Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools

Hey everybody, thanks for dropping by my thread. I had to upload this thread on a different account because I need to stop using my personal account, and use my business account instead. I've been working on a prototype for the last couple weeks and it feels too balanced to be true for the small amount of time I've worked on it. That's why i'm bringing it to you! Hopefully I can get some feedback and play testers and figure out where to go from here!

What is Yummy Humans?
Yummy Humans is a light card game for 2-4 players. You and your friends play as giants having an eating contest. Throughout the game you will try to eat the most humans while messing with other players meals, strategies and doing your best to make your friend puke!

What makes Yummy Humans Special?
Execution order! What do I mean by that? Well Yummy Humans is unique from many card games because you won't be playing cards. Instead cards get played automatically. Every player has 5 face-up cards in front of them which get played from left to right. This means that at any time you can see what your opponents are planning and what turn that plan will be executed. With this said, you do have a choice in the order in which your cards will be played, but once set, your opponents will know that order as well. Yummy Humans is a simple game with a lot of depth. The more you play, the more combinations you'll come up with, and the more turns you'll start planning ahead!

How do I win
It seems simple, eat more humans than your opponents. As you play you'll realize there is a fine balance between eating humans and trying to sabotage your opponents.

Components
There are only three components. Giant cards, Human cards and Action Cards.
After the rules section, I will talk a bit more about each of the action cards.

54 Cards
30 Human Cards
20 Action Cards
4 Giant Cards

Giant Cards

Every player starts the game with a random giant card. These cards give players bonus points at the end of the game, and help inform their strategy. These cards are hidden until the final point count at the end of the game.

Human Cards

These bad bays are your points! Each human gives you one point, and at the end of the game, whoever has the most points has won! There are five different types of humans, and six of each type. I'll get into the importance of types and those numbers in the top right in the rules!

Action Cards

Though these cards don't give you points, you'll need them to win! Action cards vary in their uses but generally they let you tamper with players strategies. There are five different Action Cards and four of each one. After the rules I will talk about each one and their uses.

Set Up

1. Remove the four giant cards and 4 vomit cards from the deck. Give each player a random giant card. These cards aren't shown to other players and are revealed at the end of the game. Give each player a vomit card.

1. Shuffle the deck of human and action cards and deal 4 face up cards in front of each player. These cards combined with the vomit each player starts with, are referred to as a players Meal cards. The five cards are referred to as a meal table. Each meal belongs to a slot in the table between 1-5 starting from the left with 1, and finishing on the far right with 5. When you deal the initial meal cards, ignore the number in the top left corner. The vomit card always begins on the far right of a players meal table.

2. Deal 5 face up cards in the middle of the table where every player can see. These cards are the games Banquet cards.

3. To determine who goes first, everybody counts the total value of all of their meal cards. This is done by adding the all of the numbers in the top right corner of their meal cards together. The player with the lowest total goes first.

4. Starting with the player who goes first, each player gets to rearrange the position of 2 cards in their meal table. Any card can be rearranged except for the vomit card which must remain on the far right.

Rules
1. At the start of your turn, consume the slot 1 meal, also known as the leftmost card in your Meal Table. Place the card on a pile in front of you.

2. If that meal was an action card, resolve the effect immediately.

3. If that meal was a human card check your next meal. If it is the same as the human card you have just consumed, consume it as well. Repeat this step until the next card is not an identical human card, or you run out of meals.

4. Once you have finished your meal, shift your remaining cards to the left so that they fill slots 1 and onward.

5. If you have any empty slots on your meal table select a card from the Banquet table. Place this card in the slot indicated by the number in the card's top right corner. '?' cards may be placed in any slot of your choice. Whenever a card is placed on top of an occupied slot move the original card, and any cards to its right, one slot to the right. Repeat this action until you have no empty slots on your Meal Table.

This human would go into your second slot from the left, and the rest of your cards would shift to the right.

***Pro Tip***
Ordering is very important. When considering which card to add to your banquet think about what turn your opponents cards will be consumed, and what turn your new card will be consumed.

5. If you have multiple humans of the same type beside each other, consume all of those humans at the same time. This means if you have a Hipster human in slot 1, and slot 2, you would consume both at the start of your turn.

***Pro Tip***
Consuming multiple humans in one turn is the easiest way to get ahead. Try to have humans of the same type adjacent to each other in your meal table.

When does the game end?
The game ends when the deck is empty and there are no more banquet cards to select from. This means that the game ends before you consume your final 5 meal table cards. Once the game is over players count how many humans they've eaten to determine the players score. Players then reveal their giant, and add any bonus points they've earned through the game to their score.

Tie Breaker
In the case of a Tie, the player who has eaten the most of a single type of human wins.

That's all of the rules! I tried to be extremely thorough and I will also be adding and updating a FAQ.

Action Cards In Depth

Shuffle

When this card is played, you may choose any meal table, including your own, and reorder the cards in it anyway you like. This card is great for grouping or separating multiple of the same human in a row. It can also be used to disrupt the order your opponents action cards are played.

Protect

When this card is played, all action cards are cancelled until your next turn. This is good for throwing a wrench in peoples plans, but watch out, vomit cards count as actions!

Steal

When this card is played, you may select an opponents first slot meal and consume it as if it was your own. This means you will get to use the effect if it is an action card. If it is a human card with duplicates adjacent, you will also steal those humans.

Swap

When this card is played, select any two cards in any players meal tables and swap them. You can swap 2 of your own, one of your own with an opponents, or one of your opponents with another opponents.

Vomit

When this card is played, you must select two humans you have consumed and return them into the deck.

Download PnP Here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_wER_ZUNdtKck5zTzgxSDNkWj...

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I will appreciate any feedback you have for me. This is my first game and I hope to publish it near the end of this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
Update Log

Update 0.1
So after some playtesting at work, i've made a few changes to the game! I thought I would keep track of all changes in an update log, so I'll keep that as the second post in this thread!

Changes
- Determining who goes first.
Instead of an arbitrary condition, players will now count the total of all of their meal's slot numbers. Since better cards usually have a higher value, the player with the lowest combined value will start.

- Tie Breaker.
Players felt like the previous tie breaker was too arbitrary so I've changed it. If there is a tie, the player who has the highest amount of one type of human will win.

Update 0.2

Additions
- Starting Swap
I found that the randomness of the starting meal table was effecting the game so I added this new rule. When you begin the game you can rearrange the location of 2 cards in your meal table.

- ? Meal Slot Values
I wanted to increase the number of combo consumptions so I increased the amount of each set, and reduced the number of sets. The way i added a new card to each set was by adding the ? slot value. When you grab a card with a ? from the banquet, you can put it anywhere in your meal table.

Changes
- Protect
Instead of making protect cancel all action cards, it now only cancels action cards targeting you.

Update 0.3

Changes
- Vomit and Swap
I swapped the slot value of Vomit and Swap to make swapping vomit easier to pull off.

- Vomit Buff
Vomit now gives you a bonus 2 points at the end of the game. There is now a risk reward to having vomit in your meal table, which i hope adds some more excitement and strategic play.

Update 0.4 (The Giant Update)

Additions
- Giants
Every player now begins with a random Giant cards. Giant cards are a hidden bonus that each player gets at the end of the game. Play styles will emerge for each giant, adding to variance in play.

Changes

- Skip Removal
Skip is no longer part of the game! People were feeling as if it was under powered, and with the addition of giant cards, there is no longer room for skip!

- Vomit Nerf
Vomit has been nerfed! Vomit no longer gives players bonus points at the end of the game. This is because Giants now give bonus points, and there is one more change to vomit that validates this nerf...

- Repressing Vomit
Every player now starts with a vomit in their 5th slot. This change was made for both thematic and balance reasons, but I don't want to get into them too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
The other post will be deleted shortly. Just waiting for BGG to delete my other account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Simpson Wedge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
This looks brilliant. I do like sequence mechanics and the theme is really entertaining!

I have two rules questions about setup step 3.

1. Shouldn't step 4 of setup happen before step 3? Otherwise how do we decide which order players make their swaps?

2. Swap with what? Banquet table cards? Opponents cards? Any card in the deck? Swap their positions? I assume it's not the latter as this is called rearranging in step 5. On my first read I took it to mean Sep with the banquet but that isn't explicit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
JSWedge wrote:

I have two rules questions about setup step 3.

1. Shouldn't step 4 of setup happen before step 3? Otherwise how do we decide which order players make their swaps?

2. Swap with what? Banquet table cards? Opponents cards? Any card in the deck? Swap their positions? I assume it's not the latter as this is called rearranging in step 5. On my first read I took it to mean Sep with the banquet but that isn't explicit.

Thank you for pointing these out! Firstly you're correct, people should determine the order first, then sequentially swap their cards. I changed the order of those 2 steps.

Secondly I was very unclear with the swap. I reworded it in the original post, but what I meant was, players rearrange the order of 2 cards in their meal table.

Lastly I just want to thank you for having the time to read this! Regarding the development of the game I have some pretty big news that I will probably post later today, but it looks like i'll be able to become a board game publisher in 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Simpson Wedge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Sounds very exciting indeed!

I have another clarification question- when it says "Place both your consumed action cards and human cards in a pile in front of you." is that one pile, or two (one for humans, one for actions)?

If it's just one then might it be clearer to move this up into 1. For example;

Quote:
1. At the start of your turn, consume the slot 1 meal, also known as the leftmost card in your Meal Table. Place the card on a pile in front of you.

2. If that meal was an action card, resolve the effect immediately.

3. If that meal was a human card check your next meal. If it is the same as the human card you have just consumed, consume it as well. Repeat this step until the next card is not an identical human card, or you run out of meals.

4. Once you have finished your meal, shift your remaining cards to the left so that they fill slots 1 and onward.

4. Select cards from the Banquet until your meal table is back at 5 cards. Cards selected from the banquet MUST go into the meal table slot indicated on the top right of the card.

Actually this leads me to another question. What happens to meal cards that are already in those numbered slots? Presumably I can only take cards to fill empty slots so most cards will need to be numbered 4 or 5?

Otherwise sliding the cards down the meal actually makes it harder to refill your table doesn't it? It also means that the pro-tip about planning where to put the card is kinda irrelevant- it always goes in the 5 slot first right?

Also, what happens if none of the Banquet cards are '?' or a number you need? Do you just leave the slot empty? If you want it filling perhaps you could add a rule that you have to take the highest numbered card if you can't find one with the number you need etc. Or would it be easier to take cards from the banquet table and then slide the plates along?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for rewarding the rules! I actually updated the post to use your version word for word.

Quote:
Actually this leads me to another question. What happens to meal cards that are already in those numbered slots? Presumably I can only take cards to fill empty slots so most cards will need to be numbered 4 or 5?

So I may need to word my rules in a better way, but the card you take from the banquet goes into the slot specified, even if that slot is full. The rest of the cards in your meal table are shifted accordingly. Let's say your meal table is 1-4 as it would be if you just consumed your first human. If I took a card that belonged in meal slot 2, the cards in my 2nd to 4th slot would shift to the right to accommodate the new card. If you can think of a way to clarify this, I would be super appreciative.

I also hope this answers your further questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Simpson Wedge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
InnerAkumaGames wrote:
Thanks for rewarding the rules! I actually updated the post to use your version word for word.

So I may need to word my rules in a better way, but the card you take from the banquet goes into the slot specified, even if that slot is full. The rest of the cards in your meal table are shifted accordingly. Let's say your meal table is 1-4 as it would be if you just consumed your first human. If I took a card that belonged in meal slot 2, the cards in my 2nd to 4th slot would shift to the right to accommodate the new card. If you can think of a way to clarify this, I would be super appreciative.

I also hope this answers your further questions!

It does indeed, and I'm glad the suggestions were useful. When I first read through the rules I thought that was how it worked, but then upon a closer read I got confused by what the actual text said. The example with the nerdy human works very well. It might be nice to see it in a diagram with arrows (e.g. you put the card in and all the cards to the right have an arrow pointing back up the track).

As well as the example I think rule five just needs that clarifying, and possibly splitting into two rules, perhaps something like the following;

Quote:
5. If you have any empty slots on your meal table select a card from the Banquet table. Place this card in the slot indicated by the number in the card's top right corner. '?' cards may be placed in any slot of your choice. Whenever a card is placed on top of an occupied slot move the original card, and any cards to its right, one slot to the right. Repeat this action until you have no empty slots on your Meal Table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you John, i've added the revisions! When I have the rule book draft finished, do you think it's possible that I could send it to you for you to review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Simpson Wedge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Sure I'm happy to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
Big News!

A mobile game company at my coworking office space has decided to work on a digital version of the game after playing it a few times. They love the game and want to work together with me to digitalize it. So far the have the basic logic and mechanics down! I'm very excited that a company was this interested in my product, and imagine this is a good sign.

I also found an illustrator/animator who wants to partner up with me on the project! His name is patrick diaz and you can find his work here: http://patrick-dias.com/

The wheels are turning and i'm hoping that i'll be able to launch a kickstarter in 6 months time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akira Kato
Canada
flag msg tools
Giant Update!

After a month of play testing I realized this game needed some variance in play to add to the excitement of the game. My solution was to add the giants. Giants give a player bonus points at the end of the game for following a certain strategy. This means that each time a player plays their strategy will be slightly different.

I think this is also a bonus thematically. One feedback I got a couple times was that the games theme could be interchangeable because the mechanics don't feel like the are necessarily about an eating contest. The giants will help solidify the theme a bit, but moving forward I aim to change action cards names to make them feel more like actions in an eating contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.