Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
v1.0: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143911/gloomhaven-interac...

Still waiting on my pre-order copy, but one thing I was working on while I waited was an interactive pdf version of the Gloomhaven map (thanks to the files uploaded by the amazing Josh McDowell). This would basically be a pdf that could be used to toggle on and off the location & achievement stickers and also keep track of the Prosperity level of Gloomhaven. I wanted an easy way to be able to reset a campaign and this seemed like a relatively easy way of doing it without reprinting the map each time (though not nearly as impressive as a physical copy).

Fully stickered map (low resolution, but potentially spoilery)
Spoiler (click to reveal)

don't mind the X's at the bottom, just placed for easy access, but those are what I was using for marking off squares

I'm formatting it for the ipad though, which means there's some extra space on the sides that could be used to track other things when fit to full-screen. I was curious, those that have the game, would there be other things that would be useful to keep track of for a campaign on something like this? It'd be nice to add in some extra functionality if there's an opportunity for it. It's a bit tedious to work through as I'm setting each location up as a toggle-able button with multiple states, so I'm thinking it may be a week or two before I can get a usable version.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm also not *entirely* certain how to handle the Achievement stickers since I don't fully know how they work yet. As I understand it, the scenarios will tell you to place Achievement sticker 'X' on the map whenever the thing that triggers it happens. In the PDF version, you would just tap on the outline and a sticker shows up, BUT there's nothing to indicate which space goes with which label. I would probably need to either label each blank space with *something* or put all the achievement stickers off to the side and you click the sticker to add it to the map. Both have drawbacks, but I'm leaning towards labeling the sticker spaces with a generic description (then the label just gets covered up by the sticker). Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Callaghan
msg tools
What an excellent idea. I'm still waiting on my copy but if there's a way to export a highly detailed copy that could then be used to print out a canvas print when completed that would be an awesome centrepiece in a games room!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
A page to mark off collected treasure chests would also be nice to have.

Most global achievements just have 2 states, active or inactive, but there are a few exceptions. Some have multiple mutually-exclusive variants based on some decision point, and some have multiple instances of the achievement to collect, increasing that achievement's rank each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Snoochies wrote:
What an excellent idea. I'm still waiting on my copy but if there's a way to export a highly detailed copy that could then be used to print out a canvas print when completed that would be an awesome centrepiece in a games room!

As a PDF you *should* be able to print directly from the PDF or export as an image. Though it's a balance between having something functional and keeping the file size down vs a massive file that looks good, but is potentially too unwieldy to work with. When I get a bit further, I'll experiment with printing it out with buttons toggled on and off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:

Most global achievements just have 2 states, active or inactive, but there are a few exceptions. Some have multiple mutually-exclusive variants based on some decision point, and some have multiple instances of the achievement to collect, increasing that achievement's rank each time.

Are the Treasure chests held by the party as a whole or does each hero have their own individual collection of treasure chests?

The Achievements would toggle between their different states. So you would click/tap to get one and then click/tap to get to the next one. It would just cycle through all the states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
I'm also not *entirely* certain how to handle the Achievement stickers since I don't fully know how they work yet. As I understand it, the scenarios will tell you to place Achievement sticker 'X' on the map whenever the thing that triggers it happens. In the PDF version, you would just tap on the outline and a sticker shows up, BUT there's nothing to indicate which space goes with which label. I would probably need to either label each blank space with *something* or put all the achievement stickers off to the side and you click the sticker to add it to the map. Both have drawbacks, but I'm leaning towards labeling the sticker spaces with a generic description (then the label just gets covered up by the sticker). Thoughts?

Fun fact! The blank banners at the top of the world achievement sheet aren't just for decoration, they're also a visual guide showing you the order that they go on the map (although probably not the order you achieve them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

Are the Treasure chests held by the party as a whole or does each hero have their own individual collection of treasure chests?

The Achievements would toggle between their different states. So you would click/tap to get one and then click/tap to get to the next one. It would just cycle through all the states.

The chests are in scenarios. Once looted by the party or an individual, they're gone. You can go back and replay the scenario, but you can't re-loot the chest. So checking them off would be an available/not available (looted) option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
The chests are in scenarios. Once looted by the party or an individual, they're gone. You can go back and replay the scenario, but you can't re-loot the chest. So checking them off would be an available/not available (looted) option.

Are those the checkboxes that are on the Location stickers? Or does that just represent whether or not you've completed the scenario?

Sorry, I've been trying to avoid reading any of the posted rules so that I can just get hit in the face full force when my copy arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
mcscowl wrote:

Are those the checkboxes that are on the Location stickers? Or does that just represent whether or not you've completed the scenario?

Sorry, I've been trying to avoid reading any of the posted rules so that I can just get hit in the face full force when my copy arrives.

They are check boxes. You can unlock multiple locations at once. You place them on the map when that happens. Then when you complete the location, you can check it off (you could alternatively check it off in the campaign book as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
mcscowl wrote:

The check boxes on the location stickers are for whether or not you completed the scenario, as you said.

When you loot a chest in a scenario it just says treasure ##, and at the back of the scenario book is a listing of what the treasure number actually gives you (which is where you check it off).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gotcha, that would be something useful to track there. I'll look into adding that along with maybe some things from the Party sheet, whatever I can get to fit in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Moore
United States
Cairo
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
stop toying with me and let me download version 1!

:-P

Seriously this sounds awesome I need it for my game! Any eta on you uploading it to the files so we can play around with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
paddirn wrote:

Fun fact! The blank banners at the top of the world achievement sheet aren't just for decoration, they're also a visual guide showing you the order that they go on the map (although probably not the order you achieve them).

And some of them will get papered over. The very first achievement is placed very early in the game and papered over later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
aielman wrote:
stop toying with me and let me download version 1!

:-P

Seriously this sounds awesome I need it for my game! Any eta on you uploading it to the files so we can play around with it?

At the moment I've got two locations setup in some trial experiments last night just to get that functionality down and make sure it exported correctly. Setting up the locations will take the longest bit of time since each needs to be setup as a button with 3 states and I'm not familiar enough with it to know if there's a way to automate that portion.

Today in between real world work I've been experimenting with javascripting out some other fields such that Reputation can be incremented up/down with buttons and the Shop Price Modifier/Prosperity are auto-calculated. I delve into Javascript once every other year and have to re-learn it whenever I need it.

I actually think adding in the Party Sheet should be easy since most of the fields are just text boxes. Rather than just ugly plain text, I may play around with photoshopping in some other parchment/sheet so it blends in better with the map graphics and doesn't look like junk.

Not sure what to do about the Treasure Chests b/c I'd really prefer to fit it all on one page. Are there 95 Treasure Chests (one for each scenario)? It'd be nice to only show Treasure Chests that you've collected and not have to list out all X number of Treasure Chests and have to toggle each one on/off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sfrazer wrote:
mcscowl wrote:
paddirn wrote:

And some of them will get papered over. The very first achievement is placed very early in the game and papered over later

When you say "papered over" do you mean covered up with other stickers? If that's the case, you'd just toggle to whatever the next sticker is. I have each of the multiple versions of the stickers set up in there, so you'd just click through to whichever one you need. If it's something else... I'll have to figure something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
When you say "papered over" do you mean covered up with other stickers? If that's the case, you'd just toggle to whatever the next sticker is. I have each of the multiple versions of the stickers set up in there, so you'd just click through to whichever one you need. If it's something else... I'll have to figure something out.

Yeah he means that you just take one sticker and place it on top of another one. So in that case the toggling would work just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Page 40 in the rule book shows all of the top map stickers so you can see the shapes and colors. None of the text is there. If you look at the stickers, you can see that some of them have multiples and there are some overlays for at least one more. I have no idea if there is a sequence to the stickers - a quick read suggests that some may be mutually exclusive.

My suggestion would be to click the space and then select the appropriate one that should be there. If you want to make it like the game, then you should make the ones already used not selectable as you can't go back on the board (well, you can't with the stickers, but the same is true on the prosperity counter and you are supposed to mark lost points there and remark them when you get them back, so... take this with a grain of salt). Just make sure to give a "did you mean to do this" check for folks if you do prevent the use of an already used mark. Heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ehhhhh... I may have to scale back this plan of an interactive map via PDF as I had forgotten how wonky PDFs are with respect to iPads. Apparently all the functions that control making things visually appear and disappear aren't necessarily supported because they rely on flash. So while I can get functions to work well on a PC/Mac, they don't work consistently as intended on the ipad (they even work differently depending on the PDF app used to read them, WTF).

The portability aspect was a big thing I was going for, but unless I come across some big breakthrough I don't know that I'll be able to deliver an interactive map that works with iOS (possibly w Android, but no idea how friendly it is to flash). I may still try to finish it out just for the hell of it, but in my mind it won't really be what I was aiming for. If anyone else has any other ideas I'm open and willing to help out any way I can.

I am applying some things though to a [not nearly as impressive] Party Sheet that should at least combine all the necessary things to track a campaign in one PDF, but it'll just be a simple black&white fillable pdf with some calculations.

>curse you adobe!<
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Eh, Apple is the non-portable system. Adobe has its issues, but more because of the various implementations for individual systems. One of the big differentiators between Apple and Android when they came out was that Android supported Flash. Whee.

If you're really targeting Apple, you have to build to Apple. That means apps. Or you could stick with PDFs for those OSes that support full implementations of Acrobat.

If you plan ahead, you should be able to make the core of an app that is portable between(-ish) all three systems (iOS, Android, PC). Depends on how much effort you want to go through.

Or turn it into a web site, though that would require connectivity and cause latency in interactions due to client/server communications.

Anyway, various thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Someone had mentioned on a forum putting together an example I could use to try to create a basic svg+javascript web-appish sort of thing. I can usually reverse-engineer code to make what I need, but no idea about how to do web apps and the need for an internet connection limits that somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to drop in and say that I really appreciate your effort and the idea in basic sounds great. Thanks!

I am an Android user so I don't care much for iOS usage but in the end I would also be grateful for a pdf file I could just use on my Windows notebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
Someone had mentioned on a forum putting together an example I could use to try to create a basic svg+javascript web-appish sort of thing. I can usually reverse-engineer code to make what I need, but no idea about how to do web apps and the need for an internet connection limits that somewhat.

I'm not a developer, I just work with them, however:

It's possible to write javascript apps that are "installable" and usable offline without the use of the app store. Here's a sample version of Tetris: http://sixrevisions.com/web-development/html5-iphone-app/

More than a map, what I'd like to see someone create is a replacement for the enemy action cards. Pick which enemies you need cards for, give buttons for drawing next and shuffling. That would save a ton of time in setup and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's another thread where someone was talking about doing just such a thing and someone even mocked up a proof-of-concept for the living bones. Someone was even talking about making an app for the map portion, so maybe there's hope for that.

I'll look over that javascript, webapp thing, though I can already see all sorts of new-fangled words like SQL, database engine, and APIs. Not sure how far I'll be able to get into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.