Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Thunderbolt Customs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on some Thunderbolt cards that spun out of my Pro-Reg cards. I've just started getting the cards together, and wanted to share my new keyword: Enlist!

Enlist will be shown on a card as Enlist X. What it means is that you have to KO cards from your victory pile that meet or exceed the enlist cost of X in victory points. For example Enlist 1 means that to activate this ability you need to KO a card from your victory pile that is worth 1 or more. Enlist 3 means that you have to KO a card, or cards, that total VP of 3. Each Enlist effect can only be activated once, and must be activated at the time of playing the card. The reason I say "cards" is because you can use anything worth VP in your victory pile: Villains, Bystanders, Masterminds. Keep in mind it only works on printed VP though.

The idea behind Enlist is that your victory pile becomes something like a new currency that you can spend to trigger powerful effects. I think this provides an interesting dynamic, especially if playing competitively since then you have to balance the VP lost by the VP gained from your actions.

The reason I thought that this would work with the Tunderbolts is because it represents Villains being recruited into the Thunderbolts, or coerced/blackmailed is more like it.

I haven't actually play tested these cards yet, I just got some worked up to start play testing. Hopefully the effects are sufficiently powerful enough to be worth paying the price. I try to have a mix of Enlist effects and normal card effect since you can't always benefit from Enlist.

Please let me know what you think, and I'll add more as I go along. I'm sure they're going to be some spelling errors and stuff like that because I just tossed them together. If the play testing doesn't go well, even after ramping the powers a bit, I may just have to scrap the idea. Hopefully it works out though, because I think it's pretty thematic.

Moonstone - She can rescue bystanders to generate VP for her effects. Her uncommon gives a mild boost to Enlist. For her rare you can make X any number 1 through 4, though you must decide at the time of playing it and before you start drawing cards.

Penance - A wound system seems like a natural pairing for this character.

Radioactive Man - Since this is meant to go along with my Pro-Reg and the official civil war, I thought his uncommon could have a good impact against fortify cards. His Megaton Punch is a simple example of how I thought Enlist could have a good impact. Drawing 2 cards is a good effect, especially for a common. You have to spend 2 VP to get it. Maybe those 2 cards could get you enough fight to get the mastermind though! Just noticed it says twp cards though... will fix that later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For such a drawback, the Enlist 1 abilities might be underpowered. (For the record, I only looked at the first deck so far.)

For reference, compare Ghost Rider, whose two KO-a-villain abilities might as well be Enlist 1. A common that costs 5 tops out at 5 attack when KO'ing even a Henchman.

Ghost Rider
Marvel Knights

Blazing Hellfire (5 copies)
Ranged
2+ Attack
You may KO a Villain from your Victory Pile. If you do, you get +3 Attack.
Cost: 5

Hell on Wheels (5 copies)
Tech
2+ Recruit
Marvel Knights: You get +2 Recruit.
Cost: 3
Most motorcycles don't drive up walls. Most don't drive into your nightmares.

Infernal Chains (3 copies)
Strength
Draw a card.
Strength: Defeat a Villain of 3 Attack or less for free.
Cost: 2

Penance Stare (1 copy)
Ranged
3+ Attack
Each player KOs a Villain from their Victory Pile. You get +1 Attack for each Villain KO'd this way.
Marvel Knights: Put one of those Villains into your Victory Pile.
Cost: 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

Well Done!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
For such a drawback, the Enlist 1 abilities might be underpowered. (For the record, I only looked at the first deck so far.)

For reference, compare Ghost Rider, whose two KO-a-villain abilities might as well be Enlist 1. A common that costs 5 tops out at 5 attack when KO'ing even a Henchman.

Ghost Rider
Marvel Knights

Blazing Hellfire (5 copies)
Ranged
2+ Attack
You may KO a Villain from your Victory Pile. If you do, you get +3 Attack.
Cost: 5

Hell on Wheels (5 copies)
Tech
2+ Recruit
Marvel Knights: You get +2 Recruit.
Cost: 3
Most motorcycles don't drive up walls. Most don't drive into your nightmares.

Infernal Chains (3 copies)
Strength
Draw a card.
Strength: Defeat a Villain of 3 Attack or less for free.
Cost: 2

Penance Stare (1 copy)
Ranged
3+ Attack
Each player KOs a Villain from their Victory Pile. You get +1 Attack for each Villain KO'd this way.
Marvel Knights: Put one of those Villains into your Victory Pile.
Cost: 8

Hmmm... maybe you're right. Net gain from Ghost Rider's common 5 attack for 1 VP at 5 cost. I think the Penance one for 4 attack for 1 cost 1 VP and 1 wound seems to be fair, but maybe the Moonstone needs a little of a boost. She would be 3 attack and draw a card for 4 cost. Moonstone's common does have more utility without KOing any VP whan Gost Rider's though. You can KO henchman though! Anything with VP, henchmen, bystanders, even Masterminds.

This idea definitely needs a bit of play testing, maybe I'll be able to get some done this weekend, but I'll be out of town this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As one could guess, this project is dead. I had a very hard time finding a balance between powers and the KOing of victory points. I thought the idea seemed very thematic, but didn't really seem to pan out in play testing.

I may work on a different set of Thunderbolt cards, but would still like to come up with some sort of keyword or new mechanism. Until then I've been puttering around with some Noir cards and will be submitting some cards for Dog's last design challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.