4 Posts

Secrets of the Lost Tomb: Reign of Terror» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The good and the bad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quisy Hanson
msg tools
mbmb
When I read the cover of Secrets of the Lost Temple: The Epic Adventure box I was intrigued. I own and have played several games in this genre (Fortune and Glory, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Mansions of Madness, Eldritch Horror, Touch of Evil) and generally enjoy the game play. This was the first time that a campaign mode was introduced.

After playing the game through a campaign, there was both good and bad.

First the good:

The mechanic for a persistent character inhabiting the bodies of characters enables the campaign mode. This allows you to use the many characters provided by the base games and expansions while having an overarching character that can gain abilities and become more powerful.

The use of the campaign tree allows for use of the base set and any expansions expansion owned, and gives a logical progression from easy to difficult scenarios.

The addition of extra victory condition in each of the scenarios is a nice touch.

The bad:

The story revolves around a group of teenagers that are recruited by the Eternal Order of Perseus. An experience writer may have been able to pull this off. Unfortunately, instead of being a narrator of the story, the writer uses dialog to speak for your characters (which have stupid names such as: Bolt, Terra, Cyclone, Blaze, etc.). George Lucas could have written this dialog, and it rambles on way too long. The introduction and final conflict descriptions go on for pages.

The rules for playing the campaign are very brief, and do not do a good job of explaining how to handle your master characters point. This is especially true of the final scenario (The Epic Conclusion). (See Spoiler Alert at the bottom)

We may have been playing the game wrong, but after the first three scenarios, our characters were over powered and quickly over came the last few without much resistance. There may be an issue with game difficulty balance. Each of the scenarios individually are intended for the base characters. When you start getting abilities of 9 and 10, even Boss monsters are not that difficult.

Overall:

When it comes to the Epic Adventure, the bad definitely outweighs the good. While I enjoyed the individual advents of the base game, there are too many problems playing this as a campaign. Despite a good premise, poor game balance, lack of clear rules, and week story all lead to a less than satisfactory gaming experience.

Spoiler Alert!

For the Epic Conclusion, the rules are very confusing. Are you taking on the body of a basic character? Are you using your own. If you are using your own, what is you health? What is your Audacity? When fighting yourselves, do you use the Doppelgangers rules? What about Panic and Courage? This was not explained in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play with any addons like Passages and perils?

Did you use the harder rules (Red tomb cards, spawning on entry tiles)?

Greetings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing it for myself I have to admit that the balance is not there.

You got so powerful that the monsters are not even a challange.

I love the idea behind this expansion but this does not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
After playing it for myself I have to admit that the balance is not there.

You got so powerful that the monsters are not even a challange.

I love the idea behind this expansion but this does not work.

Be sure to review page 5 of the Epic Adventure book and read the between scenarios setup very closely.

Thanks

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.