Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Just wondering, does the game have a fail state that forces you to start from scratch (hard to do in legacy)? Or does the campaign roll along despite failures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no penalty for failing a scenario, you can always try it again immediately or go elsewhere first if there is another option and come back later.

And even if you fail a scenario you get to keep any gold, items and experience you got while trying. Though 'treasures' can only be received once. They will not be there if you return after taking them.

But the campaign doesn't advance from a fail. Only when a scenario is successfully completed are the campaign progression effects enacted.

Once a scenario is successfully completed you can return to it in casual mode to gain xp, but it can never be entered again in campaign mode by ANY party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolls along due to the legacy nature. Once something is completed it stayed completed. You could use the variant perma-death rules if you want to make it slightly more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrianna O'Shea
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
There isn't a way to fail and be forced to start the campaign over, but there is a hardcore mode in the rulebook if I remember correctly. If you are exhausted, you have to start again with a new character (will be at the same scenario with the rest of the party, but with lower level, less items, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
adriannaoshea wrote:
There isn't a way to fail and be forced to start the campaign over, but there is a hardcore mode in the rulebook if I remember correctly. If you are exhausted, you have to start again with a new character (will be at the same scenario with the rest of the party, but with lower level, less items, etc)

Not quite. If you are exhausted due to running out of cards, you are not killed.
Being killed means dropping to zero hit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeandoozz jeandoozz
msg tools
Maybe spoilerish but : are there scenarios that you can attempt only once and keep the result whatever it is ? I mean if you succeed, then the story unfolds one way and if you fail, then it unfolds another way and there's no coming back ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is: if you lose the scenario and chose to move on, you do keep what you've collected (loot/experience), but don't get the experience bonus you'd get from winning. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you have to complete scenarios to progress the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
There's no "mercy win" mechanic like in Pandemic Legacy, if that's what you're asking. There are a few options after a loss. You can retry the scenario immediately, with no road event, which usually gives you a slightly better starting position. You also know the scenario better and can change up your build to handle what's there. You also keep money and EXP, so maybe you've leveled up or can buy an item that will help. There's also probably going to be several scenarios available at any given time. Lastly, if all else fails and you're really stuck, you can lower the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question I have that is related to this is are there multiple endings? The story has been characterized as branching but does it branch to multiple possible endings (like Choose Your Own Adventure books) or do those branches eventually converge again (like Mass Effect)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
One question I have that is related to this is are there multiple endings? The story has been characterized as branching but does it branch to multiple possible endings (like Choose Your Own Adventure books) or do those branches eventually converge again (like Mass Effect)?

That would be a HUGE spoiler, so if you find out, keep it to yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding out if there are multiple endings or only one ending, without any details about what those are or what the options are, would be a huge spoiler? I'm not sure what that would be spoiling. Certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of Mass Effect 3 knowing that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
all roads eventually lead back to Earth.

YMMV. If I do find something out, I won't post it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EventHorizon wrote:
Finding out if there are multiple endings or only one ending, without any details about what those are or what the options are, would be a huge spoiler? I'm not sure what that would be spoiling. Certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of Mass Effect 3 knowing that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
all roads eventually lead back to Earth.

YMMV. If I do find something out, I won't post it.

Opinions may vary, but finding out about game end conditions before I even receive my game and possibly playing the campaign for 2 years would certainly constitute a huge spoiler to me. I appreciate your forbearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fair. I'm mostly curious because every other board game campaign I have played has been either directionless/storyless and randomly generated or completely linear 1-2-3-4-5-etc. I have had fun with both of those but this is the first one with a branching storyline that I have encountered and I wonder how it is handled from a structural and design perspective. It's a fascinating design challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.