Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Song
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are some of your reasons that made you back it or stay away from it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stayed away. I have enough 4x games so this doesn't really fill a hole for me and it doesn't seem like it's any better than what I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price was the first reason for not backing.
I'd never get it to the table is the next. Even with the price drop for standees over minis, I can't justify the cost.

I've liked what the company has done overall, but this just isn't a game for me. No issues with it and don't want it to fail - it's just not my style and isn't something that my gaming friends would really appreciate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
I stayed away. I have enough 4x games so this doesn't really fill a hole for me and it doesn't seem like it's any better than what I have.

What do you have and what's your favorite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have twilight imperium and runewars. Both are great games but long. One day, I'll play them again. I had Star Trek Ascendancy, but never actually got anyone to play it so I sold it. I picked up Eclipse in a big sale this past Christmas but realizing I'm not ever getting that to the table, I sold that off too. So I'm not really looking for another 4x game.

(I have Kemet, Cyclades, and Scythe too if those count as 4X)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think the base pledge is overly expensive as a base pledge for what you get.

I have not backed for more than a $1 because of the lack of reason or value within the kickstarter. I personally need added value in order to give my money to an unreleased product with no reviews a year or so before I receive a product. This doesn't mean exclusives necessarily, but since the pledge is for close to MSRP, there needs to be added content that is not there in the base retail box.

I also think the project has too many pledge levels. Since painted mini and standees aren't going to be supported, it would have been better to just have a one base pledge level and then have each faction as an add on. It would simplify it and add a level of tightness to the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of the Tiny Epic games, so I'm interested in other Gamelyn Games games.
I watched the JonGetsGames playthrough; it seems to be the sort of game that I think my regular game group would like, so I backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
One player in my gaming group backs it because we like that it is Warcraft in board game form. However, there are three reasons that we are a bit worried about:
- The rules look nice, but still very much unfinished. A better draft would be nice to have before the end of the KS.
- The mix of cardboard figures and plastic figures is a bit ugly and the size of the cardboard figures only clutters up the game board. We still hope that they will add an option to replace the cardboard figures with plastic.
- The stretch goals are a bit uninteresting, some are downright unnecessary (the ones for a better game BOX). This is more a case of backing a game so it gets made instead of backing it for KS exclusives.

v b: If you are looking for a shorter 4X-like game, try Exodus Proxima Centauri (Revised Edition, the original one looks hideous).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They just released ugdated stretch goals. That's exactly what I was looking for. And I love the new potential mercenary heroes. Really hoping we can hit 500k now. I upgraded my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed it as I am a sucker for 4x in general and the traditional fantasy setting. I love big games like Eclipse, Civilization, Runewars and War of the Ring. I can't find a game that actually hits on all the spots HLAS does. It's not all roses, though, as there are a couple of things I would have liked them to do differently with the game. So I'm in for the time being with standees. I might drop out, and I might up to miniatures. We'll see as the campaign progresses and more details from the game emerge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N K
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play all those old PC strategy games like Warcraft, Age of Empires and Heroes of Might and Magic and I’ve never seen a game that captures that style so well. That was instant love for me. Problem is I simply don’t know if it will get much play. The people I used to play big battle-top games like Warhammer with (as well as all those PC strategy games) have moved away and now I just tend to play more casual or shorter euro games with people. Now if there was a solo automata like Scythe I wouldn’t even hesitate to back it so I could get more plays out of it. Also, I’m simply not as competitive as I once was so long war games have lost interest over the years for me as they tend to be brutally competitive. I haven’t read the rules yet but watching the live play video that random teleport token seems to be a bit much as well and I don’t even know if I would use it as it unbalances the game too much. Also, like any kickstarter I’ll have to wait loooooong for it which I’m always cautious about, especially since the MSRP isn't much higher. Still I’m really excited about the game and thinking of backing it at least at the standee level (especially since the art is so great). For me the game just works, from the colourful fantasy style of the characters and vehicles to the exploration and tier-like empire building to the faction uniqueness. It’s just getting it on the table I have the most qualms about (and measuring both my tables that I game on it’ll barely fit). But I really want this game to be successful...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troglodyte44 wrote:
Now if there was a solo automata like Scythe I wouldn’t even hesitate to back it so I could get more plays out of it.

In the latest update they do mention "a play variant that includes A.I."
I don't know if that's just the nomads or a proper solo variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order:L

I only have one 4x4 so...

The fantasy theme is great. Two extra sets are cool options.

I like how the minis look unpainted - the colors. The ships and towers look great.

People are saying it looks balanced with a variety of equal paths to victory.

And of course the play time is 60-90, anything over that, I don't even consider. (And I actually have to clean out my games using that rule of thumb. We are slow when we play.)

The new stretch goals that are closer together has me thinking about putting in for the two expansions. We'll see how the campaign goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in the game, but no incentive to back on Kickstarter (interesting stretch goals etc), so I'll hold back and wait if there'll be a german edition.

Further, it is way to expensive, and I personally find the minis ugly/don't like the character art much.
Waiting for larger distribution and more review feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Vantilborg
Canada
flag msg tools
I am another who is waiting on retail at this point. The KS doesn't include enough exclusives to justify it. The game is very expensive, and with the delivery over a year out, why would I risk tying up my money? There is very little reason to do so.

Gamelyn Games should really ramp up the exclusives if they want a big KS.

I am interested in this game, just not the KS as it stands now, even with the revision to the stretch goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I am also interested. I don't own any 4X games but am still trying to determine what I think would be my favorite.

Would be nice if the game was not determined by victory points.

Deciding between this and Scythe, Cry Havoc, Rising Sun, or perhaps keep waiting as I'm still trying to find a group that would play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Dubreuil
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had great expectations for this game.
I was just waiting for something lighter as a "Mini Epic 4X".

I read the rules and I think it will be a nice game.

I pledged $1 to be able to post & Co, and i'll wait till last minute to decide wether i pledge for a CORE++ or just loose $1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Conner
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed at the unpainted miniature level because the game just looks like it will be fun to play. I love 4x games and this looks like it will deliver. Sure, it is not as in-depth as some other 4x games, but looks like a good entry-level 4x game. With the re-vamped stretch goals, I'm even more excited to back it.

That being said, the reason I didn't back at the painted level was that a) the paint jobs look horrible and b) I like to paint my own minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ilies
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmb
I backed it simply because, to me, this looks very interesting and fun in terms of gameplay and theme. I read the rules draft and watched the gameplay videos and it seems great, with many elements that remind me of RTS video games: different buildings that give access to different units, 3 heroes with unique abilities which become stronger once you upgrade, asymmetrical factions, etc.

I really like DoaM games (and own several: Kemet, Cry Havoc, Scythe, Chaos in the old world, Cyclades, A game of thrones, etc.), but I never found a relatively short and interesting 4x game, except for Scythe. Usually they are rather long and/or set in space, a theme I usually don't care for. HoLAaS really looks like is the 4x game I was looking for to add to my collection.

Edit: This and Rising Sun will probably be the kickstarters I will back this year, unless something else I don't yet know about will really catch my eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't back it because I already have too many big minis games that I don't have time to play enough. Why buy another?

I've supported all the TE games because those are inexpensive and hit the table often. I hesitated with the last two TE games, though, as both came out in such a short time. And now a huge game that doesn't look to be "worth it" is an easy pass for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Sevcik
Germany
flag msg tools
I backed this game because
a) I'm excited about the gameplay
b) I wanted epic looking minis on my table (got enough games with wooden meeples already)

I wanted to get a "lighter" (than TI3) 4x game, so I bought Scythe. I like it but it's a bit too restrictive (the rivers, penalties for fighting etc.) and it's too light in the "exploration" and "extermination" department.

HoLAaS seems to offer much more freedom in the gameplay, more strategic positioning (in Scythe there are no fronts or choke-points due to the tunnels), more exploration and more fighting as well as more pronounced special abilities of the factions.

I also like how the producers support the campaign - they listen to their potential customers, try tu adapt, communicate a lot and do not squabble with the nay-sayers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed because:

- 6 players. Can never have enough good, deep wargames for 6 players.
- Good, light but deep enough ruleset.
- Card combat, enough choice and not too random. Win or lose it's always you choice.
- Short enough and seems like there's not much downtime.

I don't think the game is too expensive unless you want the (hideously) prepainted miniatures.

Why I might still drop my pledge:

- The board is too big for all but one table we game on.
- That one table is in a place where we kind of never play with six.
- The only place where we play with six is this cabin that has quite a small table, no way this will fit unless there's an option for smaller board.
- We already have quite many good and great games for 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have not backed and I am on the fence.

My reasons are as follows

1. For the game with 2 expansions (it is $175). I dunno, that just seems too steep for me when compared to other CMON KS projects like Rum & Bone or Mythic Battles by Ares Games - and yes, Base vs. Base they seem roughly equivalent but when exclusives and bonus stretch goals are considered it seems there is a canyon of difference.

2. It feels like the KS project fumbled the football from day one and ever since they have been trying scramble to get it back. I applaud GG's efforts to patch up the flaws/missteps in the KS such as the inclusion of miniatures up to the 500K goal. However, all of the missteps and negativity surrounding some getting upset at people for *not* backing did put a sour taste in my mouth.

Adding the standees and then saying that they will not be supported going forward seems like at times the project and GG have been somewhat tone deaf to it's audience. Again, they have sought to correct that.

3. I do have a lot of War/4x-ish games already or similar to that - (Cry Havoc, Scythe, Forbidden Stars, Twilight Imperium, Kemet, Rex: Last Days and even Assault of the Giants set to be delivered).

4. I do think the mercenaries are a step in the right direction but I was hoping for more races/factions like in Tiny Epic Kingdom. I mean, the Tiny Epic games had Treants, Frost Giants, Yeti, Gnomes,Death Knights, Polar Bears races.
This game seem ripe for new races. I was hoping for more races but the ones included do seem really good especially the Undead. Maybe, I'm just being greedy.

5. I do not want to create a self fulfilling prophecy for this KS project but what is the future for it with a tepid success? The KS is not over so it might shoot into the stratosphere later this week when people see the new stretch goals. I think GG trying to alter the goals and pledge levels/tiers is proof that they expected the current status to be much greater.

It is because of all these reasons combined that I have not backed. The order of importance is from top to bottom (1 being my highest concern)

I have Tiny Epic Kingdom and Tiny Epic Heroes Call plus many other GG projects and Scott Almes games.

I want to close by saying, I really hope that the new stretch goals galvanize people to join and that the game is a wonder experience for them when it shows up at their door step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:

1. For the game with 2 expansions (it is $175). I dunno, that just seems too steep for me when compared to other CMON KS projects like Rum & Bone or Mythic Battles by Ares Games - and yes, Base vs. Base they seem roughly equivalent but when exclusives and bonus stretch goals are considered it seems there is a canyon of difference.

I think this is the main thing for me. not only that,.... but the base game only comes with four factions to begin with,.... so you have to pay $140 if you ever want to use more than 2/3 of that huge board!

Don't get me wrong,... I like the big board,...but it highlights my only other real concern with the game itself; and that is even with the bigger board, those constructs still dominate the board. It looks like a mess on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.