Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Stalingrad Scenario.

From the onset of this scenario, something felt different. It wasn’t clear what, at first. Then slowly, as we, continued the grueling process of ‘single-unit/ piece’ placement…it struck me. We were not ‘just setting up a scenario of a game’ we were placing the pieces down that juxtaposed two entirely different philosophies, two world views against each other.
With each placement of barbwire, we were defending a way of life. With each mine laid down, another way to rebuff the utter madness of a megalomaniac. As each trench was 'dug' it was to turn the tide of the military machinery of the Werhmacht. When a bunker was placed, it was done so with Marxism in mind, in order to stop the Fascists, and eviscerate the onslaught.

Even with this, it was a mind-game of “which type of piece to place?” If I place my leaders first, it will give away what my plans are…” And that’s what I watched for, “How were the Germans going to be placed? Where would their defensive bunkers be placed? How would he distribute his MGs, and his forces?”

Playing Russia, and having recently read Voices from Stalingrad, I felt compelled to defend the Volga with everything I could. Give to the last drop of blood was culled…and that is exactly what happened.

This was no day to write home to tell your family of the glories of war, this day was for survival, and survival only. For days we were all, the Germans, Our Russian Countrymen, all quiet and immobile at day, and restless and active at night. This changed when we received new orders.

You see Colonel Sokolov’s newly-arrived 45th Rifle Division was deploying and awaiting, yet another, counteroffensive. October 30, 1942; The Germans had taken an important ferry route across the Volga, and it was our newly ordered task, (Sub-machine gunners), along with the 45th RD, to take it back.

Our set up was strong, as we had a trench line set in sector A-1, backed by a bunker in B-1, the trench line extending into the building complex in C-1 and D-1.

Captain Egorov, with his Heavy MG Team was set up to deliver a powerful reminder to the Fascists, that Stalingrad had not fallen, and was not through delivering Hitler’s minions a positive reminder of that fact.
There was truth to the fact that the fighting grew ever more intense as the area that was being fought overgrew smaller and smaller. For us, there was no land beyond the Volga.

To us, it seemed, Fritz just wanted to get out of our sector, as he heavily saturated the area around Sector O-10. Orders kept coming stating, in no uncertain terms, that we had best keep control of the Building Complex, was it the Univers Mag? All we knew for certain was the orders were to hold and maintain Sectors H-2 through H-4, and on to J-2 through J-4.

The courtyard, what was left of it was, once beautiful. Young women would sit there in the sun, in a long-ago time…those days are long gone, Komrad.

Fritz continued to send one Hero in after the other. We would kill one, and another would appear. We must have reduced three, how you say, Dietel’s, to nothing more than more rubble in a city strewn with them.

The second Hero made it into the Building Complex, and began calling in heavy artillery.

Artillary that we had not heard for weeks…it must have been 105’s as we could hear it’s increased whine as it zeroed in on us, time after time…until finally we broke down the wall, useful Satchel Charge, advancing into Dietel’s defensive scraps of brick and twisted metal. We then stripped him of his radio, and his usefulness. When we returned to our bunker, we drank the last of the Vodka after that.

Our casualties were mounting, more guns, and munitions lost, in addition to key forces to defend against the dogs of Hitler’s pack troop.

Though we had lost much, the Germans were down to, what we believed was their last leader, as their troops were not as active, and seemed to have less coordinated attacks.

Yet, however many we killed of the Krauts, it seemed that they would not surrender. It was as if the more we killed, the stronger they became, and the more we killed, they seemed to just shrug it off, and continue to push on.

The day was getting thin, and we knew that something was going to happen. That’s when Deitel, number three, made his appearance. He rushed through withering fire, into Sector J-4, and on into the courtyard, there he rallied a small Kraut Team. He then made one last push, as the balance of the day was held in the bunker complex of Sector J-3. If he took it, we knew the day would be Fritz’s and we would have to face the Commissar. We blasted away in desperation as Dietel and the Squad pushed through the remnants of the door of our defensive bunker, against our withering blazing fire, and the last of our ammo, it was clear that Dietel had no more cards to draw from, his work clearly over for the day. We made him pay.

Even though it was against the Conventions of War, as we looked through his after effects, we found picture of what must have been his girl, back home, an Iron Cross, and, up his sleeve, a tattoo, in the shape of a card, that read, "Advance", and a second one under it reading, "Ambush".

With that we survived one more day in the “City of Rats.” Soon, we could only hope, the Great Counteroffensive of Uran would be launched, and the reprieve of living in this madness would be alleviated forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very detailed dramatic report. Can you do more reports like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this report. Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
Very detailed dramatic report. Can you do more reports like that?

Tell you what, if you fly out here to California, rent a place for a month. We'll set up the gameboard, and play 3-5 games everyday. The best game of the day will be the one that I write up an AAR... or you'll just need to wait till the next 'really good session' comes up, and I find the time to write it up!

Thanks very much for your encouragement, and I have written a couple of others, (check my profile, under Contributions, and Sessions...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will, are you going to be in Burlingame for Conquest during the Labor Day weekend? I think I'd enjoy playing a game of CC with you. I'm not that great at the tactics but have been very lucky and I enjoy the narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
Will, are you going to be in Burlingame for Conquest during the Labor Day weekend? I think I'd enjoy playing a game of CC with you. I'm not that great at the tactics but have been very lucky and I enjoy the narrative.

Hey, thanks for the question. Yes! As a matter of fact I will be there for the Con. I am planning on running a session of Bonaparte at Marengo, and am always interested in playing CC: E. Also, do you know that there is a group that meets every 2nd Sunday to play CC: E? If you're intersted in that, as well, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I'd also like to play some BoM. I've only played twice and would like to try it some more.

Yes, I do know about the Endgame every other week CC game day. Chad has been asking me to go down with him and Kai but family obligations have kept me home on weekend days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, then let's plan on meeting up at ConQuest. I'll be there starting Friday, and will stay through Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup I'll be there! Same time frame.

Anyone else going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eager to play this one, not only because it is Stalingrad, but because it is the first scenario I recall seeing that has both sides as "Defender", which of course means much smaller hands for both sides (hard to save up for a multi-card attack surge) and access to all of the "Defender Only" card options. I thought this was an excellent design mechanic and a definite sign of "thinking outside the (game) box", where the mindset is usually ATTACK vs DEFEND or RECON vs RECON. Now I find myself wondering how I can tweak the Random Generator to give a DEFEND vs DEFEND result...hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The set up for this scenario is fascinating, and is a game in itself. I started setting this one up for a solo run through and was even torn at my own decisions. A very tense scenario.

Great AAR bytheway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colinkun wrote:
The set up for this scenario is fascinating, and is a game in itself. I started setting this one up for a solo run through and was even torn at my own decisions. A very tense scenario.

Great AAR bytheway.

Thanks for the kudos! Man, right, the set-up itself is a war within itself...getting it as "just right" as you can, yet making it so that you can navigate through the horrible web of barb-wire you may have layed down yourself...brutal. By the time the cards are drawn and the battle is under way, adrenaline kicks in, and you better keep your head down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Salomonsson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played this one yesterday, new favourite scenario. We had tense action til the very end and a 4 VP victory for the allies. Great sense of momentum and pace of urban combat. Lots of fun. Lots of carnage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That Will Green can't spill all his Stalingrad secrets - I have to trap some Will Green "lightning in a bottle" for Battle Pack #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm...now that I have had a chance to play this a couple of times, I thought I should comment that both sides set up illegally (retricted to 13 deep).
tyvek wrote:
Combat Commander: Stalingrad Scenario.

Our set up was strong, as we had a trench line set in sector A-1, backed by a bunker in B-1, the trench line extending into the building complex in C-1 and D-1.

To us, it seemed, Fritz just wanted to get out of our sector, as he heavily saturated the area around Sector O-10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We kind of liked the idea of a "solid wall" created along the entire front. Both of us ended up setting up 15 deep. It was glorious, and painful, all at the same time. Yet, I believe we both left one hex somewhere near the center of the board that was a "brief opening" yet defended mightily with MGs.

We had a blast with our set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it that you adjusted the exit and reinforcement rules to fit your set up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.