Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we have the shiny new forum, I'll ask the question on everybody's minds (or maybe just mine). We've all read countless threads about games to lure wives and girlfriends into gaming - but those lists of games are targeted at nongamers. What are you looking for in a game? What game do you love that never shows up on those lists?

For me, I like a game with theme (I bought Trias just because I wanted a dinosaur game - and I love all the little plastic trains in Railroad Tycoon) and I like a game where I build myself up rather than tearing down my opponent. In fact, I love building-up games in general - as evidenced by my collection (Goa, Blue Moon City, Hacienda, Tikal, Railroad Tycoon, Power Grid, Runebound, etc.). I also like the good party games - Taboo, Attribute, etc. With the right group, they're a ton of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games with a strong economic element. Something about money appeals to me somehow Power Grid is always a favorite. Lately I'm liking wargames but have a hard time finding players. I love me some Battlelore, but hubby won't play

I like off-beat themes. California has taken some ribbing for its interior decorating theme, but it works fine for me.

Don't like - games with too much downtime, too much AP. Too many auctions can get tiring after awhile too, although that mechanic is so common that I mostly don't mind it. But if I've just played one game with auctions, I'm usually happy to play something without that mechanic next game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christa Haley
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like abstract strategy games, especially if they play more than 2. Yinsh, Ingenious, Qwirkle, and Pente are some of my favorites. I also like trick-taking games, especially Sticheln and Tichu (sort of trick-taking)

That being said, we're gamers or we probably wouldn't be here talking about this. These aren't necessarily the games to use to lure women to the geek side. Like with anything else in relationships get to know the person you're interested in. If your girl doesn't like blood and guts, you're probably not safe taking her to a Quentin Tarantino film, right? It's the same with games. I'm an arachnophobe. Hive wouldn't be the best choice to bring to the table. I like trick-taking and magic, so Poison would be a good choice. We all like different games for different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krobbins426
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a good question! I am still trying to figure that out. My husband has been studying for his comprehensive exams for several months now, so the amount of gaming we have been doing has been almost nil recently. (Thank goodness the exams start tomorrow!) We have several games from a large Thoughthammer order I placed that we have not played yet because he "did not want to learn any new games." (This has been a big bummer since I sprained my ankle and have been in a cast and on crutches for 3 months. cry )

The AI San Juan, Ra, and Ingenious have been a lot of fun while he has been studying. (He has also gotten into San Juan by borrowing my computer devil )

Despite all this, I am thinking about putting together another Thoughthammer order. devil It's a long summer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Susan. I like games with lots of theme. I especially like Civ games and railroad/transportation games. I like building new cities, developing technologies, expanding transportation routes.

My favorite game is Code 777. The reason I like it so much, is that although I am competing with others, I can't interfere with anyone and no one can interfere with me. Also, the game is even handed.

Economic aspects can be fun too. I think this is why I like 1830 so much. Even though it can be cut throat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie Rogers
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a lot of boardgames. I definitely like trying to score points rather than direct conflict with a player and trying to eliminate them. I LOVE card games. Traditional card games and non-traditional ones as well. I like strategy, but only as long as it isn't hard to pick up on. I am wary of Puerto Rico because it seems like so much to keep in mind (but I know we will tackle it eventually).

Right now we like to play Tichu, Sticheln, St. Petersburg, and Schotten-totten (though with the sticheln deck). We have a HUGE Thoughthammer order waiting for us when we get back to the States which is incredibly exciting for us.

And I didn't like Lost Cities. Why play Lost Cities when Battle Line is so much better!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to the BGG scene, but right now, I'm trying to shoot for games with two-player goodness that scale up well. Most of my gaming is with my husband, but when family comes over, we'd like our games to cover them, too. Because of this, most of what I want or am wanting are either "gateway" games (Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Cartagena) or above-average children's games (Froggy Boogie, Geistertreppe). And I want my games to clock in at ~60 minutes or fewer. And I want a pony.

Mostly, I want a reasonable amount (not brain-burning) amount of strategy layered with an interesting theme and topped off with neat, efficient bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time answering this sometimes. I guess I tend toward the middleweight games with lots of theme and room for social interaction. On the other hand, I love evil, backstabbing trick-taking card games, such as Sticheln, Die Sieben Siegel and Bottle Imp. It's taken me a very long time, but I'm becoming more comfortable trying to be competitive.

My favorite games tend to be "group solitaire." It's often hard to get people to play them, but once in a while I can get takers for Candamir, Amazonas or Anno 1503. I love Notre Dame now.

The one game I will always play is Alhambra. It plays best with three or four, but five or six can be chaotic fun. There's lots of room for trash talking and having some laughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like short games (an hour or less), variety, games that reward thinking but where it's not over til it's over and where the best laid plans are always somewhat contigent and may have to be abandoned. I like different games for different moods and different groups. I like new games. I like playing a bunch of different games in the same genre and figuring out which I like the best and why. I appreciate elegance in game design and am especially delighted when I find a game a preliterate kid could play but I also find entertaining. I game for fun and, generally, to have fun with people I already know and like.

I have little or no interest in party games, CCGs, role-playing, or war games. Rarely care about theme (and when I do, I'm more likely to be turned off than turned on by it). And I never would have guessed I'd like dexterity games as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe Robinson
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was all set to write "I like cooperative games!", but that isn't precisely true...I love the humming feeling of a really close endgame, when you've done your planning well, and know you can pull it out in the next turn if...and keeping the poker face. In my secret heart I love competition and winning, especially when the competition is thought-provoking and pushes your skill level.

What I don't like in games is resentment, which I've found usually comes from that helpless, "Well, dang, no matter how I do the math I'm screwed, and I'm still in this for the next two hours...". Games with cheap There's Nothing I Can Do About It moments. I've found in cooperative games, this either happens less, or when it does, you're all in it together, so it's not as horrible, somehow.

Which I guess means I like games with ballance.

I'm afraid I have a hard time reading rulebooks; I learn by playing. So I avoid games with too many variations in the rules themselves (but not strategy or components).

I'm most fond, I think, of games with an economic basis. But I really like a lot of different kind of games, so that's kinda like me saying "I really like pie", while when it comes down to it, I could eat the whole bakery, oven included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play euros, but also enjoy some Ameritrash (hate that term) and some abstracts. I love card games, especially trick-taking ones. I love games with confrontation. I get a little angry when people generalize and say women don't like direct confrontation in games. Any game where I can screw you over to help myself is a game I will play. I like to pick on my husband in games, which is sometimes unfair, but always fun. I also enjoy rolling dice and prefer tactics over strategy.

Some games I enjoy: Blokus, Mü & More, Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Tichu, Excape, Lost Cities, Diplomacy, A Game of Thrones (First Edition), Masons, Thurn and Taxis, Memoir '44, Lord of the Rings.

Things I don't like include pure auction games (Ra, Modern Art), thinky multiplayer solitaire (The Princes of Florence), and long boring strategy (Caylus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I didn't want to jump in there and ruin your fun, but I can't help it now, since you are all listing some very cool games.

Which of you are going to Origins? If you are, lets do some gaming.

I noticed a few posts with Tichu...PLEASE COME FIND ME! I have yet to play this face to face. I'm addicted to online play at the moment.

For those into abstract....anyone interested in Navia Dratp? If so, again, PLEASE COME FIND ME!

To Denise....you mentioned you like war games. Which? I have only played Crusader Rex and Hammer of the Scots, and I am looking to get in a game at Origins of one of those. I don't own either one, but I will once I get there.

Also, my group usually plays Werewolf on Friday and Saturday night there, so if you are interested in playing, PLEASE COME FIND ME!

I can usually be found at the Jolly Roger Games booth, so just ask for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my usual vein I will quote some statistics which may or may not help the discussion:

Geeklist: His 'n Hers in which 5,500 of the ratings of the BGG female membership are tallied and compared to 14,000 of the ratings of the male membership.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred games tend to be heavy with as few auctions as possible. I don't mind some luck, but I prefer games where the element of luck is overshadowed by strategy.

Most of my favorite games are pretty dry (Blokus, Caylus, Antiquity, Roads and Boats, Age of Steam, Deflexion/Khet), but I have a soft spot for silly (Tier auf Tier, Los Mampfos, Casa Alfredo, Loopin' Louie). I also like a well-constructed wargame (though it's hard to find the time to play one). My all-time fave wargame is Paths of Glory, with WWII: Barbarossa to Berlin close behind it. I'll try just about any game once!

EDIT: Oh, and re: theme, a well integrated theme adds to my enjoyment, but balanced game play is way more important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Preferences
I like a game that has some meat to it, this usually means longer things. There is such a thing as a game that is too long, Fredrick too 10 hours last time we played, even coming in half way though I was ready to be done long before the game was over. I like economic games, but not debt (my mental block with Age of Steam).

I like games were the board shows you the action, I really like this is power grid, and it is something I appreciated about Caylus. Theme is not so important to me, I am really liking UR lately which is very lightly themed and have recently played some of the more abstract series like Tamsk. What I like about these is the emergent properties, simple rules to learn, hard games to really master. I do like some randomness though, thus my preference for San Juan over Puerto Rico.

I am learning to like card games, but it was a steep learning curve since I had never played before. My grandmother did not think that ladies should play cards. Now that I have some of the basic skills I really enjoy Tichu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mama Rat
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mozilla wrote:
I'm pretty new to the BGG scene, but right now, I'm trying to shoot for games with two-player goodness that scale up well. Most of my gaming is with my husband, but when family comes over, we'd like our games to cover them, too. Because of this, most of what I want or am wanting are either "gateway" games (Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Cartagena) or above-average children's games (Froggy Boogie, Geistertreppe). And I want my games to clock in at ~60 minutes or fewer. And I want a pony.

Mostly, I want a reasonable amount (not brain-burning) amount of strategy layered with an interesting theme and topped off with neat, efficient bits.

Sounds like your taste in games and usual gaming situation are similar to mine--it's usually me and my hubby, but once a week or so we'll add another couple to the mix, so we need games that work for 2p-4p. Strategy is good but too much is exhausting, quick is good, fun is mandatory, theme is important but won't make a bad game good, bits are the icing on the cake. I hate war/politics/negotiation/backstabbing stuff. yuk I'm glad to see you like Cartagena, we're planning to get that one.

Some of our favorites are St. Petersburg, Alhambra, Through the Desert, Attika, Mykerinos, Thurn and Taxis, Augsburg 1520, Fairy Tale, Blue Moon City, Candamir, Samurai, Clocktowers, El Grande, Guillotine, Louis XIV, San Juan, Pillars of the Earth, Power Grid.

For strictly 2p games, I recommend Lost Cities, Odin's Ravens, and Kupferkessel Co.

For 3p+, I love Amazonas, Frank's Zoo, Oasis, Wizard, and Razzia.

For accessibility to non-gamers, we've had great results with Clocktowers, Guillotine, Frank's Zoo, and Wizard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a wide variety of hot and cold entries! << travel by ferry joke.

I mean, I enjoy a lot of different styles of games:

- silly: Loopin' Louie
- dextarity: Pitch Car, Crokinole, Villa Palenti (I should check out elkfest)
- luck, but not too much: backgammon, Um Krone Und Kragen
- lighter: Ysphahan, Oasis, Mesopotamia, Der Untergang von Pompeji
- heavier: Caylus, Elgrand, Shogun, Power Grid, Age of Steam, Railroad Tycoon, Capitol, Union Pacific, Showmanager (if only I had my own copy)
- heaviest: Die Macher
- two player: BattleLore, Aton, Blue Moon, Starship Catan, Pizzabox Football, (just found an almost complete copy of Bloodbowl that I'm looking forward to playing)
- some abstract games: ingenious, backgammon, some of the Ice House games: Gnostica, Volcano.
- card games: Bohnanza, Blue Moon, Clocktowers, Iliad, Schotten Totten, Battline. (I would really like someone to teach us Tichu)
- some party games Time's up, Wits and Wagers
- just starting on war games: Hammer of the Scots and I am awaiting Hannible: Rome Vs Carthage.

Games I don't like are pure auction games: Ra, Modern Art. I just can't seem to develope a winning strategy with auction games or the auction mechanic. As it is so prevelent in games, I'm gonna have to figure it out some how or other.

And finally, if anyone cares.....

MostHatedGame: Rummoli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Raphael
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

What I really want is a guy about 40, single ...

oops boardgames ok
I really like Pillars of the Earth, Notre Dame, Union Pacific, Acquire, Princes of Florence, Power Grid, Imperial, San Juan.

I also enjoy party games: Celebrities, Wise and Otherwise, Take Your Best Shot, Wits and Wagers

Deduction: Black Vienna, Zendo, Eleusis(although I am terrible at this I really do enjoy it)

I am very fortunate to live in an area with so many gamers. I have a great group of friends I love spending my weekends with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel and Jared Van Bussel
Canada
Pincher Creek
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bite:

Word games: (Taboo, Scattergories) I especially like these types of games as 'party' games with large groups of people.

Building games: (Carcasonne, Settlers (C&K being my favourite incarnation), Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, Torres) I really enjoy games that involve trying to beat my opponents by building more than them rather than tearing down what they have. Cleopatra is really fun for that.

Humourous games: (Nuclear War, Munchkin, Great Brain Robbery, Gloom) I like games that leave our gaming groups in stiches - some games have even brought me to tears I've laughed so hard! Bonus points for tongue-in-cheek geek humour.

I tend to stay away from overly strategic/war-based games as I can't seem to wrap my head around all the possibilities each turn presents. That said, I am warming up to some (Diplomacy, for example) and Samurai Swords will always hold a special place in my heart, but that has more to do with the fun our group had playing it and the fact that it was my future husband who introduced the game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie Rogers
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syhra wrote:
but that has more to do with the fun our group had playing it and the fact that it was my future husband who introduced the game to me.

That's exactly why I think I love cheapass games so much. He was the local demo monkey for them and introduced me to most of the games. They are fun games, but I think part of my love of them is that when we play Kill Doctor Lucky or Lord of the Fries I get a little nostalgic and sappy. Good times.

I don't think I mentioned but I LOVE party games. My husband isn't too keen on them, but I adore them. I grew up with Scategories and Balderdash (in fact, I have a slightly amusing story about Balderdash and how I got the scar on my knee).

I'm so excited to be moving to Indiana! I feel confident that there will be many gamers in that area (thank you gencon!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syhra wrote:
I grew up with Scategories and Balderdash (in fact, I have a slightly amusing story about Balderdash and how I got the scar on my knee).

Ok, let's hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie Rogers
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patt wrote:

Ok, let's hear it!

Ok, but I'm longwinded and go into too much detail when I tell stories. So, you've been warned!

When I was 14, my family was having a nice big family dinner with some relatives that were visiting. My family actually gets along with each other and we enjoy each other's company. So it was decided, that we should play Balderdash. Unfortunately, the only copy of Balderdash was in my cousin's house across the valley. (Side note: I lived in the country and my family resided in a large valley so we had houses scattered throughout it. I'm country folk!)

My cousin's children and I were tasked with the job of collecting the game. To get to the house, though, you had to walk across a damn and if you followed the road, you had about half a mile of walking. OR! You could just take the deer path (made by real deer) up the side of a hill/cliff. Lazy us, we opted for the more difficult deer path. It's fine going up because our hands were empty and we could use them to climb. Coming down is a different story.

I was the oldest so I had to carry the box back. Again, we decided to take the deer path back down. The descent started out ok, but at the end of it is a steep drop that you have to hop down. Well, my legs got tangled up in some kudzu and ended up falling off the drop down onto the gravel road. Since my hands were full, I wasn't able to use them to catch myself (which probably saved me from a broken arm). When I stood up to dust myself off (swearing like a sailor and trying not to cry in front of my younger and scared cousins) I noticed some gravel stuck to my knee. I tried to bush it off and realized that it was actually embedded into my knee (right below the knee cap). So I gently picked it out and started bleeding. I think I started crying then. Poor me. Anyways, the story doesn't end there!

My cousins and I limped back to my grandparent's house (where the dinner was being held) and whimpered about my problem. My family swung into action! They distracted my mom with some kitchen work and snuck me into the back bathroom (she gets panicky). Luckily, my cousin is also an ER doctor so he knew what to do. He examined my knee, cleaned out my gravel hole (it was about a centimeter deep wound in my knee) with soap and alcohol. Ow. When he finished, he covered my knee pit with some paper towels and taped it to my leg. Then he casually announced that I needed to go to the emergency room.

But first, he wanted to eat dinner and play Balderdash first. My cousin has a weird sense of humor, so we figured he was teasing about the stitches thing. So we are a nice big dinner and spent two hours playing several rounds of Balderdash. When we got done, he stood up and stretched and then told me it was time to go to the emergency room. I wasn't very amused...

So, that's my really boring and way over-explained but still silly story about how Balderdash game me a scar in my knee. And how my trip to the ER got put on hold for about 3 hours so my family could have them some Balderdash fun.

My cousin totally won Balderdash, too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a geeklist about the games that women love. Please feel free to comment on it! Someone tagged it as 'sexist'. I don't know what was his intention. He could tag this thread as 'sexist' on the same basis.

I try to answer to the question that what women really require from a boardgame. I present 14 criteria that has to be filled in order to make a game the ultimate womens game. It appears that I bring out some of the same ideas that you brought out in this thread. I think it means that I am fairly succesful.

Joe's geeklist is also worth to look. It's maybe too biased for my taste though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22429

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
In my usual vein I will quote some statistics which may or may not help the discussion:

Geeklist: His 'n Hers in which 5,500 of the ratings of the BGG female membership are tallied and compared to 14,000 of the ratings of the male membership.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers
Joe

So are you going to update this anytime soon??

Should I try to make a point of rating a few dozen more games in the next few weeks?

2005 was a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe Robinson
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobitti wrote:
I made a geeklist about the games that women love. Please feel free to comment on it! Someone tagged it as 'sexist'. I don't know what was his intention. He could tag this thread as 'sexist' on the same basis.

I try to answer to the question that what women really require from a boardgame. I present 14 criteria that has to be filled in order to make a game the ultimate womens game. It appears that I bring out some of the same ideas that you brought out in this thread. I think it means that I am fairly succesful.

Joe's geeklist is also worth to look. It's maybe too biased for my taste though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22429

I donno...just looking through the replies on this thread, I don't know that you can set requirements for an Ultimate Woman's Game. Everyone has their own tastes, you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.