The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Challenge: Create a custom mini-campaign using only side missions from the core game, big box expansions or figure packs through Wave 9.

Submission Deadline: 4 May 2017, 11:59 PM CST (Star Wars Day)

Award Date: No later than 25 May 2017 (40th anniversary of the release date of the original film)

Prizes:
1st Place - 250
2nd Place - 125
3rd Place - 65

In addition a pool of 60 will be distributed as I see fit. I may or may not choose 4th or 5th place winners. Regardless, the remainder after any additional prizes will be distributed among entries I deem worthy of receiving Honorable Mention.

Introduction:
Imperial Assault has rapidly become my favorite game. I thoroughly enjoy the campaign game, but it is not always easy to get people to make the long term commitment to a big box campaign. This is where the small box mini-campaigns like Twin Shadows and Bespin Gambit really shine. A four mission campaign can be played through in a single day. And it also offers the opportunity to show case some of the many side missions available, which could otherwise take several big box campaigns to be experienced. Wouldn't it be cool if the big box and figure pack side missions could be similarly experienced?

Typical Mini-Campaign Structure:
Between the big box sets and figure packs through Wave 9, there are 57 side missions. The extant mini-campaigns use six side missions each, with only four of them being played. An Ally (green) side mission typically serves as the Introduction, with one of two Hero (red) side missions selected as Story 1 based on the outcome of the Introduction. Story 2 is Neutral (gray) side mission, the outcome of which indicates which of two side missions will be played for the Finale. In Twin Shadows, Finale candidate were Agenda side missions, while in The Bespin Gambit they were Neutral side missions. As with the big box campaigns, there is a campaign prologue. But each mission also has two Epilogues used only when the mission is played in a mini-campaign, with the choice of Epilogue read determined by the mission's outcome.

Typical Mini-Campaign Spoils:
In addition to any Reward cards, Allies or Villains awarded by the mission, players receive 2 XP each, with the Imperial player receiving one Influence and the Rebels receiving 300 Credits/Hero. Players on the winning side usually receive an additional bonus XP per player. If the mission was a Hero (red) mission, nut the named Hero is not playing, the Rebels receive another 150 Credits/Hero in lieu of the stated Reward card.

Submission Guidelines:

1. Only side missions from figure packs through Wave 9, the core game, or either big box expansions - Return to Hoth or Jabba's Realm - may be used. Hoth Threat missions are not Side Missions - they do not use the Side Mission card back - and are therefore ineligible for use. In addition - for reasons explained below - neither of the Hero side missions Temptation (Diala Passil) nor Loose Cannon (Mak Eshka'rey) from the core game may be used in these submissions. This still provides a pool of 55 missions from which to draw. Submissions using any prohibited missions will be disqualified.

2. Submissions should utilize six of the candidate side missions and follow the four mission structure outlined above under Typical Mini-Campaign Structure, but do not have to adhere to the types of missions outlined above, i.e. the Introduction does not have to be an Ally mission, Story 1 options do not have to be Hero missions, Story 2 does not have to be a Neutral mission, and the Finale does not have to be Neutral or Agenda missions. Select whatever missions provide for a balanced campaign and make narrative sense. Submissions which do not follow this structure will be disqualified.

3. Mission map, set-up and events may not be altered in any way, except for end of mission spoils and Hero mission setup as described below. Non-compliant submissions will be disqualified.

4. Submissions shall comply with Mini-Campaign Setup Rules as described on the Mini Campaign Log PDF with the Hero mission setup exception described below. Non-compliant submissions will be disqualified.

5. Each submission will begin with "Contest Entry:" followed by the campaign title and begin with a section labelled "You Will Need:" which enumerates which Imperial Assault products are required to play the game. Submissions which fail to either provide a title or elaborate products needed to play the mini-campaign will be disqualified.

6. Each submission will include a mini-campaign Prologue and two Epilogues for each of the six missions it uses. In addition to narrative flavor (white box) text, Epilogues should describe all spoils awarded to each side, including Reward, Ally or Villain cards already described in the mission, as these Epilogues will be read instead of the end of mission text included with the mission. Spoils should otherwise conform to the Typical Mini-Campaign Spoils stated above. Spoils may include additional or alternate Reward, Ally or Villain cards if these make narrative sense and are required for play balance. Each Epilogue should conclude with "Play ____ next.", where ____ is the title of the next mission to be played. Failure to provide a mini-campaign Prologue, either Epilogue for each mission or of Epilogues to provide the required elements - flavor text, spoils and next mission - will result in disqualification.

7. Hero (red) Side Missions will conform to the following additional setup rule "If the Hero named in the Side Mission is not being played, put that Hero's figure and Skirmish Deployment card into play as an Ally under control of the Rebels for the duration of this mission only. The Imperial player receives Threat equal to the figures Deployment Cost and may make an optional deployment." The reason for this is that the big box Hero missions are not written to double as mini-campaign Story missions. This rule must be stated in any Epilogue which specifies a Hero mission as the next mission. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.

8. Submissions are not bound by any information printed on the cards corresponding to the side missions used. The Prologue and Epilogues replace the flavor text and describe spoils. The planet on which the mini-campaign sets the mission - if specified in Prologue or Epilogue flavor text - does not need to be the one described on the card.

9. Submitted mini-campaigns need not have time periods.

10. Each submission will be provided by adding an reply to this thread. Submissions made through any other means will not be accepted.

Scoring Criteria:

Each submission will be scored from 0-5 in the following four categories according to the criteria elaborated for that category. This yields a total score of from 0 to 20 for each submission. Scores will be assessed by the contest sponsor (me) and used to determine awards. Ties will be broken first by the amount of each tied entry receives, then by the number of thumbsup and finally by a die roll. All decisions final.

I will attempt to qualify and score entries posted in advance of the submission deadline as quickly as possible. Entrants are permitted to correct their entries up to the submission deadline to have them requalified and or rescored.

Scope:
This category assess how many Imperial Assault products are required to play the submitted mini-campaign. It has a base score of five with a minimum of zero. One point will be deducted for each big box expansion required to play the submitted mini-campaign and a half point will be deducted for each figure pack required. Only a submission which utilizes just core game side missions can score the maximum in this category.

Cohesion:
This category assesses how well the submitted mini-campaign "holds together". It has a base score of five with a minimum of zero. Each Epilogue (eight) which do not seem to provide a logical transition from the mission played and its outcome to the next mission - or campaign outcome, in the case of Finale missions - will lose half a point. Mission sequences which seem to violate canon chronology - e.g. a mission where Luke Skywalker, Hero of the Rebellion appears after Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight or a Wave 7 figure pack mission used as other than the mini-campaign Introduction - may lose a half point. Epilogues which recast a mission to a planet of the wrong terrain type - e.g. a mission with ice or forest terrain on Tatooine, desert or ice terrain on Nal Hutta, etc. may lose a half point.

Narrative:
This category rewards submissions based on how well written they are. It has a base score of zero with a maximum of five. Up to one point each will be awarded to campaigns in which multiple missions share a recurring planetary setting, Ally or Villain. e.g. a campaign which featured Chewbacca in the some of its missions would earn a half point (recurring Ally, but not in the majority of missions). A campaign which centered on Luke vs. Vader on Tatooine would earn three (Ally, Villain and setting) if each of the three elements appeared in most missions. Up to one and one half point will be awarded based on the variety of missions included. e.g. a campaign which consists entirely of rescue missions would receive no points. One which consists of a variety of sabotage, espionage and rescue missions might receive a point and a half. Finally, a half point may be awarded for titles which fit the campaign well or are particularly clever.

Balance:
This category assess the play balance in the submitted mini-campaign. It has a base score of five with a minimum of zero. Up to one point each will be deducted for each case where each subsequent mission appears to tilt play balance in favor of the winner of the previous mission. There are five such transitions: Rebel win of Introduction to Story 1, Imperial win of Introduction to Story 1, Story 1 to Story 2 (regardless of winning side), Rebel win of Story 2 to Finale, Imperial win of Story 2 to Finale. Typically, missions favor the loser of the preceding mission, so this is a desirable property to preserve in the submitted mini-campaign.

I may opt to post sample mini-campaigns to this thread, in which case they will lead off with "Sample Campaign:" followed by the campaign title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will definitely be entering in this. Thanks for the opportunity to release my creativity!

Will be difficult though, i'm missing the latest 2 expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexeor wrote:
Will definitely be entering in this. Thanks for the opportunity to release my creativity!

Will be difficult though, I'm missing the latest 2 expansions...
Now you have an incentive to buy them. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: Can we edit the event flavor text? I'm using a mission, but rewriting the context in a major way, and the event text is messing with that. I won't be changing any rules, just the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexeor wrote:
Question: Can we edit the event flavor text? I'm using a mission, but rewriting the context in a major way, and the event text is messing with that. I won't be changing any rules, just the story.

No, I'd really prefer you didn't, as it will be distracting for the IP to have to flip back and forth between the mission sheet and the mini-campaign during a mission. That's why I wrote rule #3 the way I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can photoshop the text out and replace it with my new story. I was already starting to photoshop it anyway. I don't want to step on any toes, but I really can't see it making any sense whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it's like you had the same idea I had here back in July of 2016.

Since I was seemingly the first one to make this into a thing, I'm happy to make my Edge of Oblivion campaign the first completed submission in your contest. I'd love to subject it to your rating system and see how it holds up. I expect it may not meet some of your guidelines, I would appreciate being grandfathered in as the first one to create a mini campaign like this.

None of the story text in the mission rules or on the mission cards needs to be edited, it all fits seamlessly with my Epilogues.

I've cleaned up v2.1 into v2.2 for submission here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4izPKI4wrZZeC1ZbDd3M3o5Vn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexeor wrote:
I can photoshop the text out and replace it with my new story. I was already starting to photoshop it anyway. I don't want to step on any toes, but I really can't see it making any sense whatsoever.

I had some inspiration and can rewrite the text to match to comply with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointed that I only gotten one entry. But Noa's entry is top notch and very deserving of the grand prize. Apologies for not posting my own samples, but I suffered a personal tragedy a couple of months back With which I am still trying to cope.

May the Force be with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool Noa, Congradulations! Thank you bill for posting. I'm so sorry to hear of your personal tragedy. Best wishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Bill, I am considering making another one for the recently released Wave 9 if I ever get the time. I hope for the best for you and yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.