Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
Canada
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I was wondering something about Above and Below true successor. I played and loved Above and Below, and still play, but wanted more.

Only recently, I decided to act on this and I was faced with two choices, the game he did right after Above and Below, called Islebound and the coming Near and Far called the true successor to Above and Below.

Only, after watching hours of online game plays of both games and playing Islebound this week, I find Islebound the true spiritual successor of Above and Below even if the designer himself says that Near and Far is.

I get that Near and Far has the "story book" of Above and Below but that's all I see in common. This game has Area Control as a mechanic and is based on explorations and faction control, and creating artifacts.

While Islebound has it's characters same as A&B, roll die mechanics (Attack in this one, and Explore in A&B) handled the same way, buildings, goods, exerted and tired characters, the beds (rest) needed to rest/heal them etc... Islebound mechanics are almost a COPY/PASTE of Above and Below.

What do I miss here, why is the "official" sequel feels like a game of it's own, very different in mechanics and game play (and LOOKS AWESOME! in it's own rights), while the other "unrelated" game I see as a the true spiritual successor.

I am alone in this?

Poll
Which game between these two feels more like Above and Below overall, call it a true spiritual successor or sequel etc...
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Islebound
17.1% 6
Near and Far
82.9% 29
Voters 35
This poll is now closed.   35 answers
Poll created by EnigmaProphet
Closes: Wed May 31, 2017 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hartnett
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to feel anything when one of the games isn't out yet so I haven't had a chance to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. To make any sort of proclamations about a game that hasn't been released isn't useful in any way. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I hope you find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carson
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have backed Near and Far. We shall see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Price
Canada
Quispamsis
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll go with designers point of view here. I've played Islebound... definitely didn't seem like Above and Below. Did you think successor just because of similar mechanics for some parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would say outside of the story book missing, about all the mechanics line up between Islebound and A&B (more then N&F anyway). Where I watched the gameplay for Near and Far, it's more akin Tales of the Arabian Nights with area control, outside the story book, no mechanics or gameplay line up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.