Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Maier
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand Innovation can be a swingy game, but it's less fun to win or lose in a blowout.

To help mitigate this, we have formulated a simple house rule for splaying.

Whenever a player splays a color right, all other players may splay that color left. Whenever a player splays a color up, all other players may splay that color right.

That's it. I should include that I've only played this rule at 2 players. In theory, it either lets other players get some cards splayed, or makes you take some suboptimal splays just to prevent the other player from splaying. Either way, it slows the splay leader a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern here would be that this shifts the power and makes non-splaying cards more powerful (why bother paying for cards that splay when you can free ride on your opponent).

Many of Chudyk's games tend to be engine builder games that can lead to blowouts if one ore more players is outclassed by another play. Ridiculousness is basically the end condition of this and Glory to Rome for example.

I would think this suggestion would just slow down the end game condition causing it to drag because one player can now leech another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not believe this to be a good rule, sorry. If it helps you have fun, that's your call though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that this game has had some interesting moments where the momentum can swing back in a short time. Sometimes the leader just stalls out.

I agree with the other posters that this variant fundamentally changes the game and the design of splay cards.

It's like a 30 minute game...just play it out and start another if the leader crushes you.

Tempest in a teacup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl games with catch up mechanisms?!? No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:

The only catch-up mechanism in Carl's game is another broken combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RafaƂ Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:

Figures of the Sand is THE ONLY ADDITIONAL catch-up mechanism that the base game really needs. Drawing Figure on Share and on opponent's achieve is really enough.
But there are a lot red solution that allow to steal tech from hand(see Archery) , and lot of Crown solution to steal tech from play in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Pahn wrote:
I understand Innovation can be a swingy game, but it's less fun to win or lose in a blowout.

To help mitigate this, we have formulated a simple house rule for splaying.

Whenever a player splays a color right, all other players may splay that color left. Whenever a player splays a color up, all other players may splay that color right.

That's it. I should include that I've only played this rule at 2 players. In theory, it either lets other players get some cards splayed, or makes you take some suboptimal splays just to prevent the other player from splaying. Either way, it slows the splay leader a bit.

I'm not a big fan of this rule - but I find it interesting that you have found that this rule helps people catch up! Often, the "blow-out" games are things like "One player achieves the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and Monument".. in games like that, the winning player often never is splaying right (or, perhaps, they briefly have a 2-card splay right as they run Coal.. and all this rule would do is have them decline to splay right). Often the player who is *losing* in those kind of blow-outs is the one splaying right - they've got a board that isn't that effective, and they're trying to splay in order to catch up on symbols to prevent the player who's winning from being able to run their dogmas.

In fact, I think that I most often am splaying when I'm losing, and I need to splay for symbols.. and if doing so gives my opponent more symbols, then you've taken away one ability for me to catch back up. So I'm curious how your games are going, such that the winning player is ended up more splayed.

(I also think your rule is going to have some wonkiness over the claiming of "Wonder" - this special achievement often isn't very contested until the 7s or 8s, which means that often players are using up-splays to get it.. which means that they might find themselves in the odd position of being unable to contest it, because their up-splays gives their opponent right-splays, making it possible for their opponent to claim it first!)

So ya.. if you can, please describe how your games are going, and why this rule helps people catch-up.
(I think personally, if I were to create a "catch-up" rule, it would be that "Whenever you achieve, you must transfer at least 5 points worth of cards from your score to your opponents score" - I think this would help avoid the blow-outs that I'm most used to seeing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.