Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
102 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Poll: How supportive is your significant other in regards to your gaming hobby? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Been wondering what the norm is out there...

Poll: Select one:
Find the closest approximation to your significant other's support of your board gaming hobby...
Select one:
Shouldn't you be asking how much I support their gaming? They're a bigger junky than I am...
We are on a relatively same level. We support and/or restrain our gaming hobby equally.
My significant other is fully supportive allowing me to persue this hobby as I please, even so much as to push me further into it through various means (buying games, encouraging convention attendance, etc.) even though they themselves aren't as interested in the hobby as I am.
The hobby is my thing, I go about it as I please, and I don't hear much about it one way or another.
They are neutral on my hobby, only asking that I maintain a healthy balance between it and other parts of life. I'll probably hear about it if he/she feels like I'm going overboard.
They may not like my gaming or may wish that I'd cut back though I'm still allowed to plenty of opportunity to persue the hobby.
I actively need to negotiate or have a mutual understanding about my gaming/hobby time, it's a give and take relationship.
I might take heat for the hobby, though I'm allowed to indulge myself from time to time.
One might say they are anti-gaming. It's contentious any time the topic arises. They probably would be, or think they would be, happier if I gave the whole thing up.
I've pretty much been given the "it's me or the gaming" ultimatum...
My s.o. doesn't even know I'm a gamer... It's probably better that way.
Other... No current significant other in my life at the moment.
      1525 answers
Poll created by mildthrill

Feel free to discuss, but please be respectful of other's and their significant of choice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner is supportive and likes to game with me but I am the addict. He is not into researching or buying games and he thinks our collection is too big. I think this also is partly due to 1. His family's opinions on what is worth spending money on 2. He is more susceptible to other's opinions about having 'so many games' than I am. My aim is to keep my shelf full and not go beyond it (except mechs vs minions which doesn't fit on it cos that box is massive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are on more or less the same level. I generally take point on purchases and pay more attention to the "board game" web content, but she is always the first person I'll try a new game with, and is equally likely to suggest bringing a game to the table as I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abhishek Thakkar
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got married 3 months back, and her reaction to it has been mixed. Most of my collection was heavy for her (Eclipse / Caverna / etc), or I had played them too many times that she'd lose almost every 1st game we tried (Jamaica/ Carcassone - the farmers were sneaky)

I bought new, lighter and mainly 2 player games so we'll both be equally new going in based on some helpful threads here (Patchwork / Hive Pocket/Bonanza/Exploding Kittens) and a co-op (Forbidden Desert) and she's slowly started picking them up.

Netflix still is the primary use of time, we're not at a stage where she'll pick a game instead of the remote, but I think we're getting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
My wife is very supportive in terms of making sure I have time to go to big events (like SaltCon, or the Logan Game Days), but at the same time she does wish I'd cut back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on the same level but I buy 99% of all the games. She is not super excited of all the Kickstarter projects I back but luckily I am free to do what I want with my own money (And she usually enjoy the games once they arrive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
She is very supportive. When I go out, she knows that I am not at some bar drinking or flirting with women. She knows that I would never give up a gaming opportunity for such frivolous activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in number 3. Glad to see it's the most common situation, as I've seen so many depressing posts here about hiding games from the wife etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akash Swain
India
New Delhi
New Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of principle, I always decline to take a girl home if she's too drunk for an all night session of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection is actually our collection. Most of them are mine, but a few are ours and some are even hers outright.

My better half plays games, though not as often as me and not as many games. I attend the local store's weekly board games night as often as I can, she has been once about 2 years ago.

I am part of a couple regular groups with friends, my wife is part of one of them, that meets once a month.

So she's a gamer and fully supportive of my hobby, but not as into it as I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
She is my main gaming partner, she likes them excluding a few rare exceptions, but isn't interested in this hobby as I am. I'm the one who informs about news, purchasing, rulebooks. She is the one who plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Wilkinson
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kintarouji wrote:
She is my main gaming partner, she likes them excluding a few rare exceptions, but isn't interested in this hobby as I am. I'm the one who informs about news, purchasing, rulebooks. She is the one who plays wins.

Fixed that to reflect my position
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Canales
Switzerland
Pully
flag msg tools
badge
That's my spot... You're on *my* spot...
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm typically curious towards new game mechanics and fiddly new rules, my wife is quite a bit more selective. She has her favourite mechanics, themes, the pace of a game may not suit her, etc...

She's fully supportive though, buying me games, suggesting to visit my favorite stores when we are in town, I couldn't be asking for more.

TLDR: I collect, she selects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She left. HAPPY NOW?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Dawson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
My Family always knew I loved board games and were happy to play the normal kind (risk etc) for birthdays, xmas and stuff. Then I bought Robinson Crusoe and my lovely wife played it with me - she enjoyed it - but not as much as watching Suits on netflix if given the choice. Around November last year I thought stuff it, I want to play these games and I will just go to a board game night somewhere to play and also started to buy the games I had been looking at for so long. Introduced wifey to Pandemic and she loved it! bought games for all the family and friends at Christmas and we have not stopped playing since - I am no longer weird (well ok thats probably not true but you know what I mean)
current favourites for my wife and daughter are Agricola, Voyages of Marco pololimecamel and pandemic/forbidden Island - my boy enjoyed Betrayal at house on the hill.

Still waiting to introduce archipelago and a blinged up merchants and maraudersarrrh. as the family are huge Pirates of the Carribean fans - difficult to explain the game though as I know that they will be shouting "not so much rules, more like guidelines"

This evening my wife suggested we play agricola instead of watching netflix - its a first and I consider it a triumph!!

sometimes I think its about finding the right game to hook people in - my wife loves haggling - she thinks shes is the best at getting a deal in the world - having played Chinatown last week I am convinced that she will love that game
H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
She's a TV junkie, I'm a board gamer who dislikes TV. She has her hobby, I have mine. Hard core gamer married to a non-gaming wife, 24 years married next month, no issues to date over my gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
About 6 years ago, we were running out of decent shelf space for games.

She suggested we convert the garage into a gaming room. Not like, put tables in. Fully finished room addition, knock down a few walls... It just became an additional room on our house we call the Gaming Parlor.

When her mom gave us $100 for an anniversary dinner, as soon as we stepped out of the house, she said "Let's get a pizza and some games".

I came home from work to find a pile of 7 or 8 new X-Wing ships on the table and a note that said "I'm sorry, but they were on sale".

It's equal at least. But she doesn't like forums so she doesn't use the account she set up here except to research new purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I both enjoy playing games, but I am the one who is more passionate about the hobby. She has a BGG account, but rarely ever signs on while I spend a lot of time on here. I am also the one who seeks out new games and for the most part am the one who teaches those new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves boardgaming about the same as me. The main difference is that I have a wider interest in games whereas she is more into lower luck, thinky Euros.

Which I adore too, just I like to play other stuff as well.

Anyway, my son digs the wider taste I have too (Star Realms, Summoner Wars, space minis, etc.)

My idea of coming into the hobby was that there would be lots of epic, historial games or space themes. I imagined I'd be taking over the world, blowing up space pirates.

My wife thinks those themes are <yawn> and her idea of epic gaming is raising cattle on a farm <yawn - though I do love the mechanics!>.

We both rate Vital Lacerda as our fave designer.

My wife is more restrained in her buying, she tends to point out, we haven't played these games, why buy that game? I don't think we need both Caverna and Agricola, let's go Agricola.

She will sometimes go for themes that surprise me if she thinks the mechanics interest her or it's from a designer she likes, like Scythe and Merchants & Marauders.

She occassionaly finds dice okay if she feels you can mitigate the luck a fair amount, like Euphoria. Dice in Summoner Wars she hates - too luck-driven, whereas I find them okay and they keep things uncertain. I am hoping she will like Troyes. We'll see!

Aside from boardgaming, we have quite a lot of common interests. e.g. we both love stargazing.

This makes it easier to put funds towads stuff as we both benefit a lot from the purchases (ahem, apart from my wargames and Amerithrash section). The minus is that there is nobody sensible left to say, you have 100+ boardgames, do you really need another?

I can live with that problem.

For my wargaming, which my wife is totally not into, I am hoping to get a bunch of solo plays in. I have set myself for me a quite ambitious 10x10 challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the records to show that in 2-player sessions of certain games I cannot raise my win rate above 40% ... or even necessarily maintain at 40%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose option 3, although none of the options accurately describe the actual situation. I know my wife thinks my collection has gone a bit off the edge and that spending two days at Spiel is a bit nuts , but she does enjoy playing games with me(and will often propose games herself), with the kids and on weekly game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ToxinX wrote:
As a matter of principle, I always decline to take a girl home if she's too drunk for an all night session of Agricola.

You Sir, are a true gentleman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest issue for him is staying out until the wee hours at game nights. His definition of wee hours and my definition are very different things.

In terms of calling it quits I would consider 3 AM unreasonable, 2 AM pretty late/dont make it a habit, 1 AM ok and totally within the bounds of reason, and 12 AM to be normal/typical and the mental marker at which I would anticipate most game nights tapering off.

My husband CANNOT wrap his head around gaming past 10:00. To him, getting home at midnight is just......like....totally INSANE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a gamer when we met some thirty seven years ago so there was no surprise there. The surprises came later.

I suppose I could elaborate. She views it as a harmless, nerdy sort of thing and I suppose I am a harmless, nerdy sort of guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoys playing certain games, such as Battleline, Love Letters, Splendor, Pandemic, and Condottieri. She will occasionally play Commands and Colors Ancients or Battlecry. She doesn't enjoy the heavier wargames, but that's OK, because I have others I can play those with. Oh, and she was totally cool with me turning our finished basement into a gaming room/man cave. Basically, she's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.