Hide
6 Posts

Mistfall» Forums » General

Subject: Rules 2.0 and PnP.... better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viet Tran
msg tools
Hello! I bought this game when it released and only got in a few plays and couldnt decide if i liked it or not. Anyway I always wanted to bust it out again and I figured with rules 2.0 I would give it another whirl.

Am I suppose to use the new PNP charters with rules2.0? While reading the new 2.0 rulebook there is still pictures of the old charter I believe. Are the rules a lot different from 1.0?

My issue with the game when I played the first time was I felt the time charter was so darn punishing that I didnt have much time to move outside a linear path. Also I felt like every game I knew which upgrade cards were the best and pretty much hoarded all my gold so I could buy it when I was on the boss and just go bonkers on him. Is this by design? I felt like the game was in a way scripted in what I would do because the solution to the "puzzle" was mostly the same. Granted I didnt get very far in the campaign book but I felt it was apparent which cards were the best. perhaps this changes when you have different hero combination.

Thanks! I look forward to trying the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you would need the new charters with the new rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
Yes, you would need the new charters with the new rules

That is not entirely true. Some of the new rules (specifically: new Reward rules and the Combined Turn variant) can be used without a single new component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I'm confused now. I know there was a revised rule set that came out soon after the base game was published. Are you referring to that or to the new rule set that comes with the Heart of the Mists "expandalone"?

The revised rules for Mistfall are totally compatible with the orginal game components. I don't know anything about the Heart of the Mists rule set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Let me clarify...

Original Rules: If you got these in your Mistfall box like I did, use the ones on NSKN's website instead.

Revised Rules/FAQ: The ones on NSKN's website. Use these rules for the base game.
Rules: http://www.nskn.net/down/Mistfall/MistfallRules.pdf
FAQ and updated cards: http://www.nskn.net/en2/games/mistfall/faq/

Heart of the Mists Rules: The improvements to the base game made it into the base game revised rules so there's no need to use HOTM rules with the base game. Just read the revised rules. However, the glossary for the revised rules is actually part of the Heart of the Mists rulebook! You'll notice the glossary uses the raging enemies and rewards rule for HotM, which is different from those rules in the base game. (In other words, the rules and glossary contradict in those two points.) For a clearer understanding, see...

Updated Rules: http://nskn.net/down/HOM/HotM_Rules_Supplement_v1.1.pdf
Skip to the end of this section to see "Updated Rules" for hand size, restoration, raging enemies, and objective tokens. These are rules that were made for HotM but were decided important enough to be part of the base rules too. Most of these rules already made it into the revised rules/FAQ anyway, except the raging enemies rule is optional for the base game.

The new reward system can also be considered an updated but optional rule.

So in summary: use the revised website rules and the FAQ.
1. Hand size, restoration, objective token rules were updated and put into the base revised rules.
2. Raging enemies and reward updated rules are optional but the HotM versions made it into the base glossary and contradict the main part of the book.

I personally use just rules as written for the base game and FAQ/errata. I don't refer to anything from HotM because all the important changes made it in the revised rules. (To keep things simple I use original raging enemies and reward rules as well.) In this way you only need to refer to one book, one FAQ, and one set of errata cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing: I wish all these rulebooks have versioning printed inside as well
That will be helpful I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.