Popular Tags: [View All]
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question pertains to the contents and rules inside box 6, so please do not read this unless you have unlocked the final box and are very near the end of your campaign.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
By this point, you know that there are some advisors with hidden waves on the back that offer you "+5 successes." Obviously, you must have at least one of these in your possession in order to have discovered the Island of the Damned.

When we did so, we were instructed by the Captain's Booke entry to destroy any advisors who aided in that explore endeavor.

But what happens to the rest of the "+5 success" advisors that weren't destroyed? Can their auto-successes be used to close the Hellmouth as long as you have them in your possession? Or is the +5 only a boost to finding the island?

If you can't use the +5 advisors, it looks like the only quick path to victory in the final game is for someone to build the Temple. Failing that, I'm skeptical of whether any one player can collect enough Seals boost their Raid/Explore enough to get 20 successes before the world burns down, especially since the very first "Death" card drawn each year exhausts everyone's ship upgrades. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The +5 is only for finding the island.
The gate of Hell is in fact surprisingly easy to close, and I strongly recommend you and yoyr friends houserule that all 3 seals have to be found before it can be attempted, or the ending may come as an amticlimax. (It also makes more sense thematically)

As you noticed, the Temple is a huge help in doing so. Other options are something like :
- 1 seal + 3 relics + 5 dice + 2 upgrades + 4 confrery advisors + 6 from an advisor + something to double the raid successes :here you've got 17 dice, and every strong success is doubled. Add in like 4 fortune tokens and you have a better than 50 % chsnce. Enough of them and it's a piece of cake.

Note that you can also use maps if you attempt an explore action.

Finally, unless I'mistaken, it's not "the 1st Death card of the year" that matters, it's the first death card, period. So once it's passed nothing stops you from upgrading.

You might need one or two games to complete that final mission. IMO it's better that way. But the world doesn't burn everyturn either, you may reach first and second winter before everyone loses, unless you built very few colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I agree with what you're saying about the wave chart but I'm not sure you're interpreting some of the other rules the same way I am.

1) You get 2 auto-successes for having "an active" society advisor. I don't think "an active" is the same thing as "all refreshed society advisors in your council room." So the way I read it you could only ever have one active society advisor for a maximum benefit of 2 auto-successes.

2) The Infernal Deck directions tell you: "At the end of the YEAR shuffle all discarded and face up infernal cards to make a new infernal deck." So I think the first Death card every year would exhaust your ship upgrades, unfortunately.

3) The rules say that this is the final game of the campaign. Unless paragraph 282 tells you to try again, it's all or nothing on the final game. If that's not the case, please don't tell me, as I'm going to approach the game as if it's the final battle between (mostly) good and evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, a small correction:
(Box 6 spoiler)
the society leaders have "+5 charts" on their backsides, and while you are required to include one to even attempt the discover of the last island, they are still "+5 charts" when used elsewhere. So they could be used to discover a different island. (But not a land site, like the gate, so this is kind of irrelevant for post-campaign play.) If you realize this soon enough (we didn't) it can make those last couple of islands child's play to discover.

Other than that, I've only skimmed the new material, so I have little to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.