Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation:

Dispatcher rolls his dice. He takes 3 actions then decides to re-roll the last two dice. He rolls 2 bio-hazards (because this game hates me...) The bio-hazards cause an epidemic (did I mention this game hates me?). We take the dice from the Treatment Center, draw the correct number of infection dice from the bag, roll them all and place accordingly. Now for the question: After all this, do we have to draw more dice from the bag and infect again immediately since his turn is over? I'm guessing we do (because this game hates me).

Am I playing this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your turn isn't over until you've infected regions. The infections which occurred due to the epidemic are separate from the infect regions phase at the end of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I assumed that was the case but was hoping someone would tell me different. Even if you had to lie!

This games seems MUCH more difficult to win than vanilla Pandemic. Maybe I'm not pushing my luck and re-rolling enough dice to get the actions I need. Every loss has been due to outbreaks. Infection dice have gotten low but never in real danger of losing that way. Epidemic track has only made it as far as the last segment once. All on Standard difficulty. 8 games, 8 losses. Time for a revolution.....

.....number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, I feel your pain. I've yet to win this fucking game myself. It's frustrating, yet I keep coming back for more. I'm having a hard time convincing people (most of whom enjoy Pandemic the board game) to play this more than once because the losses have been so brutal so far. I've almost considered playing at the Intro difficulty level but I don't know if that would even help. I have the expansion but I'd like to at least win a few times before introducing the expansion. With my current plan, I may never get to play that expansion. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aspiringloser wrote:
Dude, I feel your pain. I've yet to win this fucking game myself. It's frustrating, yet I keep coming back for more. I'm having a hard time convincing people (most of whom enjoy Pandemic the board game) to play this more than once because the losses have been so brutal so far. I've almost considered playing at the Intro difficulty level but I don't know if that would even help. I have the expansion but I'd like to at least win a few times before introducing the expansion. With my current plan, I may never get to play that expansion. shake

I'm with ya buddy!

Yet to win on Introductory level! I still love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe all the game wanted was a bit of my pride. After whining publicly, I won the next game. Randomly selected Medic, Scientist and Generalist. That's a pretty good team. Rolled a LOT of crosses and burned through a lot of Event Cards. Even so, got down to rolling to cure the last disease - yellow - and with six dice rolled 552+++. (Ah, yes, the game hates me.) Then the very next turn the medic rolls 3 bio-hazards. I'm thinking, "here we go again!" Luckily the Scientist grabbed two more samples, passed them off to the Generalist and she cured with EIGHT dice.

For those scoring at home, that is 2 wins out of 12 games. One on Intro, one on Standard difficulty - though it seems irrelevant as I lose due to outbreaks long before the epidemic/bio-hazard track is a factor.

I'm afraid to take the shrink wrap off the Experimental Meds box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is possible!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aspiringloser wrote:

My 2 cents. Open the expansion, mix in the base game both new roles and new events. Set aside new dice (5th disease and challenge). And start winning.
The expansion includes 3 mini expansions that can be integrated separately. While the 5th disease and the challenges make the game harder, the new roles and new events make it easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Draper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This makes me want the expansion more if that's the case. I got this yesterday and have 4 plays and 4 losses. All, again, because of the runaway effect of epidemics leading to outbreaks. It's clear that minimising the size of the treatment center pile is very important.

I've only ever played with pairs of roles so far so maybe three is the way to go, though I don't usually enjoy managing multiple roles. So far I have used the Dispatcher/Researcher combo twice, and also Dispatcher/Medic combo twice. Using Medic more than double the number of turns I manage to fit in a game before getting DESTROYED, but destruction comes nonetheless.

Final note: I cured one disease by the end of plays 3 and 4. It might help my chances if I didn't always forget about being able to treat all cured dice at once when in the middle of treating a selection of different dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.