Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Axis empire in Jan '44 stretched from Stalingrad and Grozny til France, from Narvik til Casablanca and Alexandria.

The mighty armies of Axis accounted full force pool deployed, aside the newly joined armed forces, which has been fully built by the 3rd turn of '44 (all militias, and the 3 new elites). Just some blocks at reduced strenght as buffer in contested area in Russia.
A grand total of 11 Axis fleets were ready in the docks (9 in the Atlantic area - with 8 GSU in France and over 3-1 Interceptor superiority this is a decent odd to fight the Allied fleets), the Mediterranean an Italian lake. A fully built atlantic wall, the Don river line fully fortified - with Italian access in France granted by a previous failed attempt to land in '41 by UK forces.
Still over 40 submarines kicking against a lvl 6 (and soon brought to 7 in '44) ASW level, Luftwaffe with over 20 interceptors squadrons against less than 10 of Allies, and few bombers to harrass the UK.

The enemy spent whole '43 building up and sitting exploting the Axis couldn't do anything at all.
The Soviets camping a fortified Moscow with their oversized force pool, defending Gorky, Leningrad and the swamps in the north (Baku lost).
A 99% built W.Allied force pool with 23 fleets in the Atlantic ready to strike.

As Axis I was pretty confident to survive the '44 onslaught and at least achieve a draw if not a marginal victory.
As soon as the winter ended the Allies tried to land in Denmark only to get repelled. The Soviets started their advance with the Wermacht giving ground and forfeitting during winter Grozny and in spring Stalingrad.

Next turn Allies declare war on Spain, trying to land nearby Axis Gibraltar. The Axis elite armor in Gibraltar react sallying forth and the Allies gets again pushed into the sea.
The Soviets march north as the Wermacht pulled out mostly southward at the Dnepr in a new fortified position. Few armies of the Soviets take the eastern side of the Dnepr and other units march for Baku to meet an heroic resistance as soon as they enter the mountain area til the end of their offensive there.

Last summer turn, again Denmark. Allies managed to land and survive the counterattack, then a truckload of USA units jumps in with a SA (like 20 USA blocks).
The Soviets march for Poland but quickly have a front reversal and rush for Romania taking it off and then Bulgaria too cutting supply to whole German army via land (we used Casablanca as port to so they got supplies from the Axis atlantic fleets).

Winter '44, the Germans storm back the Soviet rearline as new troops pins down the Soviet cavarlies which spearheaded into the Minors. The German panzers and infantries tear apart their way in the snow wiping first 21 infantry pips behind a river and push forward and with a sudden offensive wipes 32 other infantry pips of which all the soviet elites cutting off supply the Soviet army.
A grand total of 18 blocks (some militias to, but as well 11 step of elite tanks and 8 elite infantries, the paras and other normal infantry corps) bunch up to block the W.Allies advance.

During Allied turn the disaster come. Due a miscalculation of the Soviet capability, they manage to restore supply to their units meanwhile the USA and UK units reinforce Denmark again, slaughter the few remmanants of the German garrison, then smash in Germany and destroy in 3 rounds of combat all the 18 blocks.
The Soviets in their maneuver wipe the supply as well to the Germany army in Russia now.

The next turn it's game over.

I just learned that no matter of bombers, units or anything. If Allies takes land in Europe with all force pool, Germany is just doomed in few turns.
My plan was to deal quickly with the Soviets which soon would have had problems replacing losses with still some spots including Baku and a conquered Leningrad (about 7-8 werps less for their production) and then move most of the tanks on the W.Allied front.
Obviously was proved wrong, the Allies tried to land every turn easily replacing losses and SA until they got unlucky Axis dice rolls, and survive, and then ship in the wrath of god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow you built Axis fleets. I have never seen that. Did you fight with them?
Did you have your U Boats built up as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
In late '43 and early '44 I had nothing to spend WERPs on mostly.
With a Germany having 54 werps in '43 and Italy fully built I went for ships. The plan was to engage the W.Allied fleet in the hope to sink some.
Pre late '43 to I had a total of 7 fleets. And no, they failed interception roll so they didn't fought.

Yes as I stated I had subs as well. I start since 2nd turn to produce 8 subs per turn, Italy will need all the help Germany can give to stay alive in Afrika until enough germans get there.
Since even if you give 5 werps to italy per turn they anyway can't send more than X units in Afrika due to supply, best way is to make sure UK has the less WERPs per turn as you can achieve at the earliest.
I still had over 40 subs in early '44, and over 30 when game ended with my defeat with allied ASW at lvl 7.
That's the result of extreme builtup due to W.Allies sitting and complete their force pool. Wish I had more German blocks, at least they're forced to fight and not just sit down for a whole year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratching my head on this one. How big was the Soviet force in Moscow and Northern Russia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
By end of '42 whole force pool deployed, but a good part was prolly 1 pip units to not pay double the cadre production in '43. They had 2 GSU as well, and heavy fort in Moscow.

They spent the whole '43 filling up holes, and attacking with small groups of blocks (2-4) the front areas which usually are only garrisoned at this stage by 1 axis minor or 1 german reduced block (with the large part of german army behind ready to jump on anything big enough which leaves the fort of Moscow).
Actually in Summer '43 I inflicted some losses, as the Soviets stroke at Stalingrad, Vorenzh and Tula with 3-5 blocks per province. I ended up to add up the other roadbumps around as infantry, and get tanks in, then Breakthrough move the tanks back in Kursk rejoining the bulk of infantries in my small fort, and refilling first the gaps with strat moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me the key mistake of the game was going for Baku when you should have been pounding that large mass of Soviet blocks when they came out weak. If you ever let the entire Soviet army build up to strength you might as well waive the white flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can't "pound" a no stack limit Heavy Fort in Moscow in '42 with elite infantries and tanks and truckload of normal infantries into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that once the field fort is built (not heavy fort), you have to hit Moscow. If you are playing 1939 and the Heavy Fort goes up before the war starts, you still have to hit it in 1941 if you can. If that thing survives, the entire Soviet army will be built up by late 1943.

I know that losses will be terrible but typically the Germany economy is such that you can recover faster than the Russians. In 1941 you don't have to worry about an invasion in the west.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know that about the fort, but I in that game I had the gimpest ever Barbarossa, with about 20 infantry blocks missing to force pool and no elite dones, and only 3 GSU (and yes first game I got a UK landing in France in Summer '41 - which actually let me send the Italians there. I had already Alexandria and Persia to by that time).

Moscow was not an option in this game, but I experienced in other games as well it's not a real good option.
The Soviets will keep the swamps in the north of Moscow enforcing you to keep a sizeable garrison on Moscow, meanwhile you need a maneuvering front on the Soviet side.
They'd prolly end up to fortify Stalingrad, and buildup there using the mounts in the south as mutual supply as well.

Baku was easier to reach, way less garrisoned (still I took it in '42 due to my weak army which risked to be encircled in '41), and easier as well to be kept with the supplies via the Med.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Russo
Italy
Pomigliano D'Arco - Napoli
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was Alberto's opponent.

I used the "heavy BEF" strategy. It weakened a lot Germany (it started Barbarossa with lots of units missing), but I gave up the Mediterran eventually.
So I found myself with a heavily fortified russian (almost the whole pool in Moscow) and a very weak UK.
What to do ??

I tried the "overload" (heavy "overlord") option.
- Build a ship per turn (1 UK, then 1 USA, then 1 UK, and so on)
- build every pip of USA force pool
- forget about bombers, fighters, etc, due to the enormous amount of german fighers.
- build the URSS force to the maximum, awaiting for the dreaded 3rd Special action for URSS and USA.

As soon as I had all set (23 allied fleets) I realized that it's VERY difficult to land in Europe.
I tried Denmark (only 3 block defending) .... failed.
Then in Spain ..... failed.
Then, on the last good weather turn, I tried Denmark again (this time defended by 5 blocks) and luckily succeded in surviving a counterattack.
1 special action later the whole USA army was on the beach and URSS's one was bound to Berlin (ehm, maybe Warsaw).

I learnt that:

- UK has to survive in Africa (Baku is at risk)
- Atlantic wall, if well defended, is really really tough to crack.
- Never ever land in France in 42. It only let the Italian defend France later.
- Urss can be daring, but only in small amount of blocks and in winter.

Next week Alberto will seek for revenge.
I hope this time I'll avoid to lose all my med fleets in one roll of dice.

Good luck to everybody
Enrico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the BEF strategy?

Marshall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Russo
Italy
Pomigliano D'Arco - Napoli
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BEF= British Expedition Force (or something like that).
Means to put 4-5 full units (+ GSU) in Pas de Calais and support France as much as possible (it means that British pull out of France using a SA as soon as they remain the only fighting force).
It makes lots of damage to the German player, but you almost give up Africa (it's hard to keep it with only 2-3 units, against 12 infantry and 7 armor pips).

Choices, choices.
:-(

Good luck
Enrico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.