United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
Find me on the Pirates CSG VASSAL module
badge
It's a Pirates' Life for me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was joined on VASSAL by agiantpie! The setup was for 80 points.

I went with a French fleet that had also hired El Fantasma aboard the Hades' Realm, while agiantpie went with an all-SM English fleet. Plenty of fog was around.

In addition, we decided to experiment using basic return fire rules! Once a ship was done shooting at another ship, the second ship could return fire with any cannons it had left, though they would get -1 to their rolls.

With an SAT, the Hades' Realm (HR) made it into a fog bank near the English home island.

The Soleil Royal, Royal Louis, and King Edward all reached wild islands. The HR got an SAT coming out of the fog, and hit the Dover and King Edward with consecutive attacks! The Dover only lost one mast, but the King Edward was nearly dismasted, and Fantasma stole a 5 coin.

With yet another SAT, the HR eventually sank the Dover! This was too much for the English, and the Titan finally caught the Cursed menace and dismasted her. In the meantime, the Montreal had taken up station in the fog bank where the HR was hiding earlier.

The Titan captured the HR and towed her into a fog bank to avoid the Montreal and get the stolen 5 back in English possession. The King Edward docked home gold and started repairing, while the Lord Algernon would explore the middle island. The Royal Louis and Soleil Royal sought the untouched southern island.

The Royal Louis has loaded gold, while the Soleil Royal prepares to defend her, waiting in the fog. The remaining English ships head southwest, while the captured HR repairs.

The Royal Louis parleyed her way out of some sticky situations, but that started to decrease the French gold advantage. The Soleil Royal lost a battle to the Titan after going 2/5 (including losing her grape shot on a 1) and taking major return fire damage (the Titan went 3/3). The Montreal did what she could to help, but it wouldn't be enough. The Royal Louis ended up pinned, which further ruined French hopes. In the end, although the French parley gamble worked for a while (the lowest value coins from the HI were given up), the gold differential kept tilting towards the English, while the French fleet was soundly defeated in the south. The Royal Louis' masts finally fell when she couldn't afford to give away more gold, and the game was over!

The English were up 21-15 at that point, when we decided to call it. The Montreal would have rowed home to repair, allowing the English to get the rest of their gold home and make the final score 33-15.

It was definitely a good game, if not frustrating for both of us lol. The return fire aspect was interesting, though I'm not sure the -1 to cannon rolls is enough moving forward... more playtesting is needed, and hopefully other forms of this oft-discussed but rarely-played house rule will see the light of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe as a keyword on custom units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
maybe as a keyword on custom units?

That's a good idea, playtesting would be essential. Though, I generally think of return fire as more of a house rule covering gameplay in general than giving it to specific ships as an ability. Let us know if you experiment with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Klaren
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
When it comes to return fire,as long as ships are nearing perpendicular side by side, not port/starboard to bow/stern, we play it as the attacks happen simultaneously. Its made the game far more strategic, as there is now much more of a negative that can happen by haphazardly blasting a ship you can't compete with.

It hasn't felt too OP at this point. But we've only tested 3 or 4 games like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pwnocchio wrote:
When it comes to return fire,as long as ships are nearing perpendicular side by side, not port/starboard to bow/stern, we play it as the attacks happen simultaneously. Its made the game far more strategic, as there is now much more of a negative that can happen by haphazardly blasting a ship you can't compete with.

I love having the ships parallel so it's more historically realistic. I'd like to try that as well - firing arcs that are nearly fixed since cannons couldn't be aimed so far forward or astern of the ship.

Quote:
It hasn't felt too OP at this point. But we've only tested 3 or 4 games like this.

A lot better than 1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Klaren
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
thats more like how we play. cannons can angle about 45 degrees each way, but not almost 90 like the rules "call for". When we play this way, each cannon has a much narrower cone of fire and feels far more realistic. its set up so that if two ships make sort of a T shape the - ship can hit the | ship with all of its cannons. (most often 4 being the most. Ill have to see how the 10 master feels.

And yeah 3-4 is better than 1, but its not the like 40 i'd like it to be. Lol. I don't consider something fully playtested until its faced just about everything the game has to throw at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pwnocchio wrote:
thats more like how we play. cannons can angle about 45 degrees each way, but not almost 90 like the rules "call for". When we play this way, each cannon has a much narrower cone of fire and feels far more realistic. its set up so that if two ships make sort of a T shape the - ship can hit the | ship with all of its cannons. (most often 4 being the most. Ill have to see how the 10 master feels.

And yeah 3-4 is better than 1, but its not the like 40 i'd like it to be. Lol. I don't consider something fully playtested until its faced just about everything the game has to throw at it.

I'd like to play with more realistic angles, but most of my recent games have been in VASSAL Tournament #2, a competitive tournament to determine the best fleet of all-time using basically no house rules of any kind (to make it more official). Definitely something to experiment with.

You're right about the playtesting - it's clear that a handful of game pieces in this game didn't get tested enough (or likely not at all for something like Captain Jack Sparrow lol). Funny you mention 40 - my two most-played fleets (involving El Acorazado and HMS Grand Temple) are both at 41 total games, and weirdly they're both 29-12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mm... now I feel the need to share the FIRST naval strategy game that I played!

Don't remember the name though..... anyways, in that game one player has to defend several cargo ships anchored in a harbor, the other is tasked with destroying them. Yay for asymmetrical warfare!

The defense gets ships, and two harbor straights with mines and pillbox guns. But one of the most interesting mechanics is that in ship to ship combat both ships take damage if they broadside, whereas only the defender takes damage if you "cross the T", IE fire down the bow or up the stern. Why? because wooden sailing ships didn't have turrets. Cannon had a fixed point of aim.

The game was a lot of fun, but I haven't seen a copy in almost 20 years. :/

EDIT: apparently it was called Broadside: Broadside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a7xfanben
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
The defense gets ships, and two harbor straights with mines and pillbox guns. But one of the most interesting mechanics is that in ship to ship combat both ships take damage if they broadside, whereas only the defender takes damage if you "cross the T", IE fire down the bow or up the stern. Why? because wooden sailing ships didn't have turrets. Cannon had a fixed point of aim.

Exactly - this was called "raking" and was one of the reasons that "breaking the line" became such a viable tactic, especially in the late 18th century.

I do like the thought of trying to combine that concept with return fire and limited cannon angles, which would seem to work well together.

Looks like a fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I wanna mix the two games together.... Broadside was fun, but the only thing that made units different from each other was sail counts(HP). Also... I wanna make a scenario for having the Norse pillage England.`

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.