Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It just seems like Christianity is drifting more and more towards materialism, greed, hatred, and exclusion while moving further away from Christian values like compassion.

Why would any Christian take pleasure in the suffering of others or encourage violence?

Why should any Christian pursue something like "prosperity gospel"?

Why would any Christian judge someone by their wealth and success here on earth and not their humility and faith?

Why would any Christian not associate with or ban anyone from their business based on their race/sex/religion/orientation (not talking about making a cake for a wedding they can't support)?

Why would any Christian want worldly politics spoken from the pulpit?

Why would any Christian quote and live by only the judgmental parts of Scripture while ignoring the hundreds of verses advocating grace, compassion, empathy, and love?

I'm totally perplexed by much of modern, mainstream Christianity these days.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not calling out any individual Christian or sect. I've seen many pastors speak out against these same "values" others are celebrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

It just seems like Christianity is drifting more and more towards materialism, greed, hatred, and exclusion while moving further away from Christian values like compassion.

Why would any Christian take pleasure in the suffering of others or encourage violence?

Why would any Christian judge someone by their wealth and success here on earth and not their humility and faith?

Why would any Christian not associate with or ban anyone from their business based on their race/sex/religion/orientation (not talking about making a cake for a wedding they can't support)?

Why would any Christian quote and live by only the judgmental parts of Scripture while ignoring the hundreds of verses advocating grace, compassion, empathy, and love?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not calling out any individual Christian or sect. I've seen many pastors speak out against these same "values" others are celebrating.

It's a cycle that it goes through;

Revival > long slide into gross obesity > revival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
The model would be Antebellum southern churches. People like churches that tell them things they want to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Gotta differ on this point alone -- feed the hungry, clothe the poor, etc, -- these are all issues where political solutions have impact. Advocating for systemic change in helping the homeless is political and religious behavior.

And if you believe (falsely in my view) that society is falling to the homosexual agenda, that's a thing you'd want a church to tell you about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Are certain cultures and nations who profess Christianity failing Christianity - sure.

Is Christianity failing Christianity - Nah.

Same for Islam, Judaism, etc.

I'd say across the history of humanity this has been the case, religions get hijacked and turned into idols, ideologies and touchstones to legitimise a multitude of evils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianity has always both reflected society and had a wide range of effective positions, not to mention the even wider range of personal positions.

So as to use a different example, during WWII in Britain you would find prayers to smite the Germans and pacificists. If you widened the scope to include German Christians you would have found a wider range of positions.

It's very hard to think of anything in the way of social attitudes universally (or even an overwhelming majority) agreed among Christians.

And of course Christians is in turn just an example, you could say the same thing about other religious and non-religious groups. (Except when it's part of the definition. Meat eating vegetarians are rare. At least if we exclude the ones who think eating fish, or even chicken, doesn't count.)

As for the comment about getting hijacked, it's now about 1700 years since Christianity was comprehensively hijacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

I don't know any Christians like that, because if I did, I wouldn't think they were Christians and I wouldn't want to know them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKA Halston Thrombeaux
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I don't know any Christians like that, because if I did, I wouldn't think they were Christians and I wouldn't want to know them.

I'm sure you don't know anyone who fits all those criteria, but I bet you know someone who subscribes to "The Prosperity Gospel", or can at least acknowledge that it is a real and reasonably substantial movement among modern evangelicals.

I honestly don't how you get from "It easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven", to "You can tell who God really loves because He will make them fabulously wealthy."

I mean, I know I'm caricaturing the movement there, but I don't think I'm that far off, and the whole thing truly blows my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Jythier wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I know a couple that *aren't* like that...and they've had a tough time in their own Christian circles for going against the flow...but that list describes my extended Fundamentalist family.

Edit: a couple don't really apply to people I know, not as written. The wealth thing...they certainly are very much concerned with money (keeping it, who might be taking it, people on welfare etc) but I don't think they look around and judge people based on that. And suffering of others...not knowingly. I think their news circles are filtered in such a way that they have no real idea how the policies they support affect others. Which is bad enough, in a different way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure people like to apply properity gospel. It means they can have stuff AND be Christ-like! It's kinda junky though, unless of course you've got a multi-billion dollar house you let all the homeless people around stay in or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the Christian label helps them more than not having the label. And because it's just a label, they can still act however they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some great responses. I am kind of sad Evil Trey isn't here to square off about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Prosperity Gospel what Olsteen is leading?

Dude gives me the creeps above and beyond his abnormally white teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Another way to put it is that Christians are forgetting about Christ. Some sure seem to be ignorant of what He is actually saying in the gospels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
I get that these are largely rhetorical but I'd like to tackle them based on my experience as a born-and-raised hardcore, church-thrice-weekly, northern Baptist who has had a cynical ideological falling-out with organized religion.

Shampoo4you wrote:

I'm puzzled by this one. How do you mean? Indirectly, by supporting Trump? If you're referring to Westboro types, they really are outliers.

Shampoo4you wrote:

Ye gods, yes. It's so transparently non-Christlike. But it allows Christians to have their cake and eat it too.

Shampoo4you wrote:

We sometimes use wealth and success as metrics for good ol' Protestant industriousness and work ethic. As for why NOT humility and faith: humility tends not to be associated with influence, so where's the percentage in valuing it (beyond lip service)?; and faith comes in too many different flavors, most of which are "wrong". Not many people measure up, hence it's often not a useful measure.

Shampoo4you wrote:

Um. When has this happened outside of gay wedding cakes and wedding venues? Even Chick-Fil-A serves everyone with a smile, don't they?

Shampoo4you wrote:

Power. Christians feel "under assault" by gay marriage and abortion and people who want to marginalize them with the false doctrine of separation-of-church-and-state.

Fun Fact: Did you know the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution? That means the Founding Fathers intended a theocracy!

Shampoo4you wrote:

They're human, and as spiteful and tribal as everyone else, and having a Big Book of Rules means one doesn't have to stretch one's critical thinking muscles as much as heathens do. Since so many things are carved in stone, open-mindedness is frequently equivalent to doubt, and doubt is the first step to falling from the grace of God.

All that said, I've seen tremendous selflessness in Christian communities too. The way my grandmother's congregation took care of her in her last few years blew my mind. Much of my fundamentalist Trump-voting extended family would give you the shirt off their back without fanfare and be grateful for the opportunity to make the world a slightly better place. It's tragic that these wonders so often come packaged with aggressive reliance on circular logic, low-information decision-making, and an irrational fear of the Other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
I get that these are largely rhetorical but I'd like to tackle them based on my experience as a born-and-raised hardcore, church-thrice-weekly, northern Baptist who has had a cynical ideological falling-out with organized religion.

Shampoo4you wrote:

I'm puzzled by this one. How do you mean? Indirectly, by supporting Trump? If you're referring to Westboro types, they really are outliers.

I'm talking about lots of things. General indifference (and sometimes celebration) about the suffering of Muslims in the war-torn Middle East and Africa. Indifference or caustic attitudes to people who were upset and/or fearful about Trump's election. Numerous racist incidences and hate crimes after the election. Indifference or celebration towards victims of police abuse...etc...etc.

Basically very little suffering and violence against non-Christians is confronted by Christianity at large. Individual churches may do a lot for these causes, but Christianity at large seems more concerned about other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:

Shampoo4you wrote:

Um. When has this happened outside of gay wedding cakes and wedding venues? Even Chick-Fil-A serves everyone with a smile, don't they?

For now, because they have to. But Trump wants to enact "religious protections" that would allow businesses to discriminate. And evangelicals appear to be behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Other than large churches in specific urban areas, I don't see much of what you are portraying about modern christianity.

Basically I see 2 sides...

I see those who accuse the other side of lacking empathy and lacking compassion.

i see the other side as accusing the first side as not being focued enough on salvation of sinners and the elimination of sinful habits.

Personally I think there is truth in somewhere in the middle of both camps, and scripturally both sides have an truthful relevant argument against the other. A true christian must be motivated to do both of these things, although it is also quite clear scripturally one is more important than the other, and from the first, comes the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott; it's not a lack of empathy, it's an unexamined focus on their own actualization.

Justifiers redux.

Maybe more importantly, to parahprhase you slightly

Quote:
i see the other side as accusing the first side as not being focued enough on salvation of others and the elimination of sinful habits in other people.

There are 2 central elements of the 'forgetting' group;

1) Focus on what other people are doing wrong.
2) Focus on whatever I'm currently doing as right.

Thair "focus on eliminating sinful habits" is everyone elses 'using the gospels to suit my personal needs'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliminate your own sinful habits first, I guess. As for others, worry about their salvation, sure, and THEN worry about their habits, if you're going to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Scott; it's not a lack of empathy, it's an unexamined focus on their own actualization.

Justifiers redux.

Quote:
i see the other side as accusing the first side as not being focued enough on salvation of others and the elimination of sinful habits in other people.

Thair "focus on eliminating sinful habits" is everyone elses 'using the gospels to suit my personal needs'.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying.

I'm saying they are both right and both wrong. Both groups are forgetting essential elements.

Jythier wrote:
Eliminate your own sinful habits first, I guess. As for others, worry about their salvation, sure, and THEN worry about their habits, if you're going to.

I would say those 2 go hand in hand... again, according to the scriptures...you cannot maintain a salvation and yet continue in sinful habits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKA Halston Thrombeaux
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

I would say those 2 go hand in hand... again, according to the scriptures...you cannot maintain a salvation and yet continue in sinful habits.

I thought that "salvation" could only be maintained in spite of our sinful habits, Original Sin and all that?

Obviously, I know what you're saying, I just like to be snarky about that aspect Christianity, because I find it profoundly self-contradictory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Justifiers redux.

Quote:

I'm saying they are both right and both wrong. Both groups are forgetting essential elements.

Jythier wrote:

What I'm saying is that there's an emphasis on aggressive parsing and self-centeredness that is key to the whole "Christians that forget Christianity" movement.

The movement we're talking about is all about "making the Bible serve me". We can interpret it various ways, but to interpret it self-centeredly (as is the problem) is simply wrong -- and all too common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
sao123 wrote:

I thought that "salvation" could only be maintained in spite of our sinful habits, Original Sin and all that?

Obviously, I know what you're saying, I just like to be snarky about that aspect Christianity, because I find it profoundly self-contradictory.

I'm curious what you find self contradictory.
While the concept of original seems to be mostly Catholic in nature...

Even the protestants believe something similar but possibly explain it better.

Much like a variable is undefined or null until it is initialized, sinfulness is simply the default state.

Salvation which is both a gift (must be asked for and recieved) and a covenant partnership (entered into conditionally upon mutual exchange - I will be your God and you will be my people) by the act of belief and confession as Christ as the Savior.

Until you actively take that affirmative step, you simply maintain your sinful default nature.

One does not have to be taught to be sinful, like all instict, it comes naturally. Self preservation and fear will lead to sinful behaviors such as lying, selfishness, fighting, and jealousy.

This is just like learning to overcome instinct and biology to be civilized.
You are hungry, but you don't take others food, you have sex drive, but you don't club the nearest woman and drag her to your cave.

The same can be said about overcoming the sinful nature. It is an learned but affirmative decision to continually avoid sinful behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Justifiers redux.

Quote:

Jythier wrote:

Yeah, but you're not responsible for either of those things in other people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.