Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played last night, had a blast. Huge kudos on the design, Kurt! But we did have some rules questions.

1. I understand that making change is free-form and central to the design. But are there any restrictions on when and how it can happen? For instance, in our game, I had a 6-pt block take three hits of arty fire. I had no 1-4 pt blocks in my pool. Am I supposed to swap in and shuffle from the board? Seemed strange, and would give unintended intel. That said, we got in that situation because it also seemed to me that players are incentivized to have as many hexes as possible with three blocks -- it's only to your advantage recon- and fog-of-war-wise.

2. Related, does change always have to come from the available pool? What if blocks aren’t available?

3. The interplay between purchasing artillery maintenance points, purchasing artillery counters, and the six-counter limit (in concert with making change) was incredibly opaque to me. As was where purchased artillery counters “go.” Available immediately? Are they not even on the player board during the production phase? Can you have eight counters purchased but then you have to choose from six up to your Arty Maint number?

A detailed example of play with few different situations illustrating specifically when everything happens, and where the counters go during this procedure here might be helpful. Actually, I know it would be super-helpful for me!

Air seems far more clear-cut.

4. I’m with Chris here in this thread as pertains to his follow-up questions –- Strat Reorgs still aren’t totally clear to me. Can Strat Reorgs move SPs to a friendly unoccupied hex? (Assuming all the conditions of supply line and not vacating a hex, etc. are met?)

5. Also, we had the same questions he had about OOS/losing a supply line during an Action Phase and after Allocate Supply. It may be helpful to bullet point what restrictions that occur with an OOS marker, and with losing a supply line during an Action Phase.

(From the same thread.)

OK, I totally did not get that from the rules. 6.7.5 is the effects of being OOS; this is clearly the penalty for being marked, but it doesn't make a distinction between not currently having a supply line and having an OOS counter. 6.7.2, 2nd para, talks about gaining and losing a supply line, and the fact that when checking supply during an action phase, the current state is used rather than its state during the Production phase (2nd sentence). But it's just not clear the implications from that rule. 7.2 clarifies that units without a supply line have a problem moving, but the combat rules make no statement at all about supply ... can you really fight at full effectiveness, including full use of artillery, tanks, stosstruppen, etc., without a supply line?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
Played last night, had a blast. Huge kudos on the design, Kurt!

Thanks.

AlbertaClipper wrote:

1. I understand that making change is free-form and central to the design. But are there any restrictions on when and how it can happen? For instance, in our game, I had a 6-pt block take three hits of arty fire. I had no 1-4 pt blocks in my pool. Am I supposed to swap in and shuffle from the board? Seemed strange, and would give unintended intel. That said, we got in that situation because it also seemed to me that players are incentivized to have as many hexes as possible with three blocks -- it's only to your advantage recon- and fog-of-war-wise.

A player can make change when moving or when taking losses from combat. In your example you are correct to assume that change would need to be made from the board and it may provide intel. I agree that players who wish to make air recon tough on their opponent are incentivized to keep three blocks in every hex. However, the forcepool will, by design, limit that.
As a side note, there are some deceptive advantages to having a mix of hexes with one, two, or three blocks.

AlbertaClipper wrote:

2. Related, does change always have to come from the available pool? What if blocks aren’t available?

Technically yes, they come from the pool. See 7.2.1 paragraph 2. Blocks can be consolidated in one hex so that others are made available in the forcepool. The blocks that returne to the forcepool can be used immediately.
I do notice that the text states active player. This would apply to the passive player taking a combat loss. I’ll add that to my FAQ/Clarifications list.

AlbertaClipper wrote:

3. The interplay between purchasing artillery maintenance points, purchasing artillery counters, and the six-counter limit (in concert with making change) was incredibly opaque to me. As was where purchased artillery counters “go.” Available immediately? Are they not even on the player board during the production phase? Can you have eight counters purchased but then you have to choose from six up to your Arty Maint number?

At the end of the 2nd action phase you would have completed the refresh of air and artillery counters (7.6) thus all artillery would have moved from the used box to the available box. Thus during the production phase all of the artillery counters are in the available box.
All counters purchased or increased in value are available immediately. See 6.5 paragraph 2.
No, you can never have more than 6 counters. If your arty maint number is 12, you can use up to five counters to comprise that total (the 6th counter is the bluff, value 0). Thus you could have for example values 4, 4, 2, 1, 1 or maybe 4, 3, 3, 1, 1 etc. As you increase your arty maint the subsequent value of the five counters increases.

AlbertaClipper wrote:

A detailed example of play with few different situations illustrating specifically when everything happens, and where the counters go during this procedure here might be helpful. Actually, I know it would be super-helpful for me!

During the production phase spend economic points step (6.5), everything is purchased at the same time. Air and arty counters are checked against their maintenance values after all EPs are spent and tables are adjusted (6.5.2).

AlbertaClipper wrote:

4. I’m with Chris here in this thread as pertains to his follow-up questions –- Strat Reorgs still aren’t totally clear to me. Can Strat Reorgs move SPs to a friendly unoccupied hex? (Assuming all the conditions of supply line and not vacating a hex, etc. are met?)

Yes. Blocks/SPs may move to any combination of friendly hexes (occupied or unoccupied), Friendly-contested or enemy-contested hexes.

AlbertaClipper wrote:

5. Also, we had the same questions he had about OOS/losing a supply line during an Action Phase and after Allocate Supply. It may be helpful to bullet point what restrictions that occur with an OOS marker, and with losing a supply line during an Action Phase.

(From the same thread.)

OK, I totally did not get that from the rules. 6.7.5 is the effects of being OOS; this is clearly the penalty for being marked, but it doesn't make a distinction between not currently having a supply line and having an OOS counter. 6.7.2, 2nd para, talks about gaining and losing a supply line, and the fact that when checking supply during an action phase, the current state is used rather than its state during the Production phase (2nd sentence). But it's just not clear the implications from that rule. 7.2 clarifies that units without a supply line have a problem moving, but the combat rules make no statement at all about supply ... can you really fight at full effectiveness, including full use of artillery, tanks, stosstruppen, etc., without a supply line?

Thanks!

Here is an answer I was working on to a similar question. Let me know if this helps.

Question: If blocks lose their supply line during the action phase, do they lose their supply? Are the marked Out of Supply (OOS)?

Answer: No. Blocks that lose a “supply line” during an action phase not marked OOS. The only time blocks are marked OOS is during the production phase (6.7.1 – 6.7.4). Blocks that receive an OOS marker in the production phase keep that maker regardless of supply line status until the next production phase or unless removed by a logistic point.

Blocks that do not have a supply line during Block Movement (7.2) suffer the OOS movement penalty only. See 7.2, 3rd paragraph and Note (brown box). The check for a supply line is made immediately before moving, not at the start of the phase. Thus a player could move blocks in a manner that establishes a line of supply for other blocks. The blocks whose line of supply was just reestablished could then move without penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful. Thank you! All my questions are now 100% clear except for arty. So . . .

Scenario II starts with Arty Maintenance #: 11 and the pool at 3, 2, 1, 1, 0 (7 total). So in a single turn I could, say, spend 4 EP to add a 4-point arty counter and still be able to shoot everything. Or I could spend 1 EP to add a 1-pointer and I’m well within safe because I’m not exceeding 6 counters OR my Arty Maintenance #. Or I could spend EPs to add a 1-point counter and bump one or some of the others any combination that doesn’t exceed 11.

I think I have that right.

So let’s say I choose the latter and simply buy the 1-pointer. My available arty pool is now 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 0 (8 total on 6 counters).

Ok, cool. Here’s where I get hazy.

- From that specific example, going forward when I buy arty, is it true that all I can do is increase the counter numbers in my available pool because I’m already at 6 counters? (Make a 1 into a 2, etc?)
- What happens when my available pool exceeds my Maintenance #? Do I ever have to get rid of a counter or counters? Or are the purchased arty simply not available until I get my Maintenance number back in order?

Take the same example. I have 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 0 (8 total on 6 counters). What happens if I let my Maintenance # slip to 7? Do I replace the 3 with a 2? Or do I get rid of a 1? Or is it either/or and I get to choose?

Or am I way overthinking this and in practice it doesn’t really matter? Once your purchased pool exceeds your Maintenance #, you’re going to have to repurchase arty in some manner if you bump your Maintenance # back up –- be it a new counter or existing counter increase?

Thanks again for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:

- From that specific example, going forward when I buy arty, is it true that all I can do is increase the counter numbers in my available pool because I’m already at 6 counters? (Make a 1 into a 2, etc?)
- What happens when my available pool exceeds my Maintenance #? Do I ever have to get rid of a counter or counters? Or are the purchased arty simply not available until I get my Maintenance number back in order?

Take the same example. I have 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 0 (8 total on 6 counters). What happens if I let my Maintenance # slip to 7? Do I replace the 3 with a 2? Or do I get rid of a 1? Or is it either/or and I get to choose?

Or am I way overthinking this and in practice it doesn’t really matter? Once your purchased pool exceeds your Maintenance #, you’re going to have to repurchase arty in some manner if you bump your Maintenance # back up –- be it a new counter or existing counter increase?

Thanks again for the help.

- Yes,increase the value of your counters already on your player board

- Simply not available until maintenance is back in order

- the counters included with the game should be enough to allow you to make change if needed. You would replace the three with a two as you stated and set a one next to the player board. In a subsequent production phase add it back to your player board if your maintenance value allows it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! I’m glad I asked; I still had it wrong in my head.

For my own edification, restated: Your arty pool is hardware, the maintenance track, shells. Once you buy hardware, it’s yours for good even though you may not have enough shells to fire everything in a given turn. In the event that happens, in game terms, you remove that hardware to square it up with your shell number. But in the event you get some more shells, you haven’t “lost” that hardware. You simply add it back in at that point.

Cool. Very much looking forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I did notice if you don't have a supply line - you CAN'T use Artillery (6.7.5 requires a supply line specifically for that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
Aha! I’m glad I asked; I still had it wrong in my head.

For my own edification, restated: Your arty pool is hardware, the maintenance track, shells. Once you buy hardware, it’s yours for good even though you may not have enough shells to fire everything in a given turn. In the event that happens, in game terms, you remove that hardware to square it up with your shell number. But in the event you get some more shells, you haven’t “lost” that hardware. You simply add it back in at that point.

Cool. Very much looking forward to playing again.

Yes, and is very similar to how I have explained it over the years. The artillery has been manufactured but you have a shortage of shells and crews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.