Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cobblepot Games is going to make a reprint of Zargo's Lords:

You can "buy" the pdf rule book for free there:

http://www.sirchestercobblepot.com/negozio/zargos-lord/zargo...

I read Italian very little. It seems they did not change anything. They just bring some clarifications (ex: for hostages during alliances), but not that many.
But again, my Italian is quite bad. If a good italian speaker could identify all the modifications and clarifications, that would be great.

It seems that the expansion (Amazons + Arachnids) will be integrated.

The map did not change: same number of hexes, terrains are at the same place. They've added a turn track, and 3 numbered red circles at the bottom: maybe some kind of magic pit turn track ? I dont know.

There will be some minis instead of tokens.
Here are the monks minis:

You can have some news on their website:

http://www.sirchestercobblepot.com/

Here is the last one (there are six in total for now):

http://www.sirchestercobblepot.com/live-from-planet-zargo-6/

I don't know when it will be released. I've sent them an email to ask for an approximative date, we will see. I will post as soon as I've got some news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool news!

Any word on English rules (and components)? I only speak that language, and sometimes poorly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Calolziocorte (LC) - Ispra (VA)
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't just enjoy life: I game-design it
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

I'm touch with Cobblepot Games and I'm happy to share some news about the project. For the time being Sir Chester Cobblepot published a review of the original rules (see the link above by King Bing), which can downloaded for free as PDF (in Italian). This is just a review of the original game edition, since the rules of the new edition will be slightly different.

I've been told that Cobblepot games started releasing this review because their goal is to offer a new game experience, and not a new game. For this reason in the last months/years they collected feedback from the old game lovers (myself included) in order to make sure to improve the game without altering it. In the second phase, after having metabolized the original rules (and published them for free, see above), they focused on the original game's flaws and game's parameters which led to have some units or power stronger than others. This has been achieved always keeping in touch with the old "game addicteds", exploiting also the Italian International Team fan Facebook group.

Now they are starting the third project's phase, i.e. they are defining the new game structure. The first step regards the game components. As you may see from the pictures posted by King Bing, new plastic components will be used to replace the classic cardboard counters.

I'm going to share other news as soon as I get them, probably in the next days/weeks.

@Martin: I know they would like to translate the original rules in English (in the future), but this hasn't been done yet. I'll let you know if I have some news about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the news.

Have you any (approximative) idea when the game will be released ?
Will the expansion (amazons and arachnids) will be included ?

There is one thing I fear with minis: high price.
There's gonna be more than 250 minis. Almost 400 if the expansion is included...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
Thanks for the news.

Have you any (approximative) idea when the game will be released ?
Will the expansion (amazons and arachnids) will be included ?

There is one thing I fear with minis: high price.
There's gonna be more than 250 minis. Almost 400 if the expansion is included...

Hi! I have some others news about the new Zargo's.

The new game will introduce some cards, with specific rules and effects, allowing to manage (and then balance) the parameters and the powers of all units without affecting the unit's basic parameters (movement and combat). This will allow to tweak some specific powers without altering the original rules.

About the expansions: the first edition will include only the four basic People. If - after having published the first edition - the product will have a good response from the market and the players, then they will add the two expansions People (amazons and arachnids). However, the game will always target from 2 to 4 players.

Summarizing, we should have:
- 4 type of units for each People
- Outposts will replace Towns: further details will follow as soon as possible
- Each element (unit type or outpost) will be coupled with a specific card describing features, skills and/or powers
- Magic (as from the original expansion): each People owns 10 scrolls that can be used (by their lords) to cast spells as in the original expansion. Scrolls will be different from race to race, in order to balance them and in the same time to respect the identity and background of each People

About the release date: in may 2017 they should complete the alpha release and start with the beta testing, releasing the game to some testers. But the official release date can't be planned right now. Some rumors says that, more or less and not officially, the game could be published in the second semester of 2018.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, here there are some other news, about timing and the magic whirlpools.

The playing time criteria has not been completely defined yet. The idea is to allow players to decide how many turns the game should last: this is a big challenge because it triggers balancing issues (e.g. Knights are slow and need more time than others). Probably the standard game will last about ten turns, but the game tracker will run up to 25 turns (months) to allow legacy players to take the time to play using the original approach.
I think this is the main challenge of this new edition, because tweaking the game's rules in order to allow players to freely agree the duration of the game, by introducing new victory points criteria, it's a very sophisticated feature. If this will be achieved the new Zargo's Lords could become a masterpiece!

About magic whirlpools: at the moment each whirlpools is coupled to a specific card and a special (custom) effect. This should allow to balance the different continents: I think it's a good idea, because continents are different each other and I always got the feeling they were not well balanced. Therefore each magic whirlpool will "take out of the game" units in a different way and for a different number of turns.
In the pictures above you can see some reddish circle areas marked 1, 2 and 3. These were the temporary locations for units fallen in magic whirlpools: in the final version these areas will be replaced by some specific card, one for each whirlpool's type, and the units temporary removed from the game will be placed on these cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official playtesting by Sir Chester Cobblepot at San Marino Game Convention, May 2017.

Next official playtesting, open to the general public, will take place at IDEAG Costa Est, Ravenna, 1-2 July 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've subscribed to this thread for any news on this interesting game, I'm more biased towards the English rule book as I cannot speak or read Italian!

I think that game board reviewer on YouTube 'Marcowargamer'(Italian expat in the U.S.) will be VERY interested in this game if you haven't already contacted him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody

here it is a first version of the new 3D miniatures:

and here you can find the models for the next miniatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pictures. Any news ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
Thanks for the pictures. Any news ?

Hi. At the moment Sir Chester Cobblepot is fine tuning the components details, with the support of Alan D'Amico and OrcoNero Miniatures.
For example the outpost stickers have been moved below the outpost miniatures, in order to improve secrecy and robustness. Some rings have been added to the other miniatures in order to help to identify the priority of movement and increase stability (lowering the center of gravity). You can preview some components in the video below:

I'm touch with them and I have the feeling they really care about delivering a product worthy to be the heir of the original game. Zargo's Lords is somehow a cult game in Italy, and they don't want to neglect any details for the hurry of publishing. I agree with this approach: we waited almost 40 years for a reprint of this game, I'm happy to wait few other months and having a really good product!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Fantozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
It's nice to see a renewed interest in this game. I still own the original one (with expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
afantozzi wrote:
It's nice to see a renewed interest in this game. I still own the original one (with expansion)

Me too... and (sometimes) I still play it!:

play details

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Fantozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I have not played it for more than 20 years! And I see we're not far. I am just north of Milan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.