badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Materials:
- poster frame 18/24 (frame shop) $20
- galvanized sheet metal $6
- magnets $6

Let's do this.

Materials gathered, plus some counters from base game.

The sheet metal is cut and placed under the plexiglass and map. Then it is held in place by backing of frame.

Bamp.

Then stickers on magnets, the Rebel presence markers have either a outpost or base on the back. (I am trusting there will be no spying.)

The fleet counters are made of some triangular game pieces from a game I kitbashed and counters from the base game.

However, Imperial fleet colours are wrong...

I will paint them:
- Black
- Bone White
- Crimson
- Steel

I have 4 colours to allow for choice.

There. Ready for Sunday's start. I will be the Gold Rebel in a 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty nice, as a thought while you're doing the work - The 3 Diplomat tokens actually end up on the board, you should look into magnetizing those too.

I like your idea with making fleet tokens, adds a nice reminder of who is fighting and where. I look forward to seeing the picture when it is all painted up.

I thought about doing the same thing with making the rebel presence tokens double sided, but my fear is that, long term, one or two of them might get marked up a bit and make the discerning Imperial know if one is an outpost or a base. Also, I typically play Imperial, so I wouldn't want to be the one who can tell! I'm probably being overly paranoid with that thought, but it's enough for me to just magnetize them separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supermarino wrote:
Looks pretty nice, as a thought while you're doing the work - The 3 Diplomat tokens actually end up on the board, you should look into magnetizing those too.
yes, I did that. They fit on the magnet exactly, look pretty smart.

I may just make a few rebel presence markers with no backs. I have a ton of stickers left over. The only thing I ran out of was "destroyed base".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There. Better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for this. I bought the materials today and it works great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Huffstetler
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools

Thanks so much for the tips! My map turned out awesome!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Job everybody. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi Ray,
I live in Australia and went to Officeworks and purchased packets of red, blue and black backed magnets, a magnetic whiteboard just larger than the map size, 2 thin whiteboard markers 1 blue & 1 red). They laminated the map, fleet roster sheets etc at the store.
I put the stickers on the back of the magnets and Bob's your uncle!
Works really well.
Cheers Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
supermarino wrote:
yes, I did that. They fit on the magnet exactly, look pretty smart.

I may just make a few rebel presence markers with no backs. I have a ton of stickers left over. The only thing I ran out of was "destroyed base".

Just bought the materials for this project today. It looks great. Thanks for the idea.

Just wondering, did you glue the diplomat coins to the magnets? If so what kind of glue did you use?

Thanks,
Tommy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glued. And just used super glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dag Roth
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How big were the magnets you used, Dan? I started looking for some that are close in size to the stickers and Armada counters, but those magnets are quite expensive here with me. Would the whole thing work if the magnets were rather small, say 5mm diameter x 1mm?

Additionally, how strong should the magnets be in order to work through the glass of the frame and the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.