Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 29 - Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
In this haunt the spoilers have to throw torches using a Speed roll against the Frankenstein monster so we assume he defends with Speed roll 3. But in the Traitor book it says the Frankenstein monster is immune to Speed Attack. So how does the monster defend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sentence in the Traitor's Tome is poorly worded, but I think the intention is that the monster is never stunned by a Speed attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
ironregime wrote:
The sentence in the Traitor's Tome is poorly worded, but I think the intention is that the monster is never stunned by a Speed attack.

So we played it right where the monster defends with Speed Roll? That was an easy kill since he only had 3 Speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koolkat67 wrote:
So we played it right where the monster defends with Speed Roll? That was an easy kill since he only had 3 Speed.

Yes, it defends with a Speed roll of 3 dice, but is not killed right away. Note the text in the Secrets of Survival...
Secrets of Survival wrote:
If you defeat the monster, it takes one Torch hit and you lose the Torch. ... The monster is killed [when it has been] hit by a number of Torches equal to the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Quote:
The monster is killed [when it has been] hit by a number of Torches equal to the number of players.

This brought up another question for us. What if you had 6 players? You only get to start with 5 torches so you can't hit the monster 6 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koolkat67 wrote:
What if you had 6 players? You only get to start with 5 torches so you can't hit the monster 6 times.

The Secrets of Survival says "There’s no limit to the number of torches you can find during the game..." That means when a torch token is used (either thrown or destroyed), it is returned to the pool of available torch tokens.

On a side note, while the books don't specify how to track torch hits to the monster, I'd suggest using the Turn/Damage Track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
ironregime wrote:
The Secrets of Survival says "There’s no limit to the number of torches you can find during the game..." That means when a torch token is used (either thrown or destroyed), it is returned to the pool of available torch tokens.

Oh right, the 5 must be so every hero can carry one. The wording is strange. We were discarding them when we read it but I get it now. Thanks.

ironregime wrote:

On a side note, while the books don't specify how to track torch hits to the monster, I'd suggest using the Turn/Damage Track.

Actually our book specifies to use the Turn/Damage Track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.