Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Moody
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game – Snail’s Pace Race is a roll and move game featuring colorful snails trying to reach the finish line.

Game Play – Game play for Snail’s Pace Race is very simple. Players try and guess which snail is going to win the race, and then take turn rolling the dice to move the snails. Each color rolled on the two dice moves the corresponding snail forward one square.

The Kids – At various stages I have play Snail’s Pace Race with each of my three boys, now ages eight, five, and four.

I bought this game for my first son when he was three, thinking it would be a good introduction to board game concepts without the winning and losing. We have tried it at ages three, four, and five, with brothers and just with dad. While my heart was in the right place, I didn’t bargain on how early competitive nature takes root. While all of my boys are quite individual, all three reacted the same to the game. They immediately claim ownership of a color (“the green snail is mine”), rather than guessing a winner. If one player rolls a blue, the ‘blue player’ doesn’t want him to move the blue snail, and the game always ends with winners and losers. With us, it ends up being more of a race track gambling atmosphere than a cooperative experiment in snail observing. As a competitive game, Snail’s Pace Race stinks, so it has not faired well in my house.

Summary – The game looks nice, and definitely has that initial appeal. However, with children tending towards the competitive side, it won’t live up to its billing.

For children with the right mind set: recommended age range – 3 to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.