First Class» Forums » General

Subject: Game End cards not created equal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so the 3 and 4 point game end cards are good. But I can hardly justify spending 4 coins or use one of my actions to get a 2 or 1 pointer...

If that's all that is available are 2 and 1 point cards, then why would ever buy these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoviinTarget wrote:
OK, so the 3 and 4 point game end cards are good. But I can hardly justify spending 4 coins or use one of my actions to get a 2 or 1 pointer...

If that's all that is available are 2 and 1 point cards, then why would ever buy these?

It depends on your overall strategy. If you have 5 Conductor action cards already used, a 4 pt game end card is 20 points at the end just from that card. If you've been collecting conductor cards all game and conductor end game cards, you're gonna have HUGE end game points.

That can be the focus of a particular strategy instead of playing to build up your train line or train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
MoviinTarget wrote:

It depends on your overall strategy. If you have 5 Conductor action cards already used, a 4 pt game end card is 20 points at the end just from that card. If you've been collecting conductor cards all game and conductor end game cards, you're gonna have HUGE end game points.

That can be the focus of a particular strategy instead of playing to build up your train line or train.

Right... Like I said, 3 and 4 point game end cards are good.

My point and my question is why would you ever take 2 and 1 point game ends cards?

Doesn't seem to me like there should be any 1 point game end cards in the game as they are far inferior to virtually every other possibility of getting points. You would need at least 5 action cards of that type to make the 1 point game end cards worth it... and there are often many better ways to spend that money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MoviinTarget wrote:
veector wrote:
MoviinTarget wrote:

Right... Like I said, 3 and 4 point game end cards are good.

My point and my question is why would you ever take 2 and 1 point game ends cards?

Doesn't seem to me like there should be any 1 point game end cards in the game as they are far inferior to virtually every other possibility of getting points. You would need at least 5 action cards of that type to make the 1 point game end cards worth it... and there are often many better ways to spend that money.

Not if you're focusing primarily on a certain type of card. For example, in one game, I never took any cards to move the conductor. I only took cards to extend my train. Therefore, the game end cards for the conductor (whatever the number) are useless to me and the Game End cards that reward extending the train are worth more. If you've taken 5 cards, they're 5 or 10 points respectively. By the end of the game, that might not be that many points, but if you have only 4 money at the end, the 5 points from a Game End card could be 1 more point.

It's really all situational, but I agree, the 1 point cards specifically, are not worth taking unless you're specifically focused on that strategy or denying those points to an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the 1 point cards are usually not worth it, but I've bought 2 point cards a couple of times. Most recently, I had 6 of one type, so that 12 points wasn't a bad option. Maybe having those 1 point cards balances the game a bit by not easily allowing someone to score a million points off of goal cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking more closely at the cards, i realized something else about the three types and what point values they are assigned.

Here is the breakdown of the 21 game end cards sorted by points with their corresponding types:

4 - 3x Conductor
3 - 4x Conductor, 3x Locomotive
2 - 4x Locomotive, 3x Upgrade
1 - 4x Upgrade

So they reward you more for conductor action because they presume you won't take that action much. Whereas upgrades are worth the least because there's a good chance you'll have many of them. Is that the idea?

Interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it has more do with 2 facts:

1. Upgrading cars directly relates to scoring recurring points. If the bonus was higher on the end game goals, then you would have less incentive to take cards that move the train or conductor.

2. Upgrade action cards don't lose their utility as fast as train movement or conductor movement. You can almost always upgrade cars, but you can't always move the train or conductor efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MoviinTarget wrote:

Good points about the difference in the point values...one thing I noticed in my first play is that it may be worthwhile to buy one of these lower valued game end cards for the small bonus action it provides.

I do not recall the specifics off the top of my head, but imagine that you wanted to spend one coin to gain a train movement. Perhaps, instead, you should spend 4 coins to get a game end card that grants this movement as its bonus. Since you were going to spend a coin anyway, it is probably worth considering spending 3 more coins to get a game end card as well (especially if a 2+ point card grants the benefit you want).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.