Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Ok, i'll admit it...i am a bit overwhelmed by this game...the size... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the sheer number of components, the scope of the game, etc...being Super Bowl weekend I had no intentions of diving into the game this past weekend anyhow, but now that FB is def over...I guess I should get busy, so:

- what exactly do I need (cards, to punch-out, etc.) if I want to start with a 2-player generic dungeon "test mini-game"?

- and then the same for a 2-player "starter" scenario #1?

thanks...(hopefully I can slowly ease my wife into this as well, without both of us getting overwhelmed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1721124/getting-started-set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of it just has to be known by the person running it. Everyone else just has to know how their characters work, and how combat goes. The rest of it (setting it up, separating the components, unlocking things when they're supposed to, remembering road/city events, leveling up, monster ai, etc) just really has to be known by one person to keep everything running.

Congrats, as the owner, that's most likely you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

- what exactly do I need (cards, to punch-out, etc.) if I want to start with a 2-player generic dungeon "test mini-game"?

- and then the same for a 2-player "starter" scenario #1?

For starterrs I don't recommend doing a test mini-game; you should just jump right into scenario #1. There is no penalty for failure except you have to do it again in order to progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the owner (and person who will have to explain it to my group), I did a small test game over the weekend.

It took quite a couple of hours to punch everything and sort it all and set up the first scenario. I had already read the PDF of the rules.

While setting up, I did NOT do a city or road event. I figured that I'd save that for our first group game. I didn't apply the stickers to the board.

I played through the first two rooms of the first scenario in order to figure out how tactical combat worked, to learn what monsters did, etc.

Then I packed all the material (cards, tokens, etc.) needed for the 1st scenario into one zip lock so it'll be ready for setup when my group starts.

And repacked the boxes for the characters I used.

I feel MUCH better for having played through several turns of combat. I now understand much better how it actually plays.

And having not placed stickers nor done events, I still have the legacy elements that my group will experience together the first time.

And I don't have to spend an hour trying to find just the right parts for the first scenario from among the piles of stuff.

I found a "test mini-game" to be really great. I could have finished the first scenario, but having done two rooms of combat I understood how it worked and saved experiencing the finale for a group experience.

Good luck whatever you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^This is what I did with both groups I am going to be playing with this weekend. I wanted people to get an idea of the mechanics and classes so that we could make informed choices for the campaign. So we played through the first scenario without anything from town or anything special, didn't disclose the treasure, didn't keep gold or experience, etc. It was a good experience. Some people decided they didn't like the playstyle of their character and will be changing. But overall I think that the practice game idea was good and will make for a better experience going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.