Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My Cragheart starting deck for level 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my Cragheart starting deck that I used for the first scenario.

Spoiler (click to reveal)


Our party was comprised of the Cragheart, Tinkerer, Scoundrel, and Mindthief. We completed the scenario although only two of us survived. The Scoundrel and Mindthief were lost:

Lost the Mindthief:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Mindthief used some of his cards to complete his scenario goal to achieve a check mark. He had to kill one enemy on his own without any assistance. He ended up going through two or three cards quickly and with his augmented cards hitting the lost pile when he replaced them, he didn't make the third room. He exhausted out on the way to open the door to the third room. Prior to losing him, his augments were awesome in the melee section as he always received a bonus to his attacks. It helped a lot.


Lost the Scoundrel:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We lost the scoundrel when she opened up the second door to the last room. There were two melee attackers right on the other side of the door and when we drew initiative for the monsters in the room they were like 16 and 17. So both sets got a hit at her before anything else had a chance. She didn't have a move action she could have taken once opening the door. The archers in the third room could all hit her while she was standing in the doorway. By the time she discarded cards to prevent the massive damage from six attackers, she had few cards left and fell in the next round. (She was pissed that opening the door caused her to die so quickly). We didn't have a turn until after the six attacks and there was nothing we could do to heal her up. Before losing her she was killing it with her low initiative numbers and the ability to increase damage depending on how many allies of enemies were nearby. We hated losing her.


I like the way this deck worked for that scenario. It has a good mix so I can heal myself if needed, a little movement, and few cards that get discarded after use. The
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dirt Tornado (the ability to target 7 enemies is awesome and when using the earth augment it's even better. Muddle getting added on to those monsters sweetens it up even more. This card doesn't get lost either, just discarded.)
card was especially handy for the third room. This also has as good mix of melee and ranged attack with bonuses for both. It is weird when you start looking into attacks that target your own party. Sometimes it is not looked upon too favorably, but hey we beat the scenario. I am not sure how this will work against the next scenario and it may change depending on my next battle goal. This will be my base deck though until I hit level two.

Any comments or additional deck strategy tips?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the battle goal the Mindtheif had was to kill an enemy outright with one hit? I don't remember one that you need to kill all on your own but can do so over multiple rounds. Unless I've been playing it wrong
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I think the battle goal the Mindtheif had was to kill an enemy outright with one hit? I don't remember one that you need to kill all on your own but can do so over multiple rounds. Unless I've been playing it wrong


Spoiler (click to reveal)
It was Executioner. Kill an undamaged monster with a single attack during the scenario


He wanted to get it before anyone else hit it first, and he did
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one that required me getting the first kill. Haven't seen a be the only one to hurt and kill a monster yet though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opticus wrote:

Lost the Mindthief:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Mindthief used some of his cards to complete his scenario goal to achieve a check mark. He had to kill one enemy on his own without any assistance. He ended up going through two or three cards quickly and with his augmented cards hitting the lost pile when he replaced them, he didn't make the third room. He exhausted out on the way to open the door to the third room. Prior to losing him, his augments were awesome in the melee section as he always received a bonus to his attacks. It helped a lot.


Did the mindthief cards changed in the final version?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the PnP, augments go to the discard pile, not the lost pile.

Opticus wrote:

Lost the Scoundrel:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We lost the scoundrel when she opened up the second door to the last room. There were two melee attackers right on the other side of the door and when we drew initiative for the monsters in the room they were like 16 and 17. So both sets got a hit at her before anything else had a chance. She didn't have a move action she could have taken once opening the door. The archers in the third room could all hit her while she was standing in the doorway. By the time she discarded cards to prevent the massive damage from six attackers, she had few cards left and fell in the next round. (She was pissed that opening the door caused her to die so quickly). We didn't have a turn until after the six attacks and there was nothing we could do to heal her up. Before losing her she was killing it with her low initiative numbers and the ability to increase damage depending on how many allies of enemies were nearby. We hated losing her.



Spoiler (click to reveal)
There was no archer left in the 2nd room before opening the door? If there was, it was already known that the new archers would attack her right at the end of the round. But yeah, opening a room is really dangerous in Gloomhaven, and I think it's a good thing. You should not open a room without defense, or without being able to attack, or without any moves left to go out of the way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc, you are correct, Mindthief augments are discarded, not lost.

And just to be clear, there is no "be the only one to damage a monster, but take your time killing him" battle goal. The closest goal would be
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Executioner, which adds the restriction of killing it all in one hit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
What'd you think of the X cards? I played with just the base level 1s. After the fact, I can definitely see dropping Back Up Ammunition. The effect is potentially very strong, since you could for instance double up on the damage to adjacent targets or conditions. OTOH, I was a never really in a position where it seemed like a good idea to play it as a buff due to time/enemy pressure.

I suppose Unstable Upheaval might be trouble in a 4 man group, especially with Scoundrel.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VictimEN wrote:
What'd you think of the X cards? I played with just the base level 1s. After the fact, I can definitely see dropping Back Up Ammunition. The effect is potentially very strong, since you could for instance double up on the damage to adjacent targets or conditions. OTOH, I was a never really in a position where it seemed like a good idea to play it as a buff due to time/enemy pressure.

I suppose Unstable Upheaval might be trouble in a 4 man group, especially with Scoundrel.



I like the two X cards I use. They are working well for me at the moment. We finished scenario 2 yesterday. Wow was it tough! My biggest problem that I have noticed is that people get in my way.

My Crag's initiatives seem to run on the high side so when I think about setting something up, people inevitably move in my way and mess it up. Nobody else is using the same augment elements that I use either so I have to set myself up a turn in advance to try to get some "extras". We are having a lot of fun though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.