19 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Choice of faction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Grant
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Currently waiting for my copy on pre-order. From my understanding, factions should be allocated to players at random. But I have seen some blog posts where players have chosen factions that they enjoy playing, and I can see how this would be fun. Is random selection of factions important for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all. I let everyone pick their factions and then hand out the bottom mats randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
It's really your choice. I will say this, some factions are easier to use than others. Depending on the skill level of players it's been pretty beneficial for our group to give the easier factions to them for their first game so that they can learn the game better. Red, Yellow and Blue are generally easy to use factions. Black and especially White are harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
I think all of the factions have the same difficulty to play with but perhaps different difficulties to achieve mastery of. The difference between each faction is only one small rule change and yet it has a significant impact on their gameplay I have found which I quite like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of the Beautiful things of this game.
I can reccommend you download the App ScytheKick. It helps you randomize. It also helps you with scoring and Automa configuration if you would play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is your game and you should play how you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, I randomly hand out faction mats, and if someone wants a different one instead (usually because they want one they haven't played with recently), they can choose a different one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tovey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
At my table I would (still waiting for my copy) suggest that players pick their faction. The random element would only come into play if players can't decide or their is overlap on preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
When we play, I randomly hand out faction mats, and if someone wants a different one instead (usually because they want one they haven't played with recently), they can choose a different one.

Do you do the same with the player mats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group deals out faction and player mats randomly, then allow for one veto for each player of either draw. The vetoed choice can only be replaced from the left over mats.

This has worked fairly well to curb repeat favorites and encourage trying different combinations while allowing for alternatives if dealt the same faction you last played. It also keeps us from getting into point buys or bidding as in Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilbert: Not as much for player mats unless a player receives the exact same pairing. A big part of the game is figuring out the puzzle of your faction/player mat pair (opposed to just selecting a player mat that does exactly what you want it to do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
msg tools
mb
I've played Scythe 5 times now with completely randomised factions; twice as Rusviet and three times as Polandia.

I don't know when I'm next playing, but when I do, I might ask if I can have mine randomised with the three factions I'm yet to play with. As Jamey said, part of the game is figuring out the puzzle of your combination, and I just fancy experiencing a different faction.

I think that's pretty fair, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Capone
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Definitely download the Scythekick App on your phone. It is free.

The way we originally chose the factions was that we would place both player and faction boards face down. the game's previous winner selects first, and the only time they can reselect is if they get the exact same pairing from the last game.

However, with the Scythekick app, now it randomly generates. I give every person one "repick" (it is in the App). The "repick" is final. That way, we can get to the board faster, and get at least one, sometimes even two games in. We played last night, and finished in about 90 minutes. Three players, all experienced.

I hope this helps. Download the App.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If only Scythekick were on Android.
2. We randomly pick factions as well as action mats. The only time I've changed that is taking Rusviet away from my son when we had some new players learning the game. No need to make it TOO easy for the shark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Grant
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
An interesting range of answers. Thanks all! I expect I'll go random to start with. But on the other hand, Polania looks so cool cool. I'm also wishing Scythekick were on Android - but speaking as a software developer myself I know that's a lot of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
JamesRGrant wrote:
An interesting range of answers. Thanks all! I expect I'll go random to start with. But on the other hand, Polania looks so cool cool. I'm also wishing Scythekick were on Android - but speaking as a software developer myself I know that's a lot of work.

As others have said your game, play it the way that makes you happy. If Polania looks real cool to you and you want them to be your first then totally go with them.

I will give you this one piece of advice though. Polania is considered one of the the harder factions to play. This is not because they have difficult or weak abilities. Contrary their abilities are actually fairly easy to understand and utilize. This is actually due to them having the worst starting hexes of any faction. They do not have access to either oil or metal, arguably the 2 most important early game resources so Polania players usually need to get creative with how they get their mechs/upgrades. Some of our players were slammed pretty hard by this when they did not properly plan around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play by the official rules, yes, each player is supposed to get a random faction and player mat. However, I feel that it isn't a huge deal if someone wants to play a specific faction instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
JamesRGrant wrote:

As others have said your game, play it the way that makes you happy. If Polania looks real cool to you and you want them to be your first then totally go with them.

I will give you this one piece of advice though. Polania is considered one of the the harder factions to play. This is not because they have difficult or weak abilities. Contrary their abilities are actually fairly easy to understand and utilize. This is actually due to them having the worst starting hexes of any faction. They do not have access to either oil or metal, arguably the 2 most important early game resources so Polania players usually need to get creative with how they get their mechs/upgrades. Some of our players were slammed pretty hard by this when they did not properly plan around it.

2 Trades on any action board & you're there. The trick is realizing that as a new player. I make sure to point this out to new players when teaching the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luuk Van Aken
Canada
Lacombe
Alberta
flag msg tools
We always pick our faction, usually one close to where we are sitting, and hand out player boards randomly. Seems to work fine this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.