Hide
9 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tips for playing the invader ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Bevan
msg tools
Hi all, I have played the first 2 scenarios and the tutorial as the invaders. Every time I have gotten destroyed. Does anyone have any tips to make the games a little bit closer or a rule that I might have misinterpreted ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to give specific advice unless you give a few more details.

The only thing I can with certainty is not to let the first scenario discourage you. I've heard of very few people not getting stomped as the invader.

Always make sure you are throwing away enough useless cards to power up your minions with argent energy. Use the demons' abilities to create openings in the marines' defenses for the next group.

If possible, don't spread out the damage. Pick on a single marine until it's fragged, then go onto the next one.

The game is also generally more balanced with four marines on the table. Are you playing with two or <shudder> one marine as your opponent? I've yet to see a single marine with full benefits lose a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cj W
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gareth -

Might need more info to determine if you misinterpreted a rule, but I will assume you played correctly.

It has been stated several time in other threads here that the 1st mission may not be balanced very well in favor the UAC. You are welcome to search the forums for those threads.

Regarding the 2nd mission (well, all of them actually) you will need to be mindful of when/where you spawn. Just because the card says you can spawn from 1 to 2 portals, perhaps you should only spawn from 1 at the time. And if the marines are right next to a portal perhaps that may not be the best spot.

As an example perhaps you could have spawned at the blue portal at 'the bottom' of the map to start instead of right by where the first teleporter is, which is where the marines begin. It's too easy for them to grease your demons especially when they will likely have more activations that round. Spawn your guys a little further away, then spawn from behind later on as a strategy.

And it's generally a good idea to keep your demons separated and not just when dealing with splash damage weapons and the dreaded chainsaw but it's too easy to glory kill when you have three imps standing in a line. So spread 'em out !

Other than that without having any details on what moves you made and what your strategy was it's hard to have another advice.

I wouldn't put much stock into how anyone does in the tutorial so don't worry about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my advice is coming from the position of a dude who has mainly played against a solo operative. Obviously stuff is going to be more or less applicable to you depending on how many people you're playing with.

It's helpful to realize the game is really positional in nature, and you need to keep that in mind as well as the weapons the marines are using and what roles your demons are intended to play. The second mission is actually a great example of this, because it's sort of set up as a lesson for how, where, and when to use all of the tools at your disposal. Everything has a distinct purpose and strategy.

If they make a beeline for the gauss cannon, stop dropping pinkies and swarm them with possessed soldiers. They'll get mowed down, sure, but the pinky's incredible tankiness is useless when the attacks being thrown at you bypass armor. Soldiers are also great just for surrounds and general area denial, especially if you throw a bunch of argent on them.

If they go for the fast chainsaw, deny their ability to glory kill effectively by denying them fodder enemies. Cacodemons are horrible glory kill targets because their melee attack is brutal and, when wounded, they can just fly into impassable terrain and stun dudes at range. Pinkies with enough argent and with Armored Offensive in your deck are functionally immortal at this point unless the marines really expend time and resources on them. Time is your friend, and making the marines change their mind and double back for the other special weapon is a win for you.

Remember, too, that your threat card for this mission allows you to spawn from whatever portals you want for a reason. Don't just feed the marines easy kills by spawning at the obvious starting portals; wait a while on those and spawn baddies behind them once they're further in the base and fighting head on with some of your beefier yellow portal enemies. It's totally cool to give them some ground and let them nab an early token; remember they need all four to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodySloth wrote:
Remember, too, that your threat card for this mission allows you to spawn from whatever portals you want for a reason. Don't just feed the marines easy kills by spawning at the obvious starting portals; wait a while on those and spawn baddies behind them once they're further in the base and fighting head on with some of your beefier yellow portal enemies. It's totally cool to give them some ground and let them nab an early token; remember they need all four to win.

This. I normally let the first one go as well and catch them from behind later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Bevan
msg tools
Thanks everyone, You have a been a big help.

I managed to get 4 marine frags on the second mission last night. For anyone else who is still struggling, The hints about spawning helped a lot.

I think because it was DOOM boardgame I went in with the assumption that I should be constantly spawning to swarm the marines. Once I started picking my spawns a bit better and amassing a bit of an army, I was able to be a lot more effective.

Discard cards that you don't need until you can make a brutal combo e.g Stun with a weak enemy (after the marine has activated) then charge in with a stronger enemy (with the card that lets you add a black die to your attack) and destroy them. Also DON'T FORGET TO USE YOUR ARGENT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schroer
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
BEER PLACEMENT?
mbmbmbmbmb
a small note I will add, but maybe nobody else is guilty of this:

In any game where card-play is not the main mechanism (i.e. not deck-builders , I have a bad habit of laying my cards face-down on the table and forgetting about them.

Do not do this as the invader in Doom! Always look for ways to use the remaining cards in your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Sunnyvaletrash wrote:

In any game where card-play is not the main mechanism (i.e. not deck-builders , I have a bad habit of laying my cards face-down on the table and forgetting about them.

Do not do this as the invader in Doom! Always look for ways to use the remaining cards in your hand.

Indeed. Ideally, and with very few exceptions, you'll want to be using all 6 of your cards every single round, whether actually playing them or exchanging them for Argent. Unused cards are just a wasted resource, and good resource management is like half of playing the Invader well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schroer
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
BEER PLACEMENT?
mbmbmbmbmb
demax51 wrote:
Sunnyvaletrash wrote:

Indeed. Ideally, and with very few exceptions, you'll want to be using all 6 of your cards every single round, whether actually playing them or exchanging them for Argent. Unused cards are just a wasted resource, and good resource management is like half of playing the Invader well.

Absolutely! I've yet to play a round where I didn't discard at least 2 cards for Argent. More often than not, I discarded 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.