- BrainUnited States
I have only played this game casually about 10 times or so and I love deck-building. However, I mostly play with my brother who does not like the deck-building aspect. And when we play, we usually don't have the time to do it. So I usually have a few premade decks ready to go. When I heard that the game was ending, I decided to build as many different decks as I could and not worry about the deck-building aspect of this game anymore. I have a "complete set" (that is 3 Core Sets, the 2 Deluxe Expansions, and all 18 War Packs). I ended up making 27 decks (3 Decks for each of the 9 Factions).
Lately, I've seen quite a few people asking for this same sort of thing, so I decided to post my deck lists to give people inspiration for their own.
Here was my criteria for the decks:
- I wanted them to be fun. There is more of a priority on making a deck that was fun to play with then it winning all the time.
- I wanted the decks to be roughly balanced
- I wanted each deck to have a slightly different feel (even within the same faction)
- No proxy cards
Here were my guidelines to make it work:
- Each deck was only 40 cards instead of 50. This was to make the decks a little more consistent and it allowed me to fit all 27 decks into just one core set box.
- I tried not to use any Promotions, Rogue Traders, or Void Pirates. I did end up using 1 thrown in a couple decks that were really lacking in command.
- I tried to keep the decks "thematic" when possible. For example, Sicarius' deck had most of the Ultra Marines.
- I tried to keep sets of the same card in just one deck. For example, only 1 of the SM decks had Honored Librarians in it. This was to keep each SM deck feeling very different. However some of the cards like Tactical Squad Cardinis were 2 in each SM deck. I also spread out some of the core command units and cheap units.
- I tried to make sure the really good cards for each faction were not overused. I either ended up not using all 3 copies in a deck or I split them up amongst all 3 of the faction's decks.
- I tried to use some cards that at first glance made me think that they weren't very good
- I wanted to include some high cost units even though it would really bring up the cost curve for the deck because it's fun to play the crazy powerful expensive units
Here is the link to where my deck lists are:
Deck Lists for Complete Set
Please remember that I intend this to be a starting point for others. I am very happy with the way the decks turned out for me. Since some factions had 4 Warlords, I just picked my favorite 3. If you're trying to use these lists, of course feel free to change them however you want.
Lastly, I wanted to talk about storage. I wanted to make sure I could fit everything in one core set box to make it easier for storage and transport. Each deck is stored in a 3"x4" clear bag (that you can buy really cheap in the jewelry section of hobby stores or walmart).
Stacking the decks 3 high I'm able to fit all 27 decks plus the token cards as shown here:
Then I put all of the other components flat on top of that. I can fit the rulebook and box lid without putting strain on the box.
- [+] Dice rolls
- Dan Van KampenUnited States
- Nice work! Thank you for sharing!
- [+] Dice rolls