Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Port Royal» Forums » Variants

Subject: Port Royal - Rule changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mats C
msg tools
After many, many (thousands perhaps?) plays of Port Royal, we have come up with the following rule changes that we thought we would share:

A quick variant of Port Royal (which makes the game more interesting perhaps):

Deal each player a random person (though not an expedition symbol) at the start of game and then give each person 9 gold - (person_cost) to start the game. Play with normal rules, except that the winner is the first person to 14 points and any expedition.
This makes the game rather interesting with combinations such as admiral vs pirate or governor vs trader vs admiral for example. It means players have to play with all cards too (no avoiding traders entirely for example, for you may get dealt one). Raising the point limit to 14 seems necessary as otherwise the game would be very much shortened. It also follows the 1 point = 3 gold rule that many cards follow and seems to work as an appropriate adjustment.

--------------------------

During two player games of Port Royal, we have come to the following conclusions about the strength of cards in the game (in two player).

Traders -> Too weak
Jester -> Much too weak

So we have added the following adjustments for two player:

Trader -> Any time a ship is taken in your color, receive 1 gold (so either you or your opponent taking a ship of a matching color earns you gold)

Jester - Anytime you do not take a card on your opponents turn, take 1 gold. i.e. You no longer rely on the other person busting or taking the first card. Anytime you do not want a card, the jester will give you 1 gold on the opposing player's turn.

-Sorry if this is the wrong forum - First post on boardgamegeek.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to post it in the Port Royal Variants forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/156009/port-royal/forums...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
curtc wrote:
You want to post it in the Port Royal Variants forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/156009/port-royal/forums...


Better yet, Red-X (top of the thread) this thread as Wrong Forum (so an admin will move it there for you) rather than starting a second thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
curtc wrote:
You want to post it in the Port Royal Variants forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/156009/port-royal/forums...

Better yet, Red-X (top of the thread) this thread as Wrong Forum (so an admin will move it there for you) rather than starting a second thread.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee if or when an admin will do that. User moderation of thread location would be an extremely welcome addition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Unfortunately, there's no guarantee if or when an admin will do that. User moderation of thread location would be an extremely welcome addition.

Agreed, but FWIW my experience is that it usually happens in less than a day, often less than a few hours.

Especially if there is a comment explicitly noting why and where it should be moved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mats1 wrote:

Traders -> Too weak
Jester -> Much too weak

So we have added the following adjustments for two player:

Trader -> Any time a ship is taken in your color, receive 1 gold (so either you or your opponent taking a ship of a matching color earns you gold)

Jester - Anytime you do not take a card on your opponents turn, take 1 gold. i.e. You no longer rely on the other person busting or taking the first card. Anytime you do not want a card, the jester will give you 1 gold on the opposing player's turn.


So true. I don't know how this slipped by play testing. These variants are essential in both 2 And 3 player games otherwise traders and jesters become irrelevant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xorsyst xorsyst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Mats1 wrote:

Traders -> Too weak
Jester -> Much too weak

So we have added the following adjustments for two player:

Trader -> Any time a ship is taken in your color, receive 1 gold (so either you or your opponent taking a ship of a matching color earns you gold)

Jester - Anytime you do not take a card on your opponents turn, take 1 gold. i.e. You no longer rely on the other person busting or taking the first card. Anytime you do not want a card, the jester will give you 1 gold on the opposing player's turn.


So true. I don't know how this slipped by play testing. These variants are essential in both 2 And 3 player games otherwise traders and jesters become irrelevant.


Whereas, in 5-player, Jesters are one of the best cards without any modification. Even in 2p, although they are weaker cards it doesn't mean you never take them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.