Subject: Air Pack - does it really add this much... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
justin hirst
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools

Fellow M44ers, I need your help to understand something which has been bothering me for some time.

I have been watching an Air Pack on eBay this morning go for this eye watering £145 plus £4 postage or around US$180-200!!

Have some of our brethren become shell shocked from one too many artillery barrage, been worn down by repeated armour assaults or just gone plain looney.

Some people have said: "you need it for the cards..." but there are several files on BGG with them all there; Or "you need it for the planes" but Wings of Glory can substitute; or "you need it for the scenario summary book" but there are a gazillion on SFTF or Whaleyland's fantastic PDF files.

I enjoy M44, have a fair number of expansions (all bought at retail value), have a binder with about 400 scenarios printed (and sleeved and sorted by theatre and board type - ok sounding sad myself now...) but the price is just "wah???".

So could someone enlighten me as to what this brings over and above any of official or SFTF scenarios from LooneyLlama or Jesse Rasmussen.

Many thanks in advance, and may your dice always roll grenades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the air pack back when I still owned Memoir'44 (C&C:A replaced it for me later) and honestly I didn't really think it was worth it back then... and I got it for MRSP! Still, your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Aircraft from Axis & Allies Miniatures have been useful:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use the official airpack rules, I use my own rules that have true ground interdiction, bombing, ect. Find them in the files section of the airpack boards. I didn't like that a 200 mph airplane could only move one hex more than a 30 mph tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin hirst
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Rongamer, I was just reading your rules in the link posted above.

An interesting take. I might take them on a solo mission soon.

But I think the the AP Rules are aimed at experienced players, than newer players.

Not convinced they add to, what is at it heart, a simple war-game, which can be taught and enjoyed by anyone very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin hirst
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Pete,
That's what I call German Artillery.
Where did you source those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also used to have the Air Pack (bought when in print for MSRP). The planes are not that interesting, but I don't think that is why there is such demand. I think people mostly want it for the rule cards as that is the only way to get the vast majority of them. The price is still crazy though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
hirsty wrote:
Pete,
That's what I call German Artillery.
Where did you source those?

Both types of artillery miniatures are Micro Machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the Air Pack. I agree with your comment that the main benefit is the cards and the scenarios. In my mind, if you are willing to print up your own set of cards, use the PDF, and get your own planes you do not need it...or actually...you have it. I also think the planes that come with the Air Pack...or maybe more technically the stands...are very fragile. Again...my take only. I got it to be a "completist". My boys and I have every Memoir 44 expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Pack is definitely more of a "nice to have" than a "must have."

The main benefits - a huge collection of rule summary cards and revamped version of most original scenarios, are only marginally related to the air rules. The scenarios where the air rules are mandatory, they work all right, but I never use them in those cases where the rules are optional; which means, for me, even in the Air Pack, the air rules only apply to a minority of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ward
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Is there a PDF of the cards for air pack? I found 7 out of 8 planes with axis and allies but the Fi 156 starch is nowhere to be found. Anyway I'm just wondering where I can get and print the cards

Binderchk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binderchk wrote:
Is there a PDF of the cards for air pack? I found 7 out of 8 planes with axis and allies but the Fi 156 starch is nowhere to be found. Anyway I'm just wondering where I can get and print the cards

Binderchk

There is a PDF of the cards available in the files section of the Memoir 44 boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the air pack and use it in every battle (strafing only - I can't be bothered with the other features and have never used the Storch or the P38)but players only need one plane for each army; not the eight planes provided.

I've seen it sell for £145 on e-bay and find it far too high a price to pay (I paid $100 a couple of years ago and that was too much). The more important elements of the expansion are the cards and scenario book and if these can be obtained in a PdF format at a reasonable price then that is the way to go. If you want to use the planes find some substitute models and use the PdF rules. There are a couple of terrain types that are exclusive to the expansion (gullies and some airfields)but these are used in few battles and other terrain types can substitute for them.

Save your money, buy the PdF and find some substitute planes.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Airpack. I think it's one of the best expansions for 44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm also a big fan of the air pack I have every expansion with 2 of all the army ones 2 bases games 2 breakthrough board sets and a 2nd terrain pack.

1)The cards I never use.
2)The air pack book is great and updates some old scenarios with new features
3)The planes themselves are nice but any 6mm/1:300th scale aircraft would look the same
4) I like the rules for aircraft as printed the only move 4 hexes some say is too slow but i thing this represents diving to attack and climbing after the 4 hexes being the actual strafing at ground level.

You could buy the pdf from days of wounder get a few cheap aircraft and a new deck for the air sortie cards it would be much cheaper. Then if you wanted print the pdf and get it bound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the airpack, just not the airpack air rules. When an airplane can fly at hundreds of miles per hour and a tank moves at under 40 miles per hour, why does the aircraft move only one more hex than the tank? Even the lowly infantry unit with the right card (BEL) can move faster on the board than the airplane! And why should an airplane flying at hundreds of feet in the air have to make a check to see if it can fly over minefields, forests, barbed wire, and other terrain? That's why I made my own air unit rules. They are only six pages with photographs and are available here: https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/suwsf6ks8u/Air_Rules....

There are rules for true ground interdiction, anti-aircraft artillery, air to air combat, recon, bombing, ferrying heroic leader, and kamikazee attacks on ships. Check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I think the air checks represent ground fire and also air to air combat the +2 if an enemy plane is adjacent

I do agree some of the plus 1s for certain terrain is a bit questionable

On the only moving 4 squares I thing it represents the time of the strafing run similar to the 4 hexes hit by the old airpower card which is probably the real reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple answer is no.
More thoughtful answer is probably not.

I got all the pdfs from the file section and printed them on printerstudio MINI cards. I've rarely used the air pack rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagorman86 wrote:

I think the air checks represent ground fire and also air to air combat the +2 if an enemy plane is adjacent

I do agree some of the plus 1s for certain terrain is a bit questionable

On the only moving 4 squares I thing it represents the time of the strafing run similar to the 4 hexes hit by the old airpower card which is probably the real reason

It's better to actually let ground units fire at air units! And have Anti-Air Artillery! (I even have a special badge for Allied Anti-Air Artillery, and for German Anti-Air Artillery!)

But the air unit isn't always strafing,is it?
When it flies around the battlefield to get lined up for strafing, it flies fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess Ron H the air rules are quite abstract compared to the rest of the game and when not strafing they leave the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Martinez Miguez
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got a copy one month ago.

This weekend I had the chance to try it and I do like it very much. The planes add a different dimension to the game and many times you have to choose between keeping your plane flying or using your ground units in a more relevant part of the field.

Also entrenched artillery is no longer extremely difficult to attack and destroy. Last but not least the Air Pack adds a lot of fun in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.