Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Perudo version of Liar's Dice. I've always played that the person who loses a die gets to start the next bidding round. Maybe seasoned Liar's Dice players could clarify how is that a good thing?

You have no idea what people just rolled and you give others info (possibly) on what you might have. This puts the person who starts bidding in a vulnerable position, like the poor get poorer.

Seems like it would be more balanced to have the person to the left of the player who lost a die begin the bidding. They can hear everyone else's bid before finally having to make a bid. Does anyone feel that way? Has anyone tried this variant? Why are the original rules better?

Second rules question/tweak is about calling Calza or claiming the last bid as exactly right. Why can't the next person call Calza?

Seems like it would slow the game down like - "someone makes a bid, then check to see if anyone else calls Calza, next person makes a bid, anyone call Calza?"

Finally, I try to keep this game simple at the library and with family. I have not played that you bid wilds (at the lower halved number) or do the "Palafico" round. Does anyone use those rules regularly and want to give a recommendation? Is it okay to play without them?

http://www.boardgamecapital.com/game_rules/

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
...You have no idea what people just rolled and you give others info (possibly) on what you might have. This seems to put the person who starts bidding in a vulnerable position, like the poor get poorer.

On the contrary. Whomever starts the bidding round has the greatest level of control. You get to set the stage for subsequent bids, or you can force a bid or a call within the next couple of players--preferably one two seats away from you

As for bidding on wilds, a board helps with this TREMENDOUSLY. There are some nice ones available in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
achasteen wrote:
you give others info (possibly) on what you might have. This puts the person who starts bidding in a vulnerable position, like the poor get poorer.

Far from it. You don't have to tell the truth, neither do you have to open up with a call of one die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
achasteen wrote:
you give others info (possibly) on what you might have. This puts the person who starts bidding in a vulnerable position, like the poor get poorer.

Far from it. You don't have to tell the truth, neither do you have to open up with a call of one die.

I understand you can lie and bid more than 1 dice, but you are being forced to do something after being penalized. The next person has not lost a die and has more information under his cup than the person who lost a die. It sounds like no one has tried or considered any other way?

I'm still curious about Calza. Why can't the next person around the table claim the bid as exactly right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group did not like being penalized for what was another person's mistake or a no win situation (e.g. you know they have the bid exactly right and anything you bid will automatically lose) so we play by the following rules:

Exact Bid Variant

If a person gets the bid exactly right and is challenged they take a die from the losing player.

Example: Player 1 bid five 2's. Player 2 challenges. There were exactly five 2's so Player 2 must give Player 1 a die from their cup.

Double of Nothing

If a person thinks the bid is exactly right they can bid "Double of Nothing". If the bid is exactly right they take one die from the player who got the bid exactly right. If the bid is not exactly right the player bidding "Double or Nothing" loses two dice.

Example: Player 1 bid three 5's. Player 2 challenges by saying "Double or Nothing"

Player 1's Dice: 5, 3
Player 2's Dice: Skull, Skull

There were exactly three 5's, so Player 1 must give Player 2 a die.

"Double or Nothing" Last Die Rule

A person calling "Double or Nothing" cannot take the bidder's last die if they are right. Instead, if they are correct they take a bonus die from off the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.