Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to announce that 11th annual Golden Geek nominations for the Best Games of 2016 are now open!

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users. The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

For Board Games
---------------
- Board Game of The Year
- Best Strategy Game
- Best Thematic Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation
- Best Expansion
- Best Print & Play (See Rules Below)
- Most Innovative
- Best Solo Game
- Best Podcast
- Best Board Game App/Videogame
- Best Cooperative Game (New Category)

For RPGs
--------
- RPG Game of the Year
- Best Artwork & Presentation
- Best Supplement
- Best Podcast

For Video Games
---------------
- Video Game of the Year
- Best Visuals/Artwork
- Best Indie Game
- Best Mobile/Handheld Game
- Most Innovative Game
- Best PC Game
- Best Xbox One Game
- Best PS4 Game
- Best Wii U Game
- Best 3DS Game

The changes this year include the following:

- Added Best Cooperative Board Game to the board game awards.
- Removed the PS Vita video game award.

The current rule for the Print & Play category is that the nominees for this category may not be a title that has been, in the process of, or announcement of it being published or crowdfunded during the award period.

Games or Podcasts that have won the Golden Geek Award in the past are not eligible to be nominated.

Here are the specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient),voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended permanently from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 10 items in each of the categories. The 10 items with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees.

The board game nomination page is here.
The RPG nomination page is here.
The video game nomination page is here.

The final voting will be resolved using a condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 10, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run until 12am midnight CST Tuesday, February 21, 2017 and the final voting for 2 more weeks after that. - March 6th 2017. The winners will be announced shortly afterwards.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!

Please share this post and spread the word that the nominations are starting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anthony-Duricko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"The Game Is the Greatest Escape"
badge
Me with my daughter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
- Removed the PS Vita video game award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Speaking from complete self-interest: it's too bad that there's no "indie game" (or perhaps even "debut game") category for board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KaiHerbertz wrote:
Speaking from complete self-interest: it's too bad that there's no "indie game" (or perhaps even "debut game") category for board games

There is always Print and Play.

Hmmm. No category for abstract games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Hmmm. No category for abstract games?

We've removed the Abstract Games, and Children's games categories from the board game award due to lack of participation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Video game nominations could use some more categories. Most of the important aspects about video games have nothing to do with the console they are played on, yet half of the video game categories are console-specific.

I'd like to see categories more in line with the board game categories, i.e. genre specific: Multiplayer, RPG, Platformer, Puzzle, Adventure, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was hoping Abstract and Children's categories would be back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hopefully the use of the Schulze Method for determining the winners is revised. The method is completely inappropiate for these awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Bowling Green
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Experimental Meds (expansion for Pandemic: The Cure) seems to be missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a search to add Plan Orange (C3i Nr 29 magazine wargame) to my list, would like to see it on the main list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am missing the Multiuniversum: Project Cthulhu expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I voted! Tough decision making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What is "the list of suggested nominees" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do we nominate things that aren't on the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
How do we nominate things that aren't on the list?

You can search for them. That's how I managed to nominate the 2016 Eldritch Horror Expansion, which wasn't on the list.
It worked for board games, but I am not sure whether it works for RPGs and Video Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would a 2016 game not be on the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a lot of Nominations! Great games this past year folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Coffee Roaster - for solo game- says a different year but I think the majority of the publications were 2016 even though the first one might have been 2015. I would still consider it a 2016 release.

I also want to mention Hanamikoji is a different year and should be considered for 2016 even though it is not on the list. such a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some games that might optimistically have been thought as 2016 titles but which will eventually get to market this year - like Bethel Woods, which is on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
russ wrote:

Coffee Roaster - for solo game- says a different year but I think the majority of the publications were 2016 even though the first one might have been 2015. I would still consider it a 2016 release.

I also want to mention Hanamikoji is a different year and should be considered for 2016 even though it is not on the list. such a great game!

Second these titles. Coffee Roaster is my #1 for that year in terms of solo gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright- there were four games on the list that i'm super excited to nominate:
Guilds of London
Garbage Day
Imhotep
Ticket to Ride: First Journey (but sadly, no more kids category, or this should win)

Also, I've always wondered what Aldie does with the gold that people tip him. He already has the unlimited gold machine. I can see him swimming around in digital gold (less painful than the Scrooge McDuck vault diving).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
(less painful than the Scrooge McDuck vault diving).

His name is Scrooge McDuck in the US? Wow...fascinating stuff one can learn at BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
There were a few games that stood out as exceptional to me this year.

Great Western Trail gave me the single best gaming experience I've ever had. Every time I play that game I love it more and more. The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire was a strong 2nd and Evolution: CLIMATE was a solid third.

If you have 4 players who know how to play Energy Empire, it can play so fast and smooth. You play to the board, and while you are dealing with your tableau the next player is playing to the board. By the time you finish with your tableau it's your turn again. The only time this flow is disrupted is when the Global Impact cards are revealed. This game is like a well-oiled machine!

Energy Empire is amazingly satisfying and I wish there were a "Best Worker Placement" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb
jhope wrote:
I did a search to add Plan Orange (C3i Nr 29 magazine wargame) to my list, would like to see it on the main list.
Was 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.