Popular Tags: [View All]
Lori Feenstra
United States
Osterville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering what the best entry level (fairly simple) GMT game would be..any suggestions? I am currently playing Victory Point's Ottoman Sunset, and Hapsburg Eclipse... History wise, I like ancient to WW1.
Thanks in advance for help! Oh, for 1-2 players..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Aicardimom wrote:
I am wondering what the best entry level (fairly simple) GMT game would be..any suggestions? I am currently playing Victory Point's Ottoman Sunset, and Hapsburg Eclipse... History wise, I like ancient to WW1.

First one that comes to mind would be Commands & Colors: Ancients. That system is pretty straight forward and not hard to get into. Not a great solo experience since there are cards involved, but as a two player game it may be something to take a look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre Lots of game for the money. Napoleonic era tactical game with very low rules overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fading Glory is a GMT edition of a VPG series, Napoleonic 20. You get 4 games with great components for a good price. The basic rules are very easy, and you can add optional rules to your taste. Might be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington's War when C&C gets boring and you want the next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gocamels wrote:
Manoeuvre Lots of game for the money. Napoleonic era tactical game with very low rules overhead.

Not recommended for solo play I believe though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danger Here wrote:
gocamels wrote:

I have played it solo. It works as well as most any other tactical game. It fits use cards, but I didn't have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aicardimom wrote:

I think you'll have to define what entry level means to you. In my experience, none of the GMT war games are truly entry level. That's not a criticism. I think GMT makes great games. However, their simpler games tend not to be their war games (Thunder Alley, by way of example).

A truly entry level war game would be something from Tiny Battles or one of the smaller games from Victory Point. Last King of Scotland from VPG certainly fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find GMT's offerings for beginner wargames a little lacking. I might recommend Triumph & Tragedy, but it doesn't play well solitaire. There is a Compass game, however, that I find is a very good beginner wargame and is equally interesting solo or two player, and even falls in your period spectrum, and that is The Lamps Are Going Out, which is a strategic-level game covering WWI.

The C&C games, while possibly entertaining, don't really share much with other wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients and Manoeuvre are the right answers (note that Manoeuvre is currently on GMT's 'specials' discount list, and there's a sale coming probably next month - don't buy the last copy before I get one!)

I'll make three suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet:
- Conquest of Paradise; just reissued with upgraded components & mounted board; plays great solitaire, two-player, 3-4 player. Not really a 'wargame', but loads of historical feel.
- Genesis: Empires and Kingdoms of the Ancient Middle East; if you want something strategic and a little deeper, in a CDG style; rulebook is a little cryptic (heavy with acronyms), but actually pretty straight forward system. Solitaire-able.
- If you want something tactical - there's a couple of the American Revolution games on the Specials list, and the 'American Revolution TriPack' is coming up soon on the P500; looks like a great value. Again, a solid step up from C&C or Manoeuvre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look at Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - but definitely 2-player, not solo.

Slightly more complex but you seem to like WW1 so I'll mention it is Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914; WW1's opening months in France, and very suitable to solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gocamels wrote:
Danger Here wrote:
gocamels wrote:

I have played it solo. It works as well as most any other tactical game. It fits use cards, but I didn't have a problem.

Good cos I just picked it up myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danger Here wrote:
gocamels wrote:
Danger Here wrote:
gocamels wrote:

Good cos I just picked it up myself

Cool. If you've ever played both sides of CoH, Combat Commander, etc., you should have no trouble playing both sides of Manoeuvre, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I personally find GMT's offerings for beginner wargames a little lacking. I might recommend Triumph & Tragedy, but it doesn't play well solitaire. There is a Compass game, however, that I find is a very good beginner wargame and is equally interesting solo or two player, and even falls in your period spectrum, and that is The Lamps Are Going Out, which is a strategic-level game covering WWI.

The C&C games, while possibly entertaining, don't really share much with other wargames.

The Lamps are Going Out is an excellent choice, really love it. My suggestion since I started a similar way to you via Ottoman Sunset: Pick a few VPG games you think you would like and go from there. Maybe a magazine game here and there. Before you know it, as you get more familiar, you will start to expand and try larger games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Heavily depends on what mechanics you enjoy or are interest into.

I found Clash of Giants (WWI) to be a great entry point for hex & counter mechanics, introducing Zones of Control, Movement Allowances, Supply and the like. From there you can move on to more complex games. About 12 pages of rules or so.

As for Card Driven Games, you should probably start with Twilight Struggle. Fantastic game, although the topic (Cold War) might not be your thing. But from there you can easily pick up Paths of Glory (WWI), a brilliant strategic game. Maybe 10 pages of rules for Twilight Struggle (but very easy to learn), 24 or so for Paths of Glory.

The Battles of the American Revolution (BAR) are also on the less complex side of things, and should give a decent introduction to tactical/grandtactical gaming (although I am by no means a fan of the series). 12 pages of rules or so.

With the exception of Twilight Struggle all these games are easily played solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
I think the Nappy 20/Fading Glory is sneaky complex, more towards moderate complexity than low. It does have few counters.

If you've never moved units across a map before I'd suggest something other than a hex and counter game.

Already suggested...

Washington's War is good and easy CDG.

Command & Colors (Ancients is more complex, I would suggest Battle Cry--not by GMT but same system/designer)

Manouvre

If you go hex and counter now or later, Clash of Giants is a good choice. Newly released Civil War looks 2 have few counters. CoG 2's Ypres battle starts with very few counters on map and is fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Feenstra
United States
Osterville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Overwhelming! thank you so much for all your help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
command and colors ancients + ccancients.net for scenarios gives a LOT of bang for the buck.

Manoeuvre is more abstract but fun with lots of combinations of armies to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
You should look at Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - but definitely 2-player, not solo.
Seconding this. It's very aesthetically pleasing, and it asks players to make excruciating decisions turn after turn, yet it isn't anywhere near complex. In short, it's perfect for friends you haven't dragged down the wargaming rabbit-hole (yet).

But do keep in mind it is entirely based on deduction and bluffing, so you'll get nought from it in solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra BC
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaping Lemmings - while the subject matter is "cute", it's got all the essentials (ZOCs, etc). Kids (well, my kids...) love it. And there's an exceptionally cheap copy on EBay at the moment, which is what brought it to mind.

For those who sniff in disdain, see this forum thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'll throw in Talon, although it's a space warfare game. Not exactly Pre-WWII.

Exceptionally simple rule set that provides a good play, you can go straight into scenario 3 or 4 on your first play if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

IMHO no other than Men of Iron could be an excellent entry level game from GMT.

It is not too hard in rules and covers some of the most famous battles during the Middle Ages, from the tactical point of view.

Also, this game is 'solitaire friendly' since there is no hidden deployment nor information that any player could not see.

And then you can pursue the other member of this 'family', those are Infidel and Blood & Roses, with Arquebus: Men of Iron Volume IV in GMT P500 pre publication now and scheduled to release in July of this year.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Try Fading Glory. It teaches basics of hex and counter wargames. It includes multiple scenarios and maps. Nice components.

Solo Warning: after a learning game or two, these may fall flat when playing solo.
Commands and Colors, Manoeuvre, Memoir 44, Sekigahra, and Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
marque du lion wrote:
I think the Nappy 20/Fading Glory is sneaky complex, more towards moderate complexity than low. It does have few counters.

If you've never moved units across a map before I'd suggest something other than a hex and counter game.

Prussia 20 was actually my second wargame, having learned the foundations of ZOCs, CRTs, etc., in Battle for Moscow (second edition). And while I'd agree with you that there is far more to it than in Chadwick's design, I can't say it would've sent me screaming from the hobby.

Quite the opposite, actually: I think it's got one of the most elegant rulebooks and rule systems I've played yet (which, admittedly, isn't a whole heap). It's well laid out and moves players onto more complex stuff only when they're ready for it. It seems purpose-built to ease players into the experience of both the system in particular and wargaming as a whole.

Just my experience with it, mind. YMMV and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider trying the No Retreat! series. I have the Italian Front version and enjoy it, but it might be the most complex of the series so far. Maybe try the first in the series, which simulates the Eastern Front. The designer, Carl Paradis, is very responsive, here on BGG, if that is a factor for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.