First, the rules:
RRG, Massive, page 17 wrote:
• A Massive figure can end its movement in spaces that contain
blocking terrain and/or other figures. Any figures in its spaces
are pushed into the closest empty space of its controller’s
choice (taking impassable terrain into account). The player
moving the Massive figure pushes friendly figures first, and
then other players push their figures.

So what constitutes "the closest empty space" when the figure pushed is large?

A rancor moves on top of a nexu in the following way. Where can the nexu be pushed?

I imagine all the opaque squares (transparent represents where the nexu can end up due to being large) are possible locations but I can see why people would find this unintuitive and protest.

Am I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Push uses the figure's move rules (only orthogonal for Large figures) and is performed one space at a time, the only valid end result is B3-C4, because it takes only move 1 space.

All other end positions would take 2 to 4 moves for the Nexu to end up in.

According to the probable intent, the rule should use the least spaces pushed for valid end of movement, not the closest empty space. For small figures that is almost the same, but it matters for Large figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Furcas
Italy
Serramanna
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[S**TPOST]
I suppose the large figure dies, and probably the massive one too trips on the dead body of the first one and breaks its neck. Or twists its cannons and renders himself useless.
Especially on a PBF.
Of Jabba's Realm campaign.
Where I'm Fenn.
That got quite specific. ninja
[/S**TPOST]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
According to the probable intent, the rule should use the least spaces pushed for valid end of movement, not the closest empty space. For small figures that is almost the same, but it matters for Large figures.

I'm not sure I agree that's the probable intent.

It would mean that, in the following case, the nexu would be pushed to the other side of the rancor (to F3/G4, highlighted) and not to the adjacent spaces B2 or B5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are always corner cases in the ability interactions.

We'll see if Clipper agrees or we need to get a more official ruling.

(In the campaign heroes already look at good places for their figures to not leave a 2x2 empty space for the Nexu to move or Pounce into. How thematic is that?)

Edit: I would say it is certainly not the intent to not let a large figure overlap with its old position after the push.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, we need to imply the obvious intent. In fact, I think we have to imply the same obvious intent that we have for shooting doors that you are standing in front of with another figure on the other space of the door...

That intent is pretty much that for abilities involving finding empty spaces, ignore your own figure.

I would add another inferred rule that you are looking for spaces closest to one of the spaces of overlap, not spaces closest to the Nexu as a whole... this one is a little harder to justify without a written rule, but it seems logical.

Finally, I disagree that you should take the Nexu's Largeness into account when choosing the destination space. What you should do is look at all the spaces within 1 space of the overlapped space/s. Can the Nexu end its movement without overlap while sharing any of those spaces? If so, choose one such location. Otherwise, look at the spaces within two spaces of the overlapped space/s and repeat until you find a placement.

So in this example:

There are actually two spaces within 1 space of the overlap: B2 and B5. The Nexu must move to one of those two spaces. The indicated placement is not going to be valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Question:
What happens if a large figure (jabba) is in a position that it can't move out of (like on a certain spot in the landfill skirmish map) and a Massive figure lands on top of it and pushes it?

When this happens, Jabba should be pushed in such a way that he ends in a legal position requiring the fewest number of spaces pushed, following his normal movement rules (for example, large figures cannot move diagonally).

In the extremely rare case where this fails (there is not legal space for Jabba to move to, but there is an opening he can’t fit through), place Jabba in the legal position that is the fewest number of spaces away from his current position, following normal rules for counting spaces.

Hope that helps!

Todd Michlitsch
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
tmichlitsch@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this makes the analysis I made above incorrect, too. My thoughts had changed in the meantime, so I would have said something if I remembered this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.