Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know, I am working through the rules and will be doing the tutorial thing in VASSAL. I have PBEM experience and can do some minor module building in VASSAL, enough I think to do the basics needed for a game.

Also, I think we could use the new AVID tool published which would help quite a bit especially while learning.

Never played it and I am working through the rules now so it may not be the best game for PBEM but I am willing to try it at least once and deal with any PBEM issues that may affect play balance (not really worried about balance actually at this point).

Breaking out the Hershey kisses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Burnside
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Jesse Escobedo did a VASSAL mod for AVT about six years ago. I think there's a topic for it on the BGG forums here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play with you by vassal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me get up to speed on the rules then at least enough for the tutorial and then I will check out the module. I may look into what a new module may look like now the AVID tool is live and with the updates vassal has made. For example, you can attach a spreadsheet of sorts to each game piece which may come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the tutorial and waiting for the printed 2.0 rules I ordered from Ken.
When I've read the rules and played some solo games I could also play a round or two via vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, just taking me longer than I thought.

If you were setting up a PBEM game using the AVID to assist.

How many future positions would you use for each ship?
I was thinking 1 or 2 but now I think actually trying it with 0 first just to keep it simple. I have not read all the rules yet but I am guessing there must be a reason for having the option of 1 or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's so you can see what the bearings will be after this segment, so you know if someone is moving out of arc, or if you're going to need to maneuver, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks. That would certainly help.

So I have figured out the new AVID enough to run it for a simple PBEM game. Someone (me if needed) would use it in master mode and everyone could pull from it. The vassal part would put everyone on the map, show the ship status, and plot moves. There is some setup time for the ships but I know there is a way to build scenarios ahead of time and save them so not an issue.

I will keep reading and testing and planning be ready this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to email turns back and forth when playing VASSAL but now I use dropbox. Do most people have access to dropbox? Is it hard to sign up or maybe something else is more popular now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.