Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Battlefoam questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, Im looking at making some battlefoam trays for all my ships so I stop breaking stuff , had a couple questions.

1) Im on the custom tray creator and I dont see the Z-95 Headhunter listed as a pre-designed cut out. Looking through the non-custom designed trays they seem to have a different shape for the z-95 and the X-Wing, so I dont want to use the X-Wing one. Does anyone know if the Z-95 is just hiding or something?

2) How long does it take them to put the new ships in. Im tempted to wait for them to do the wave 10 ships, but dont know how long I might be waiting for.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on past waves, they would usually have Wave 10 ships in there by now. I'm surprised they don't.

The X-wing shape is perfectly suitable for the Z-95, except ... I wouldn't use the X-wing shape at all. Their custom shapes waste a LOT of space. Given the durability of the X-wing models, there's no good reason for it. I've been storing mine as below (see my Gallery for pics), and have never had a damaged ship.

* Store X-wings and Z-95s nose-up in 1/2 x 1-1/12 rectangles. (The foam needs to be 1-1/2+ deep for this, of course.)
* Store TIEs with classic panels in long rectangles.
* Where possible, stack ships. This is super easy with most of the small ships, and surprisingly easy with some of the large ships. (The most impressive space savings come with, e.g., the YV-666.)

Again, take a look at my Gallery for ideas. I have 100+ ships (and tokens, etc.) that I fit in four trays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Based on past waves, they would usually have Wave 10 ships in there by now. I'm surprised they don't.

The X-wing shape is perfectly suitable for the Z-95, except ... I wouldn't use the X-wing shape at all. Their custom shapes waste a LOT of space. Given the durability of the X-wing models, there's no good reason for it. I've been storing mine as below (see my Gallery for pics), and have never had a damaged ship.

* Store X-wings and Z-95s nose-up in 1/2 x 1-1/12 rectangles. (The foam needs to be 1-1/2+ deep for this, of course.)
* Store TIEs with classic panels in long rectangles.
* Where possible, stack ships. This is super easy with most of the small ships, and surprisingly easy with some of the large ships. (The most impressive space savings come with, e.g., the YV-666.)

Again, take a look at my Gallery for ideas. I have 100+ ships (and tokens, etc.) that I fit in four trays.

I agree, mostly. I stored my TIEs in long rectangles. You can easily get 14+ TIE in one long 12" row. As for my X-Wings and Z-95s. They are just a bit taller than 1.5 inches. So I keep at least 4 together in a single rectangle space. I could keep a couple more easily. Jeff is right I don't like the X-Wing default cutout. It too easily breaks the guns as well. The only issue with the way I store the X-Wing is you keep to be just a little careful. When you grab one you may pick a a couple interlocked with each other. No problem as long as you're friends aren't getting them for themselves.

As for the A-Wing and Y-Wing they are both stackable with up to 3 in a standard Battle Foam cutout out. The HWK-290 you can stack 2 easily. E-Wings and the S&V fighters also stack well. Remember that when counting cutouts verses ships. If you have 4 x Y-Wings you only need 2 cutouts, if you have 6, you still only need the two.

I have far more than I need for each sides in an Epic 400 point battle. All of that fits very easily in a single bag, complete with Epic ships, Large Ships, a fair amount of S&V though Wave IX and plenty of 3d obstacles and asteroids. All in a single Battle Foam bag and if it wasn't for the non-X-Wing stuff I'd still have plenty of room left to fill-up.

One word of caution. Plan ahead! Okay that's two words.

Foam is expensive, so think of what you want to store. If you plan on buying future wave wait on the foam until you have a tray completely filled. If you do buy early get the pluck foam until you know what you really need.

Last to thoughts. If you compare the 432 to the 720, the 720 is a much better deal for the space you get, inch for inch and $ for $.

Finally Battle Foam runs at least two sales a year. Memorial Day should be the next. Both the 720 and 432 tend to be 30% off. Of course there are no guarantees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.