GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Taking new players for A Ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Knight
United States
Navarre
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this is such a great gateway game. The rules are easily explainable in 2-3 minutes tops, the mechanics are simple, the theme is friendly, and everyone accomplishes enough to feel satisfied.

In the past two days, I've introduced 3 experienced gamers to TTR, and they've all loved it. They all picked up the mechanics within 2-3 turns, and were laying tracks all over the place. It was actually quite fun to watch them making all the newbie mistakes I made when I first took up TTR. You know, things like picking the locomotives everytime they came up, starting on both ends of a destination and working toward the middle, etc.

In the end, I scored one of my highest scores ever - 159 - not because of poor play on their part. I just got lucky with the tickets and drew a bunch I'd already completed. Still it kinda knocked the wind out of their sails when we scored them first and one score 114 (way more than the next player), and then we scored me and I lapped the last-place player. It just served as a reminder of how important it is to take things easy on new players to any game. Luckily my friends are gamers at heart and a total thrashing won't turn them off to a new game right away.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shake beating up on newbies like that.

LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree -
for someone who seems to take pride in introducing people to a new game, you sure didn't play the game with an eye towards encouraging them to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.