Hide
7 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » Variants

Subject: CUSTOM DICE: D8's - D10's - D12's (TO DECREASE HIT PROBABILITIES) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marchino
msg tools
I made custom dice: D8's - D10's - D12's.
These dice have the same symbols of the regular ones so they have also blank faces (two blank faces for D8's, four blank faces for D10's and six blank faces for D12's). Blank faces are "MISS".
My group of gamers and me play this way: units don't roll less dice versus enemies on hexes that grant cover. Instead attacker rolls dice that makes more difficult to hit.
Example 1: infantry attacking in close assault a wood hex rolls 3D8's (see terrain examples below for details)
Example 2: infantry attacking a wood hex at range 3, rolls 1D8 (see terrain examples below for details)

Here's some terrain examples (I made stas for every terrain type):
WOODS/JUNGLE/BOCAGE: infantry attacking woods rolls D8's, tanks roll D10's and artillery rolls regular dice

CITIES: artillery attacking cities rolls D8's, infantry rolls D10's and tanks roll D12's (tanks that attacks from a city hex roll D12's)

SANDBAGS/HILLS: infantry and tanks attacking sandbags/hills roll D8's, artillery rolls regular dice

BUNKER: artillery and tanks attacking bunkers roll D10's, infantry rolls D10's in ranged attacks and D8's in close assault.

This way every terrain type may be characterized more in detail.

In the beginning I feared that this variant could make the game unbalanced but we playtested it through at least 30 overlord/breakthrough scenarios and everyone appreciated much this variant (and now we always use custom dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever suits your fancy.
For me it would complicate things unnecessarily...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to pick one example (tanks firing on infantry in woods) you've significantly changed the probabilities.

In normal game, such an attack has a 50/50 chance of causing one casualty, and a 16% chance of causing a retreat.

With the d10s, those tanks now are virtually guaranteed a kill (90% chance), with a small chance (just under 1%) of killing three, and a fair chance of killing two. You have also nearly doubled the chances of getting a retreat.

To me, that's far too big a change in the odds to say that balance hasn't been affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eldon
United Kingdom
Verwood
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
The profile picture is of the first cruise ship I worked on called the TSS Canberra. I ended up spending 10 years working on this ship. The plane in the photo is a British "Canberra" bomber taken from the Rock of Gibraltar
mbmbmbmbmb
house rules are good provided that they are explained and understood by all players.

For me the original rules work just fine, so i have never seen the necessity for house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
Just to pick one example (tanks firing on infantry in woods) you've significantly changed the probabilities.

In normal game, such an attack has a 50/50 chance of causing one casualty, and a 16% chance of causing a retreat.

With the d10s, those tanks now are virtually guaranteed a kill (90% chance), with a small chance (just under 1%) of killing three, and a fair chance of killing two. You have also nearly doubled the chances of getting a retreat.

To me, that's far too big a change in the odds to say that balance hasn't been affected.

How do you figure 90% of at least 1 hit from tanks firing on wooded infantry? He's saying you roll 3d10. Each d10 has 4 misses + normal 6 faces. So 3/10 are hits. 1 - .7x.7x.7 = 66% chance of at least 1 hit. 2.7% chance of 3 hits. So still too high, but not as bad. You could use 3d12 to lower the odds, but the key problem with this is that there is still a chance of getting 2 or 3 kills. M44 is all about killing that last figure in a unit - decreasing the number of dice an opponent can roll against you not just decreases the odds of kills but can make it impossible for him to completely eliminate the unit. By rolling the same number of dice for all terrain allows you to negate this aspect by rolling lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:

How do you figure 90% of at least 1 hit from tanks firing on wooded infantry? .

Advanced age and too many co-codamol tablets...shake - you're quite right! Either way, certainly doesn't DEcrease hot probabilities as the title of the thread suggests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
To give him the benefit of the doubt, he is decreasing the hit probability per die. But being able to always roll 3 dice for tanks and CA inf/arty negates the lower per die hit probability. It seems like tanks would dominate in this system, always rolling 3 regardless of terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.