Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seemed like a good idea at the time of setting up my first game of Legendary with my son: use Hulk against Legacy Virus. I saw from the Rulebook section on Wounds that Hulk can use them to benefit. The Legacy Virus scheme is all about Wounds.

I wanted to try Magneto, who looks like the second-easier Mastermind (the 8 among the 7, 8, 9, 10). We decided to play, along with Hulk, Spidey, Deadpool, Cyclops, and Storm.

Things didn't go well. We drew a lot of Twists. So we were zipping through the 12-card Wound stack toward the Evil Win condition for the Legacy Virus scheme. We also drew a lot of Masterstrikes from the Villain Deck.

From the Hero Deck, it seemed that we drew more Hulk than any other Hero. We got to the point where we each kept getting a hand with Crazed Rampage, and of course wanted its 4 Attack, but couldn't play it because we couldn't afford to further deplete the Wound deck.

We just about got the win, because we... cheated is such an ugly word... adjusted a deck once, twice, or...

Questions:
- Is Hulk against the Legacy Virus scheme one of the tougher setups in the base game?
- Any other comments on the setup?
- Should we have been able win more easily (or honestly)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
Questions:
- Is Hulk against the Legacy Virus scheme one of the tougher setups in the base game?
- Should we have been able win more easily (or honestly)?

Yes
No
No

Loki + the legacy virus is one of the toughest combinations.
If you don't have a lot of techs cards, it's even worse.
And if you have cards making you draw wounds, it even more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
We decided to play, along with Hulk, Spidey, Deadpool, Cyclops, and Storm.

Spidey is, as most cases, a horrible pick. Hulk, DP and Storm have zero 2-cost cards, Cyclops only has his Common Str one that gives Recruit, meaning Spidey's "reveal top card of your deck, if 2-cost or less, draw" will only work with himself and SHIELD Starters. So either you load up on Spidey (gaining pathetic Attack) or take the smart route, ignore him, better yet, remove him from the setup and choose a useful hero. Storm has the only other real draw effect provided with her Ranged combo, but only other Ranged hero is Cyclops.

Also, I think you're utterly SOL regarding KOing heroes, meaning you can't cull out SHIELD Starters at all (barring Fight effects). At least don't recall any KO effects between those five heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liquid Avatar
msg tools
Yeah, Hulk's a tough one in that setup. If you want healing, go with Wolverine (so that you won't be taking new wounds with his cards), or just try to avoid them entirely by having a lot of Tech oriented heroes. If you had Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Spiderman and Wolverine, I think that you'd find things much more manageable (although you will be a bit light on xmen for Magneto, but I don't think there are many good tech xmen in the base game).

Also, regarding Spiderman, if you want to use him you've got to build your whole deck around him, meaning only VERY rarely buy anything that's more expensive than 2. In fact, the only exception that I regularly make when building a Spiderman deck is Black Widow's card that does damage based on the number of bystanders you have. Spiderman is really good at rescuing bystanders and Black Widow also has a bystander rescue card that's cheap, so it fits in nicely with the spider-deck. I've finished games (using Spiderman decks) with 14 bystanders in my victory pile, where I was was pumping out 30+ damage every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only three of the Hulk cards in the set-up mentioned, actually actively cause wounds. Just don't buy those cards. There's hardly any Tech so having an Unstoppable Hulk or two in your deck can make use of the wounds you do pick up. Growing Anger combos quite well with Cyclop's Determination which is cheap, and will give you recruit you could use to pick up Hulk Smash, if that comes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all. We avoided Iron Man, since my son suggested he might be vulnerable to Magneto's power. This made sense to me based on magnetism, but I'm obviously still getting to know the cards.

Will probably go up against Viral Magneto with Iron Man, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, and EF. It'll be my first play with the last 3 X-Men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.