Parlay» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Poker and a Word Game, too good to be true? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Reimann
United States
Salt Lake City
flag msg tools
"I'll see your Z and raise you and L" No this never happens in the game. I thought it did when I bought this game but this game does prove that it is possible to play both a poker game and a word game at the same time. I don't think that its fair to judge this game by poker standards. It's a word game with a poker mechanic in it. I know the box says "all the fun of poker and a word game rolled into one", but its untrue. We've been lied to. Saying this is a poker game is like saying Shadows over Camelot is a poker game because you use poker hands to combat black knights, saxons, and a red dragon.

I've found that poker playing players want more betting to be involved and word players don't get why they have to make a poker hand. However the game plays well with any number of players, I've played with as few as 3 and as many as 9. Its easy to learn, even though it has kind of a convoluted scoring method.

I don't think that the game should be considered a poker game because it lacks the betting, bluffing, and the feeling that you have something to loose. I know they tried to add those elements into the game by letting you "bluff" a letter and "bet" the points that you could get if you "fold" and just score your word. In the game you make a word out of playing cards with letters on it worth x number of points. You can double it or get a length bonus if you hold your cards for the poker round where everyone that held their cards check to see who has the best poker hand. Even if you win the poker hand and double your word you have to have the most points in the end or you get nothing, someone could have a better word. So you "bet" the points winner takes all. Some of the words I just used are "poker" words but just because I "fold, hold, and bet" doesn't mean I'm playing poker.

All and all I think the game is a fun game but I don't think that it should be compared to scrabble or poker as it is it's own game with it's own merits.

Presentation (Theme, Quality of Parts, etc) 5/10
Pretty much just a modified deck of playing cards, pass fold tokens, and a score sheet. Not much here.
Game Play (How fun it is to play) 7/10
If you can get it out of your mind that your not playing Scrabble or Poker you can have some fun times.
Investment (Cost in Money and Time, time to fun ratio) 7/10
You can choose how many rounds your going to play or a point value to shoot at, as well as what kind of poker game you want to play as it plays well with most poker variants.
Strategy (depth of game) 2/10
Make big word.
Overall (not an average) 6.5/10
This at heart is a word game. I like most word games. If you do too I recommend this one.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.