Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I all find the Exalt tokens wicked unfun. I'm happy for everyone who thinks they are innovative or well-balanced or thematic. This is the variant forum and I want to think of something else to use them for so please don't argue the why.

So:
An Exalt token on a task blocks one of the spaces things can be deployed to. A success can be used to clear one as usual.

For research, satellites, and planes, it's easy. Just put it on one of the three spots.

For base defense, they shield the monster slot they are on. Effectively giving one more hitpoint to the monster. You can add monsters to un-exalted spots first.

For missions, they make the mission dangerous as before. This is the part it actually feels themey and right to have the d6 for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Seems a lot easier than the actual rule (often you just won't care that a space is blocked for research/global defense), but makes sense as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with this version is that a single Exalt token is pretty toothless. The advantage is that a paired token is significantly more painful than an unpaired one, so you have a compelling reason to mop up rather than writing off or accepting paired tokens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy them as is, they do make the game a bit harder, forcing you to abandon a task before you'd like ... but I do understand the need to view them in a more abstract way.

My question about your variant ... do you still consider the task to be 'dangerous', rolling the d6 when a token is present, or just use the tokens simply to block spots? [Admittedly, 'dangerous' is used as a catch all phrase, but could have just as easily used the term 'difficult']

I can see combining your variant with the official rules, although that will increase the difficulty again (which is okay, coop games are just as fun to lose together as they are to win together) ... if you do that, I'd be interested in hearing of your experience when you test it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be okay with all six EXALT research tokens being on the board. By the mid-game, I want to have enough to do with my scientists that I'm only putting three on the board anyway.

That's moderately true with the original rules, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.