21 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: *SPOILERS* Smashed in the face in Adventure 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just finished playing Adventure 4 multiple times - twice with my children, and once by myself. We were destroyed every time. We played with two party members - the cragheart and spellweaver.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
When I played with my son and daughter, we had to flee after the first room. The elite skeleton and normal skeleton kept drawing the card that lets them attack a single character multiple times, so our cragheart got hit five times in a row, and then twice by the archers. This happened twice with my children. Playing by myself, I managed to more easily take out the first room. The second room and room with the wind demons also went ok but, by the time I made it to the earth demon, my mage was exhausted, and I couldn't deal 18 damage to the earth demon before the cragheart went down. It's tough playing solo - yes, there is synergy between the characters, but I'm playing the same level as my heroes (in otherwords, the lowest recommended level), and still getting smashed in the face in this adventure. Maybe the sorceress and cragheart just aren't appropriate for this adventure? There are just too many rooms, too many bad guys, and too may chances for things to go wrong (summonings, multiple attacks, etc.).
Any suggestions?

Edit: my misinterpretation of monster difficulty was clarified by Isaac below. Thanks all - sorry for the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Lower the difficulty to zero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
yynderjohn wrote:

That's more a form of giving up than a strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Might I ask, what level are your Cragheart and Spellweaver? And what level did you set the enemies to here? I suspect that maybe you've miscalculated something, but I cannot be certain... I mean, the lowest recommended level, assuming you're speaking of the easier difficulty, should not result in the enemies being the same level as your characters. To be thorough, maybe check out page 15 of the rulebook: "The recommended scenario level is equal to the average level of the characters in the party, divided by 2 and rounded up; this would be considered “Normal” difficulty. If players desire an “Easy” experience, they can reduce the recommended scenario level by 1."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
yynderjohn wrote:

No it isn't. The designer himself says the difficulty is adjustable because the game isn't supposed to have barriers. "Just challenging enough". This isn't darksouls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
yynderjohn wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. Play the game, enjoy the game. If the current difficulty level is too high, drop it down, it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't read the spoilers and still waiting for my game. But I'm wondering is it usual that the difficulty of the scenarios vary so much? I would imagine if I get to scenario 4 with no problems on normal difficulty that I should be able to manage scenario 4 as well with the same difficulty.
I don't want to estimate the difficulty of a scenario before playing and then adjust the difficulty every game. Sure if I somehow seem to be stuck at a point I might reduce the difficulty, but before that I would definitely try different strategies.

For me reducing the difficulty would also feel like giving up, because I would expect that all scenarios are roughly at the same difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
Didn't read the spoilers and still waiting for my game. But I'm wondering is it usual that the difficulty of the scenarios vary so much? I would imagine if I get to scenario 4 with no problems on normal difficulty that I should be able to manage scenario 4 as well with the same difficulty.
I don't want to estimate the difficulty of a scenario before playing and then adjust the difficulty every game. Sure if I somehow seem to be stuck at a point I might reduce the difficulty, but before that I would definitely try different strategies.

For me reducing the difficulty would also feel like giving up, because I would expect that all scenarios are roughly at the same difficulty.
Game has a way of determining difficulty based on the average party level that counts as "normal", then it gets +2 with 5 players and such-like. No need to estimate, it should be pretty balanced already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what the scenario goal is (as I have not recieved my copy yet), but there were plenty of scenarios while playtesting where it would have been detrimental to try to kill all enemies. Sometimes it's a more clever strategy to just hit the road and give it a good dash towards your scenario goal - could this probably help here?
Especially as I recall the Earth Demon to be rather slow - he can be rather easily outrun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
Game has a way of determining difficulty based on the average party level that counts as "normal", then it gets +2 with 5 players and such-like. No need to estimate, it should be pretty balanced already.

I know that, and that's what I would expect. If I choose a difficulty level (e.g. normal), which works fine for a few scenarios, I would expect this difficulty level to be fine for later scenarios as well.
But the answers in this thread seemed like the difficulty of the scenarios varies, depending on the monsters in it or the rooms or goals to succeed or ... Nobody suggested a different strategy, everyone just instantly said decrease the level, which feels strange to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
Jasiven wrote:

I know that, and that's what I would expect. If I choose a difficulty level (e.g. normal), which works fine for a few scenarios, I would expect this difficulty level to be fine for later scenarios as well.
But the answers in this thread seemed like the difficulty of the scenarios varies, depending on the monsters in it or the rooms or goals to succeed or ... Nobody suggested a different strategy, everyone just instantly said decrease the level, which feels strange to me.
Most of us haven't played the game yet, we just know what we hear and in that case "decrease the difficulty" is the best we can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
Most of us haven't played the game yet, we just know what we hear and in that case "decrease the difficulty" is the best we can offer.

Fair point, can't wait to get my copy and see how we fare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments. My heroes are level 2. For solo play, the recommended difficulty for normal is to set the monsters one level above your party. I found this overly difficult, so am playing on 'easy' mode. Thought I was getting the hang of things and was thinking about switching to normal, but this adventure convinced me otherwise. I can definitely drop the difficulty, but then I'm falling out of the recommended metrics (even for easy).

One other comment in response to running from the earth demon - I can't not kill all the monsters - that's the scenario objective! And the summoned living bones just kill me - I'm burning cards like crazy and still can't keep up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe try scenario 8 or 9 before revisitig scenario 4 again.

maybe you just missing a good damage sponge in your hero lineup. The spellweaver is more a glasscannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Earth Demon should only have 13 health at level 1 (which is Normal for a party of level 2s), so I have a feeling you were playing up a difficulty level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing this tonight, if any interesting strategy tidbits occur to me, or the guy I'm playing with, I'll come back and share (in spoiler text of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to quote from the rulebook - solo play is different from two players:

Because a solo player has precise information about what each character is doing and can coordinate more effectively, the game becomes easier. To compensate for this, solo players should increase the monster level and trap damage by 1 for any given scenario without increasing gold conversion and bonus experience

For a level 2 party on easy mode (solo play), the earth demon is a level 2.

To the second point - the cragheart has acted as my meat sponge, but it wasn't so much damage (until near the end) - it was the number of actions my group could take. I just ran out by the time I made it to the last room. And this play through, while not best case, had been a heck of a lot better than our previous attempts (less harsh monster deck draws, less initial damage).

Thinking about proclaiming a new level of difficulty - extra easy, where monsters are 1 level below your level even for solo play. I like the challenge, but this particular adventure is tough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dony
msg tools
ReinhartTR wrote:
I'm playing this tonight, if any interesting strategy tidbits occur to me, or the guy I'm playing with, I'll come back and share (in spoiler text of course).

I played this scenario yesterday solo controlling 3 characters, so a little different from your experience. My approach was to have my Mind Thief open the north room while my Brute and Tinkerer dealt with the south enemies, thus minimizing card and time waste (the Mind Thief kited them back to the group). It worked out but think the opposite approach (attack northern enemies after opening south room) would have worked better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I am assuming both of your characters are level 2? If so, the normal difficulty for normal play would still be level 1. The scenario level is your average party level divided by 2 and rounded up. It is not just your average party level. Yes, playing solo will bump this up by 1, making it 2, but that would mean that easy would bump the level back down to 1. If you are claiming that easy solo for a level 2 party is also 2, then it looks like you may not be following the rules quite right, which would result in the game being overly hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, clarity! Definitely a misinterpretation on my part. Thank you so much!

Cephalofair wrote:
Okay, so I am assuming both of your characters are level 2? If so, the normal difficulty for normal play would still be level 1. The scenario level is your average party level divided by 2 and rounded up. It is not just your average party level. Yes, playing solo will bump this up by 1, making it 2, but that would mean that easy would bump the level back down to 1. If you are claiming that easy solo for a level 2 party is also 2, then it looks like you may not be following the rules quite right, which would result in the game being overly hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Kitarja wrote:

Later enemies are far more dangerous than your basic bandits, even at the same level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.