Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Commands & Colors: Napoleonics Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics» Forums » Variants

Subject: Epic 2 vs 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Because we prefer to play the 2vs2 with both teammates sitting side by side with the same rank and playing normally with both managing 3 sections and a normal hand of cards and because the LGB board we received is of poor quality, we did add sections on the Epic board and played some official scenario this simple way: It did worked perfectly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillaume,

Could you elaborate some on how exactly you do your 2 vs 2 method with Epic? In which order do people play, how do utilize the different decks, etc?

Thanks!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Andy,

EPIC 2vs2 GG HOME RULES

1) We use the normal command & tactical cards & rules. No Epic rule.

2) We use the official Epic board and any official Epic scenario (or house Epic scenario).

3) We add dotted lines on each board to have the classic 3 sections in front of each player.

4) A player must only order units from his board.
Some cards may also order units of the other board (take command) by connections but the activating Leader must be on the board of the player in turn.

5) We play clockwise so for example: French right – French left – Allied right - Allied left - French right etc.

6) Each player plays his own hand. The cards can be shown to each other between partners but not exchanged.

7) The number of cards each player receives is simply equal to the official number in the Epic official scenario.
Example with the scenario EP605 Raab: Each Allied player starts with 4 Cdt + 2 Tact cards and each French player with 5 Cdt + 3 Tact cards.

8) A player can order a unit on his board and move it toward the other board then finish there the movements and combats.

9) No unit can be ordered twice before any opponent player can play they turn.

... That's it!

We find this way much more funny and easy for newcomers because SIMPLER! It's also much less brain storming and easy to schedule because 4 players needed only!

For sure we find any logical solution in case of special rules. For example if Mother Russian rule and Russian units on both board: Both allied player do roll mother Russia. etc ...

Enjoy as we do (as we'll play that way again tonight)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Genius! What you could do is use two decks, one for each side, that way you have absolutely no idea what might be in the opposite players hands, while looking at your own and your subcommander's hands. Ooooh, between us we have two bayonet charges and you have one first strike, that would probably mean that they (the enemy) have neither. See my logic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting Clay but 2 points if I may:

1) No "subcommander" in our simple system: Both partner have the same rank and play they own hand freely ... OK they can speak together and find strategy but each partner stays free!

2) As I said we play this way to stay simple and we only use the core game plus all expansions so no double deck nor new rule.

Regards,
GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Understand, I suppose 'sub commander' was a poor choice of words, meaning co-commander. But my concern is are you not using all cards in one deck too fast? Especially if each commander is receiving upwards of 6 or 7 cards. Seems like a very good idea, and are you designing scenarios into epic scenarios? I wonder if you would just increase troop stregnth 50% or so and stretch the battlefield map out to fit the larger area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
armatiman wrote:
Understand, I suppose 'sub commander' was a poor choice of words, meaning co-commander. But my concern is are you not using all cards in one deck too fast? Especially if each commander is receiving upwards of 6 or 7 cards. Seems like a very good idea, and are you designing scenarios into epic scenarios? I wonder if you would just increase troop stregnth 50% or so and stretch the battlefield map out to fit the larger area?

As far as the first tries we had: I think only once the Cdt card deck went empty (not sure) and we may have reshuffle it! I don't think any problem here. I don't pretend we already have check all the possible "problems" with this way of playing but it's fun and fast learning and there are no problem without solution right?

By the way it was just tries but we are now also tempted to use the official LGB map still with our "Home 2vs2 rules" for each section is wider than our Epic 6 sections. But because the LGB map is of poor quality we are working on creating and printing a real one with a British gentleman named Keith ---> https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24922593#24922593

Also we found that Bayernkini (a german player named Michael) did create many LGB scenarios, very historics and well balanced (look at the scenarios starting by "MD" with "La grand Battle" inside ---> https://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/maps/scenario-...

OK so we will play the 2vs2 battles on Epic or LGB boards but with our "GG 2vs2 rules".

About the scenarios: On our first tries we only used official Epic Scenarios and will trie the Bayernkini's "MD" LGB scenarios, hoping unlike the officials LGB scenarios: they don't ask to own more than one core game & expansions to play them!

Playing 2vs2 our way is fun, easy to schedule, include no ranks but partnership is highly recommanded if you don't want to be smashed by the two opponent buddies in front of you and pay all the pizzas and the beers!

To be clear: I have nothing against playing 3vs3 for example (with a CIC standing behind the 2 subcommanders for example) but I never could manage to find 6 guys to play this game the same day at the same hour during the last 6 years LOL! But even if I play 1vs1 each 1 or 2 weeks, I can find 4 guys to play let's say each 2 to 3 month! That's why we created this 2vs2 fast and furious home easy rule!

So we never understood why GMT choosed to jump from their classical 1vs1 system to something clearly made for 3vs3 or 4vs4? I know that officialy we can play them 2vs2 but we found those mecanism "not the main goal" and quite complex for no such more fun ... In our arrogant opinion ...

GG 2vs2 rule for ever (lol)!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good points all, honestly I think I am more interested in one vs one using the 20 x 11 epic board and the green deck and red deck, if I were ever to have an opportunity to find 4 or 6 people, even at a game show, there is no doubt in my mind I would use exactly what you are doing. I have 2 copies of the core set because I am retired and travel, I take one set with me. At multi player level I believe I would use two decks. In the US Army we always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your having fun in the period and feeling the period in the games, then it's a winning situation. Do you play the ancients series as well? I find it very gratifying that they play so different but yet retain the same elegance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey army? I Did it (only) 4 years when I was young in the Infantry ... (Lebanon 6 months) ... (2d Lieutnant) ...

About CCAncients: I used to own them all and sold them few years ago. The game was great and I agree with you about its "other perfume" and exotic battles with elephants etc. but:

1- My life (and furnitures) were already full and overbooked (familly-work-many other hobbies) so I had to make choices to lighten myself!

... I even hesitated between selling CCA or CCN but:

2- Even if great mecanisms, I did prefer CCN over CCA for some details:

a) CCA was a fake "easier game": I remember my newcomers getting confused by all those green units with similars-but-differents characteristics!

b) CCN class of units being differents by nation (French line vs British Line etc.) ... Great!

c) CCN units losing power while loosing blocks! Loved it immediately!

d) CCN with much less boring "evasions": The units are all here to fight! And the few evading (like the CAV RR) can be "take ground" by the attacker!

e) No more weak range weapons rolling dice for hours with few result: Now if you approach the British line to stay there and have a lunch on the grass: You're dead!

etc ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK now and with the help of a British Gentleman player, I'm gonna print a LGB board on "oil cloth" (not sure of the translation) like I already did years ago for the classical board.
This material is great because it can be rolled and can stand drops of water, wine, whiskey or any other battle accident!

So I think now we will play our 2vs2 on that big LGB board because more room, but still with our simple house 2vs2 rules.

We will keep the EPIC board & scenarios for 1vs1 when both players want a bigger and longer battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
OK now and with the help of a British Gentleman player, I'm gonna print a LGB board on "oil cloth" (not sure of the translation) like I already did years ago for the classical board.
This material is great because it can be rolled and can stand drops of water, wine, whiskey or any other battle accident!

So I think now we will play our 2vs2 on that big LGB board because more room, but still with our simple house 2vs2 rules.

We will keep the EPIC board & scenarios for 1vs1 when both players want a bigger and longer battle!

Is this the graphic you used in the end, for printing ?
If so, as the margin looks a bit different to the C&CN LGB board, what dimensions did you get this printed in, to ensure it comes out at the right scale ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.