Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Helix Ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick O
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Does the Helix Ring consume both a light and a dark or just one or the other?

It has both of them shown on the card with "X"s through them but it seems like it would be really hard to set that up. (Really hard probably means that is what you are supposed to do. The Dark Souls of board games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We got this the other night. I am pretty sure it is one or the other from when I looked at the card. I am not home currently to double check if it had the slash between them, which would help designate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook pg 24:

"If an ability contains multiple separate augments, the player may choose which augments to use in any order. If a single augment lists multiple element uses, all elements must be used to activate the augment."

It sounds like that card is a single augment with two elements, so you would need to consume both to get the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
Wow, that card is kind of useless then. As a Scoundrel/Mindthief combo there will never be light on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
dont forget that monster can also create elements
dont forget there might be items that create elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Kooreth wrote:
Wow, that card is kind of useless then. As a Scoundrel/Mindthief combo there will never be light on the board.

It's almost like you have to take your party composition into account when choosing which items are most beneficial instead of every item just being a mindless power upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kooreth wrote:

Far from useless. Just not currently useful to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Cragheart just sold this trinky for the gold! Bought me that poison dagger I've had my eyes on.

Of course then I lost the other 5 gold getting ripped off at dice in town. Stupid good reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording of the effect of this item is somewhat confusing to me. Does the ring heal all damage I have suffered so far in the scenario, or on the turn that I activate it? I read this as a "full heal" intention, because it's way too narrow otherwise. It's specifies during your turn, and there are not very many times where you take damage during your turn (traps, retaliate).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
Kooreth wrote:

There's a class with a card that creates both elements in one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
The wording of the effect of this item is somewhat confusing to me. Does the ring heal all damage I have suffered so far in the scenario, or on the turn that I activate it? I read this as a "full heal" intention, because it's way too narrow otherwise. It's specifies during your turn, and there are not very many times where you take damage during your turn (traps, retaliate).

Thanks!

It's all damage that you have suffered. The "on your turn" is there to indicate that you must use the item on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrangVP wrote:
Kooreth wrote:

There's a class with a card that creates both elements in one action.
And equipment that can create any element...
I think Mana Potion is level 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
And you could upgrade a card to create the element. We've found that ring to be quite strong, on classes with high hitpoints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just, uh... Don't try to use it while you're Poisoned.

Not a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
Just, uh... Don't try to use it while you're Poisoned.

Not a good time.

The wording of this seems to circumvent poison and Wound as it heals all damage rather than doing a "heal" action. You would return to full health but still be poisoned and/or wounded. Yes?
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so Tim. If you were wounded, you'd lose the wound and be healed fully. If you were poisoned, you'd just lose the poison condition.

FAQ under Items. "If an item says "Heal X damage," this is functionally equivalent to "Heal X, Self." It interacts with wound and poison like any other heal ability."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helix Ring has actually been really good in my current team (Lightning Bolts and Triple Arrows)

Class spoilers
Berserker can fluctuate in health much more freely, while Quartermaster is pretty good at giving a few more uses of both items as well if needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.