Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the reviews and session reports, but I'm still left wondering a few things. Obviously, reading the rulebook would answer my questions, but since I don't own the game yet...

I see that if you land on a certain space you can add the number to your rating if it's the right color. Am I right then that a hero might land on a space to boost his attack... thus not boosting anything else so this attacker would then become a target? Also, how much does the color correspondence vary? Does everyone get an attack bonus for red (for example) and a defense bonus for blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When one character attacks another, the attacker's 'attack tally' is compared to the defender's 'defense tally'.

The attack tally is the attacker's attack value plus the number of the space they are on, plus/minus any modifiers. Modifiers may come from a character's special ability or some other character's special ability. Some modifiers are only in effect when on a particular color. Others are based on characters' location in relation to one another.

The defense tally is calculated the same way except it uses the defender's defense value. Modifiers could also affect defense values.

If the attack tally is greater than the defense tally then the hit is automatic. If they are equal, the attacker hits on a roll of 5 or 6 (on a 6-sided die). If the attack tally is less than the defense tally, then the attacker hits on a roll of 6.

A few characters have attacks that are considered automatic attacks and cannot be defended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I've read the reviews and session reports, but I'm still left wondering a few things. Obviously, reading the rulebook would answer my questions, but since I don't own the game yet...

I see that if you land on a certain space you can add the number to your rating if it's the right color. Am I right then that a hero might land on a space to boost his attack... thus not boosting anything else so this attacker would then become a target? Also, how much does the color correspondence vary? Does everyone get an attack bonus for red (for example) and a defense bonus for blue?

Depending on the character's powers, being on a certain color may help him to attack, defend, fly, move farther, do a range attack, and/or other various powers. It won't help all these, and some powers work on any color. It all depends on who the character is and what his card says abut his powers.

Being on red does not help everyone the same way. Sometimes it does not help at all. Red may help one character's attack rating, and blue may help another character's attack rating. Sometimes, it isn't where you stand, but where your target is standing. You might be able to inflict some negative effect on a target that is on, say, a black space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little more clarification from those two above:

The numbers and the colors are entirely separate in Capes & Cowls, and have no bearing on one another. When a character goes to attack another, he adds number on the space he's on to his attack value, and the defending character adds the number he's on to his defense number, both times, regardless of the color of the square.

Where the coloring does make a difference is in the special abilities. A majority of the characters have special abilities that may activate, and whether or not they can activate may be determined by the color of the square they are on. However, the colors that will activate the abilities are not the same for all characters. For instance, there is a werewolf character whose abilities activate (or are stronger) on white spaces (maybe associations with a full, white moon?), while there is also an aquatic type hero who has abilities that activate on blue spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This has been really helpful. But now you have me wondering why a hero wouldn't get on a high number space and stay so as to get the highest attack/defense possible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Okay, so ranges are fairly limited on the battleboard. Still seems like the game might deteriorate into some kind of "king of the mountain" where players would simply strive to "take the high ground".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Thanks! This has been really helpful. But now you have me wondering why a hero wouldn't get on a high number space and stay so as to get the highest attack/defense possible...

Generally, you do want the higher numbered squares. But you also want to consider your powers and the color that benefits you most as well, and also what benefits your opponent enjoys. Also, some characters are ranged and some can score automatic hits. Just getting onto a "4" space (the highest number) just isn't going to hack it if your opponent has any kind of team at all.

For example, if you have Da-Blink: To move him to a 4 and keep him there defeats his whole purpose. He teleports and can get an automatic hit if he attacks immediately after doing so. Also, he would automatically hit any foe on a 4 that he teleports next to and attacks.

Mysteria and Fantazm also have automatic hit capabilities. Star Knight treats all spaces as 4 spaces when attacking, so a foe defending on a 4 space starts out even anyway. Marasmos not only has an automatic hit, any foe he is adjacent to at the end of a round suffers decay (another hit). Moon Beast doubles his attack and defense on a white space, and after turn 5 counts all spaces as white spaces. If you have a character adjacent to Battery-man, and he (Battery-Man) is damaged, Acid Splash will hit you even if on a "4". Golden Rocket can knock you off the square you are on. Dr. Grimfate's "Curse" doesn't even consider the number of your space or defense when checking for a hit. It is much more important to have Tenebro on a dark space than it si to have him on a "4" space. These are just a few examples of why it wouldn't work to just stay on a high numbered square.

I do think it is a good option for Baron Necro. He raises another zombie at the end of each round so I tend to try and protect him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, there are numerous times during the course of a battle or adventure when, in order to use your characters most effectively, you'll simply HAVE to move them lower numbered spaces.

In fact, some characters have certain powers that work ONLY on lower numbered spaces. The three examples that spring immediately to mind are Manchine's Dynablast, Titana's Hard Woman, and Green Gremlin's Backfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.