Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lawbringer personal quest - requiring me to kill 20 bandits
. Well after the first scenario
I already killed 4, and I imagine the next one has more bandits too
. My girlfriend has a personal quest to
kill elite enemies
, so I'm letting her finish those off, but still it just seems like I'm going to complete my quest in the next handful of scenarios - potentially before my character even levels up. Am I doing something wrong, or is it OK to retire characters this quickly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't know what her personal quest is.

I haven't even received my game yet, and I have no idea how often bandits turn up in scenarios, but retiring opens a new and possibly stronger character class....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just happened to draw a quest you could make progress on immediately. I stopped seeing bandits after scenario 2, granted I'm not that far. But the scenarios seem to have a broad spread of the many available enemy types, so no worries, you won't knock out your quest too fast. My quest requires me to eliminate three types of enemies I haven't even seen yet. The quests are highly variable and situational and depending on where you are in the campaign, whether you replay scenarios in casual mode, and whether you play random dungeons, you will knock some out faster than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you last hit all 4 bandits?

As far as I know you have to last hit to count it towards your personal quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

That's not true. It's open to the players if they want to keep their personal quest secret or not. I think this was mentioned in the FAQ and that Isaac himself likes to keep his secret, but in Paul Grogans group they even discussed which ones to take at the beginning of their campaign.

Don't have my game yet either, and don't know how many bandit scenarios there are in the beginning, but I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure you will level at least once or twice before you retire. There should soon be other scenarios without bandits from what I gathered here in the forums.
And if you still feel you retire too fast, let your girlfriend kill the bandits Also remember retiring is positive as you unlock new stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
madspy1337
United States
flag msg tools
mb
ReinhartTR wrote:
You just happened to draw a quest you could make progress on immediately. I stopped seeing bandits after scenario 2, granted I'm not that far. But the scenarios seem to have a broad spread of the many available enemy types, so no worries, you won't knock out your quest too fast. My quest requires me to eliminate three types of enemies I haven't even seen yet. The quests are highly variable and situational and depending on where you are in the campaign, whether you replay scenarios in casual mode, and whether you play random dungeons, you will knock some out faster than others.

Ah ok I was hoping that they wouldn't be in every scenario, so that's reassuring. And yes I am making sure to deliver the finishing blow to enemies - it's not that hard when you're dealing with normal bandits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
philmcd wrote:

That's not true. It's open to the players if they want to keep their personal quest secret or not. I think this was mentioned in the FAQ and that Isaac himself likes to keep his secret, but in Paul Grogans group they even discussed which ones to take at the beginning of their campaign.

Don't have my game yet either, and don't know how many bandit scenarios there are in the beginning, but I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure you will level at least once or twice before you retire. There should soon be other scenarios without bandits from what I gathered here in the forums.
And if you still feel you retire too fast, let your girlfriend kill the bandits Also remember retiring is positive as you unlock new stuff!

Didn't know there was an FAQ yet. The rules lead me to not go with open info rather than increase the difficulty level. And to my taste it sounds like more fun without open info and avoids alpha playerism.

From the wording in the rules I inferred that open info in 'hands' didn't extend to personal quest info. I expect that is clarified in the FAQ.

I wantses my preciousss ! Gimme my game

PS I still can't see an FAQ in the files section for the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Didn't know there was an FAQ yet. The rules lead me to not go with open info rather than increase the difficulty level. And to my taste it sounds like more fun without open info and avoids alpha playerism.

From the wording in the rules I inferred that open info in 'hands' didn't extend to personal quest info. I expect that is clarified in the FAQ.

It is not in the files. It is a pinned thread in the Rules forum and at the bottom of the main page.

You may also find this useful:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/142767/rules-summary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
I drew the bandit quest as our option during set-up. I ended up choosing the harder quest so that my starting characters could have more of a go at the world. At least you may get to open a new class quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
philmcd wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
philmcd wrote:

It is not in the files. It is a pinned thread in the Rules forum and at the bottom of the main page.

You may also find this useful:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/142767/rules-summary

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also re-do the quests that have bandits -- not for the scenario reward or looted chests, but for any XP and gold you get along the way.

If you do it that way, you could probably finish the 20 bandit quest by level 2....

Not that I'm recommending it, but it's an option!

One of my characters has a quest that has multiple steps involving a location I haven't encountered yet, and then stuff to do after that. It could be a while!

Another character just has to complete 15 scenarios, which I suppose might get him to around level 5?

A quest I decided not to select involved having like 15(?) party-members complete their quests. I figured in a solo game of two characters that could take a freaking long time! So I went with a different quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
nadurgin wrote:

A quest I decided not to select involved having like 15(?) party-members complete their quests. I figured in a solo game of two characters that could take a freaking long time! So I went with a different quest.

Are you sure that quest didn't refer to battle goals rather than personal quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

Actually, the official rule is that its up to you. We know what all of our personal quests are, we quite like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitarja wrote:
philmcd wrote:

That's not true. It's open to the players if they want to keep their personal quest secret or not. I think this was mentioned in the FAQ and that Isaac himself likes to keep his secret, but in Paul Grogans group they even discussed which ones to take at the beginning of their campaign....

to confirm the BATTLE GOAL CARDS are kept hidden, right? making sure I`, not missing that from rulebook or faqs thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
Kitarja wrote:
philmcd wrote:

That's not true. It's open to the players if they want to keep their personal quest secret or not. I think this was mentioned in the FAQ and that Isaac himself likes to keep his secret, but in Paul Grogans group they even discussed which ones to take at the beginning of their campaign....

to confirm the BATTLE GOAL CARDS are kept hidden, right? making sure I`, not missing that from rulebook or faqs thx

yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool.. thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
nadurgin wrote:

Are you sure that quest didn't refer to battle goals rather than personal quests?

Yeah I confused two different goals. There are a few that require 15 things to be done, but the one I was referring to only requires 2 characters to complete their quests.

Sorry for all the spoiler markings. I don't consider the above to be a huge spoiler, just being cautious so nobody gets upset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
nadurgin wrote:
Ethereality wrote:
nadurgin wrote:

Yeah I confused two different goals. There are a few that require 15 things to be done, but the one I was referring to only requires 2 characters to complete their quests.

Sorry for all the spoiler markings. I don't consider the above to be a huge spoiler, just being cautious so nobody gets upset.

What if that personal quest is the last one drawn after all other PQs were completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are we whispering...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.