Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Overlay Tile Names rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Gloomhaven [+] [View All]
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Does a list of the overlay tile names along with images of the tiles exist anywhere? I am attempting to organize the game but am having to flip through the scenario book to find out the names of these tiles. I would like to be able to label their compartments so that they can easily be grabbed and replaced. By the names I mean: logs, boulders, hot coals, water, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering the same thing. I'll be watching this space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanH wrote:
Does a list of the overlay tile names along with images of the tiles exist anywhere? I am attempting to organize the game but am having to flip through the scenario book to find out the names of these tiles. I would like to be able to label their compartments so that they can easily be grabbed and replaced. By the names I mean: logs, boulders, hot coals, water, etc.

I looked for a list when organizing my tiles. I couldn't find one and looked through the scenario book.

I'd be willing to make a list tonight if someone doesn't get to it before then, so that people don't have to flip through the scenario book and potentially spoil themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
briezee wrote:
I'd be willing to make a list tonight if someone doesn't get to it before then, so that people don't have to flip through the scenario book and potentially spoil themselves.

I would definitely appreciate that, although I think there's a fair chance that Josh or Isaac have a reference document for that and could post it to save you some work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Well, I actually made a list some time ago, albeit without pictures. I’ll try to explain things a bit further, though, and hopefully this will help to some extent, at least for now.

Of course, first you have the various door tiles, some of which appear as a white or black fog, maybe. The corridor tiles should look like regular hexes matching the map tiles in art since their purpose is to turn several map tiles into a single room; however, pressure plates fall under this category and in the Scenario Book are accordingly outlined in grey -- They look almost like one of the trap tiles, I think. And speaking of traps, there are a couple of designs for them, maybe three? One is like a green blob-ish sort, but for the most part, none of these are meant to always stand for any sort of trap specifically, meaning each of the different tiles could represent something else in a given scenario. Then we have the treasure tiles, which are chests.

Next, we come to the hazardous terrain, which consists of hot coals and thorns. These should be easy to match up, but in the Scenario Book they’re denoted by a bright orange outline.

The difficult terrain, outlined in purple in the Scenario Book, consists of the log, rubble, stairs, and water. The water tiles come in several different sizes and might appear sort of murky. As a side note, although I do not have my copy, it’s not yet arrived, I do believe some of these tiles will appear on the back sides of others, which may complicate sorting? I don't know...

Anyway, for the final and largest portion, we have the obstacles themselves, outlined in green in the Scenario Book:

Altar (single-hex)
Barrel
Bookcase (double-hex with books atop shelf)
Boulder (single-hex, one stone)
Bush (single-hex)
Cabinet (single-hex)
Crate
Crystal (looks almost like ice)
Dark Pit (double-hex)
Fountain
Huge Boulders (triple-hex)
Large Boulders (double-hex)
Nest
Rock Column (natural-looking, almost like a stone stump)
Sarcophagus (double-hex coffin)
Shelf (double-hex with sword atop shelf)
Stalagmites (single-hex, several "stones")
Stone Pillar (man-made, looks mostly like a grey square)
Stump
Table
Totem
Tree (triple-hex)
Wall Section

Yes, and that should just about do it. Hopefully the brief descriptions will save somebody some time from having to look them all up when compiling a better list that includes the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you, that is very helpful! I couldn't figure out what the white and purple fog were for - those are for doors? It is also good to know about the different categories of objects. I had split off traps and doors as best I could tell, but didn't realize that hazardous and difficult terrain were also categories. I thought we just had a ton of different types of obstacles.

The tiles are indeed double-sided, which complicates sorting quite a bit. Some water tokens will have logs on the back, while others will have bushes on the back, for example (I'm unsure if that specific example is true).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
RyanH wrote:
Thank you, that is very helpful! I couldn't figure out what the white and purple fog were for - those are for doors? It is also good to know about the different categories of objects. I had split off traps and doors as best I could tell, but didn't realize that hazardous and difficult terrain were also categories. I thought we just had a ton of different types of obstacles.

Right, the white fog should be for the outdoor map tiles, and the darker fog ones for the cave-like map tiles -- Both were used instead of proper doors, because obviously doors as such would not exist in those places, haha... But yes, they function the same as doors.

The overlay tiles are outlined in the rulebook on pages 14-15, but basically, the hazardous terrain will act like permanent traps causing half the damage, and difficult terrain requires two points of normal movement to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone.

So today I started to make a visual index of all the map tokens in the game after reading this thread. Give me the weekend or so and I'll upload it to the files section. It'll have an image of the token and the name. Hope this will help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
Hi everyone.

So today I started to make a visual index of all the map tokens in the game after reading this thread. Give me the weekend or so and I'll upload it to the files section. It'll have an image of the token and the name. Hope this will help!

That will save me work

Will you break them down by type? (Trap, Obstacle, Door, Terrain Type, etc?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManWithBirdLikeWing wrote:
Well, I actually made a list some time ago, albeit without pictures. I’ll try to explain things a bit further, though, and hopefully this will help to some extent, at least for now.

Of course, first you have the various door tiles, some of which appear as a white or black fog, maybe. The corridor tiles should look like regular hexes matching the map tiles in art since their purpose is to turn several map tiles into a single room; however, pressure plates fall under this category and in the Scenario Book are accordingly outlined in grey -- They look almost like one of the trap tiles, I think. And speaking of traps, there are a couple of designs for them, maybe three? One is like a green blob-ish sort, but for the most part, none of these are meant to always stand for any sort of trap specifically, meaning each of the different tiles could represent something else in a given scenario. Then we have the treasure tiles, which are chests.

Next, we come to the hazardous terrain, which consists of hot coals and thorns. These should be easy to match up, but in the Scenario Book they’re denoted by a bright orange outline.

The difficult terrain, outlined in purple in the Scenario Book, consists of the log, rubble, stairs, and water. The water tiles come in several different sizes and might appear sort of murky. As a side note, although I do not have my copy, it’s not yet arrived, I do believe some of these tiles will appear on the back sides of others, which may complicate sorting? I don't know...

Anyway, for the final and largest portion, we have the obstacles themselves, outlined in green in the Scenario Book:

Altar (single-hex)
Barrel
Bookcase (double-hex with books atop shelf)
Boulder (single-hex, one stone)
Bush (single-hex)
Cabinet (single-hex)
Crate
Crystal (looks almost like ice)
Dark Pit (double-hex)
Fountain
Huge Boulders (triple-hex)
Large Boulders (double-hex)
Nest
Rock Column (natural-looking, almost like a stone stump)
Sarcophagus (double-hex coffin)
Shelf (double-hex with sword atop shelf)
Stalagmites (single-hex, several "stones")
Stone Pillar (man-made, looks mostly like a grey square)
Stump
Table
Totem
Tree (triple-hex)
Wall Section

Yes, and that should just about do it. Hopefully the brief descriptions will save somebody some time from having to look them all up when compiling a better list that includes the images.

Double sided tile pairings:

Water/Dark Pit x6
Water/Cabinet x2
Water/Stone Pilllar x6
Water/Stump x4
Water/Hot Coals (3 hex) x1
Water/Tree (3 hex) x1

Wall/Hot Coals x3
Wall/Log x3

Hot Coals/Plank corridor (1 hex) x1
Hot Coals/Fountain x1
Thorns/Stairs x2
Barrel/cobble stone corridor x3
Crate/Crystal x2
Stalagmites/Bush x6
Rock Column/Totem x6
Tree/Hot Coals x2
Shelf/Corridor x2 (Note that the shelf is not depicted as on a double hex in the scenario keys, it is depicted like the bookcases which are rectangular tiles.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
Hi everyone.

omg! thanks! i was doing the same list flipping tru scenarios to label my baggies.

also thanks a bunch for the poster abive with the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
mcscowl wrote:
Hi everyone.

That will save me work

Yes I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
briezee wrote:
mcscowl wrote:
Hi everyone.

That will save me work

Yes I am.

Josh, if it's not too much trouble, will you be including the quantities of each token as well? I'm painting/crafting up 3D terrain and want to make sure I have enough of everything. (Brie covered the double-sided stuff, but I'm still wondering about the tokens that are (I assume) the same on both sides)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remainder of tokens:

Doors:
One side open, one side closed
4 of the yellow stone/fog door
8 of the blue stone/fog door
8 of the heavy single wooden door
6 of the lighter double door

Traps:
(Names I'm picking as they aren't known as anything other than traps)
Same on both sides
6 green poison clouds
6 spiky rocks
6 spiked shields

Boulders:
Same on both sides
6 boulders
4 large boulders (2 hex)
4 huge boulders (3 hex)

Other:
Same both sides
4 bookcases
4 sarcophagi (reverse is same artwork but a greyer color cast)
3 tables (odd die cut shape)
4 alters (odd die cut shape)
6 treasure chests (gold banding one side/silver banding other side)
6 Rubble
4 Nests

Corridors:
4 Front: cobble stone Back: blue smooth stone
3 Front: yellow smooth stone Back: wooden planks
(The corridor on the back of the shelf tiles is the yellow smooth stone.

Note: I made an edit to the above post as I missed the barrel tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks Brie!

I was looking through the images of the punchboards, and I think the traps are:
poison cloud Edit: or a puddle of poison ooze?
pit trap (with spikes at the bottom)
steel trap (aka bear trap)

I can't identify the circular-ish tokens above the 3-hex boulder on this punchboard.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
Awesome, thanks Brie!

I was looking through the images of the punchboards, and I think the traps are:
poison cloud
pit trap (with spikes at the bottom)
steel trap (aka bear trap)

I can't identify the circular-ish tokens above the 3-hex boulder on this punchboard.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Pressure Plate

And your names make more sense than mine. I couldn't figure out the bear trap from the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the visual index and uploaded it. Look for it to be approved and available in the download section in the next day or two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link the the approved file in the file section:
Tokens - Visual Index

Looks like we got all the names right except the "crystal" is actually an "ice block." I may just stick with making it a crystal, since I already have the Myth elemental spawn points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. I misnamed some of the items. This is because I just went with the file name and forgot to cross check those with the scenario book. I'll go through tonight and rename the things I got wrong so they'll match the scenarios. Sorry about this! I'll post here when the new file is up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
following for new file. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realise this thread is old -- but...

I added all the overlay tiles mentioned and came up with 147. The rules mention 155. So are the rules out or is there something missing from the counts above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.