Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cam T.
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does the dreadmire kickstarter include hero cards? Or was that an optional buy as Nortec elites? Whats the difference?

The stretch goals shows hero packs and stretch goals. Are these the same things?

I've read some reviews saying how these hero cards make a big difference in the game. Are the nortec elites the ones I'm after? Any help appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nortec Elite add-on provided updated hero and upgraded item cards for Onslaught. If you want the heroes and upgraded item cards for Dreadmire you have to look on EBay at this point for a Dreadmire Kickstarter package; perhaps CMON will release these cards at a later point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam T.
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's the thing. I just bought a kickstarter package off of ebay (haven't received it yet) but does that have the nortec elite cards or does dreadmire kickstarter have different heroes.

In other words do I need to track down nortec elite cards or am I good to go with the dreadmire kickstarter stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have all you need to play Dreadmire. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone interested in more info on the Nortec Elite set see update #27 on the XenoShyft Dreadmire Kickstarter page. A complete list of the cards can be found on BGG in the file section of the Dreadmire game page courtesy of game designer Michael Shinall.

I was late to the game for both editions and missed both Kickstarters. Bummer! I bought the Kickstarter edition of Dreadmire on BGG. I bid on a Onslaught Kickstarter package on EBay and lost. My solution: I bought a used copy of the base Onslaught game and bought a copy of the Nortec Elite cards on EBay. That gets you a good portion of the most important cards that you need for Onslaught--the heroes and upgraded item cards.

The debate over Kickstarter exclusives is an old one, but I am baffled that latecomers who want to pay companies like CMON for the "full game" are left out in the cold--they don't seem interested in our business. I paid a small premium on BGG and EBay for my games and extra card sets, but I don't begrudge those sellers--I am just happy to have the games.

I will give CMON credit for their gorgeous XenoShyft app--I actually started with that first and then bought the physical copy of Onslaught. That makes no financial sense, but I love the real thing on my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just acquired a Dreadmire bundle here on the BGG Marketplace (having originally missed the late pledge window) and after looking through these "Kickstarter Exclusive" Hero and Legendary Item cards, I'm not exactly sure how to feel about them. It seems like an interesting idea, but if the regular game is technically balanced to play with the standard Troop cards, I don't know that I want to make things less challenging; I'm strongly considering not using them at all. Can anyone comment on their experiences of how these affect play?

While it could be said that it's merely a way of adjusting the difficulty (there are other suggestions in the back of the rulebook, after all), I struggle with the idea if it's really worth trying to track down this NorTec Elite pack for the Onslaught base game. The completionist in me says yes, but at the same time I'd honestly rather have the Forbidden Sciences expansion instead (and why does THAT have to be exclusive?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
I just acquired a Dreadmire bundle here on the BGG Marketplace (having originally missed the late pledge window) and after looking through these "Kickstarter Exclusive" Hero and Legendary Item cards, I'm not exactly sure how to feel about them. It seems like an interesting idea, but if the regular game is technically balanced to play with the standard Troop cards, I don't know that I want to make things less challenging; I'm strongly considering not using them at all. Can anyone comment on their experiences of how these affect play?

While it could be said that it's merely a way of adjusting the difficulty (there are other suggestions in the back of the rulebook, after all), I struggle with the idea if it's really worth trying to track down this NorTec Elite pack for the Onslaught base game. The completionist in me says yes, but at the same time I'd honestly rather have the Forbidden Sciences expansion instead (and why does THAT have to be exclusive?).

Forbidden Sciences isn't exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Shinall wrote:
chindent wrote:

Forbidden Sciences isn't exclusive.

Gah, I misread the Kickstarter description--it's only the oversized Division cards that are exclusive. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the legendary items are often very helpful, but that's just my opinion. Note that Onslaught items can be used in Dreadmire to provide more variety. If they release the Nortec Elite as a retail set I definitely would recommend adding it to your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
The Nortec Elite Pack makes the heroes work better with the "(w)" damage rule mechanic and makes them less overpowered, or under powered later on.

They are some subtle changes, but it makes the Onslaught Elite cards into more valuable units that later can still be used to put up a good fight (and comparable to Dreadmire heroes).

Elite heroes is certainly a must, it adds a mechanic that makes you want to really consider who "should" die and who should not.

Elite items from what I've seen is best used with the rules of only making one deck, and in each round you can either choose to buy it, or everyone discards it for a "new option".

Sometimes they can really turn a game around, or outright not be effective which increases the entertainment factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.