BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hard folding board or neoprene playmat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Family Gill
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Given the option, if you bought a mid- to high-end game, would you prefer it came with a hard material folding board or a neoprene playmat? Coming from MtG I am personally a big fan of playmats, but wonder if it is actually as awesome as I think or if a hard stock board would actually be a preference.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
flag msg tools
Re: Card stock board or neoprene playmat?
Personally, I like playmats for card games and card stock for regular board games. I think cards are easier to pick up with a play mat, but boards generally look a little bit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you actually mean card stock (the material used to print cards) or the thicker material used to make a foldable board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Do you actually mean card stock (the material used to print cards) or the thicker material used to make a foldable board?

My thoughts exactly. A cardstock board would be awful :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Family Gill
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The folding board material (post amended to reflect this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cost is the same (which it seems like it wouldn't be just given how much they charge for playmats, but I don't know) I'd take a play mat if it could fit in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with so many things, it depends.

Things that playmats do better:
- Easier to pick up cards and tiles as there's a bit of give
- Easier to slide cards and tiles around as it's a bit slicker

Things that hard boards do better:
- Better print quality
- Actually lie flat as they fit in boxes more easily
- Easier to implement multi-part or modular boards (for example Tobago or Samurai)
- Easier to implement additional components attached to the board (for example the stone crusher thing in Via Appia or the gears in Tzolk'in)
- Cheaper

Playmats would work really nicely for a card market, for example in Star Realms, but for most other things, I think I'd prefer a hard board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not both?

Pete (envisions a thin layer of neoprene on a sturdy, foldable cardboard base)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Family Gill
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
Why not both?

I like your style

I'm asking as I'm getting further and further into game development and am seeing the two options pop up more and more - I think I like the idea of a sort of "core" neoprene board with "cardstock" components that can be placed atop it.

More to come in the future, mulling lots of ideas as of yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neoprene mats are much more expensive to produce and are much heavier to ship. This more than anything, drives the decision from the publishing end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Why not both?

Fold that board 10 times and it'll look like shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the neoprene playmat for card-based games. I was once playing with a guy who was having trouble picking a card up off the table, and he forcefully bent the card to pick it up and then slapped it down forcefully (out of frustration) to play it. I recently acquired a large mat to cover the whole table in hopes to prevent future situations like this.

Neoprene isn't too bad for dice either if you want to dice rolling sound muffled. It's not something that really matters to me either way, but I know some people like it.

Otherwise, I feel like boards are a better option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playmats for card games.

Legendary Encounters for example has the mat that rolls up and fits in the box nicely.

My Xenoshyft Dreadmire Kickstarter came with a playmat, but it doesn't fit in the box. And that annoys me greatly.

For non card games, a board is preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To re-iterate others, neoprene mats are just simply better for card games. We play on a pool table and if a game has a space for individual cards on the board, I'm often annoyed as the cards would be easier to pick up if they were just on the table itself!

I recently say, although didn't get to play the board setup in the Vikings Gone Wild kickstarter. It came with 2 boards. A complete one. then one that had a track for the 6 top cards (which is narrow enough to just slide the cards off) and then a score board with spots either side to place the other cards. This is a great situation for me.

But if it's a game with miniature/wooden components moving around a board. I'd always choose it to be an actual board as the presentation is nicer and your can get more detail in the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coltbeatsall wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

You don't do wargames, do you? Card stock would be an UPGRADE (many have --gasp!--paper maps/boards).

To the OP. I'd prefer a hard, folding board in most cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
coltbeatsall wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

You don't do wargames, do you? Card stock would be an UPGRADE (many have --gasp!--paper maps/boards).

To the OP. I'd prefer a hard, folding board in most cases.

Actually, I'd prefer paper over cardstock for a board. Cardstock does not fold well at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as boards go, modular ones interest me most (ones made out of tiles, and preferably thick tiles at that), after that my preference is for mousepad/neoprene over cardboard/wooden/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In theory, I like the idea of neoprene mats, especially for card games or really anything with lots of small, flat bits. Unfortunately, the one board game I have that used such a mat highlights some of the problems.

I won a copy of the game Cube Quest, which uses a multi-piece, neoprene playing mat as its board. The biggest problem was evident the moment I opened the box. The mats were rolled in the box and absolutely can not be made to lie flat. I could also never get the seams of the mat to line up neatly. This was actually a big problem for a dice flicking dexterity game. Unless the game's box were made big enough to store the mats flat, this will always be a problem for this game.

The other thing I would point out about that game was that the artwork on the neoprene has a decidedly faded look and lacks the visual pop of games printed on boards.

Not that hard boards are perfect either—seams that wear out, seams that won't lie flat, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Why not both?

Fold that board 10 times and it'll look like shit.
I'd be far more concerned about warping of the cardboard. If it's cut right I don't think the folding will be an issue.

Pete (does think the side attached to the neoprene will tend to bow inward over time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.